Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-08-06, 11:41pm

Default What's it gonna take?

Hi everybody. I've been out of circulation for about 5 years and man have I forgotten a lot! Anyway...

I'm thinking about starting up my studio again. I sold almost all of my soft glass but still have all my boro rods and frit. I'll be sticking strictly to beads.. maybe I'll move back to soft glass but the options have changed so much!

I want to know the optimum set up to get good boro color - a question that has been asked from the dawn of time, lol.

Tanked oxy is out because I'll be in the basement with the furnace and water heater, etc. But, I do have natural gas.

I was thinking about a Lynx with two linked oxy cons. What do you think?
Old 2018-08-07, 10:20am

I don't think a Lynx on nat gas will be efficient.
Old 2018-08-07, 3:41pm

I would call GTT and talk to Wally if you are looking at a GTT torch. They really helped me as I set up my new shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-08-08, 8:18pm

Okay, thank you.
Old 2018-08-30, 4:11pm

Bottom line is GTTs are great torches but they do require a good source of high pressure high purity oxygen to be at their best and medical concentrators alone just dont supply either. There is no free lunch
Old 2018-08-31, 1:20pm
ManBearPig

Have you considered a homefill system? I have one for running my Phantom. Works great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2018-09-08, 9:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Have you considered a homefill system? I have one for running my Phantom. Works great.
any recommendations?
Old 2018-09-08, 11:58am

I am also just back to the forum after a few years, welcome back.
I would be concerned of a larger 02 concentrator or two in an confined place. It does remove the oxygen from the air. Also there is a consideration of drawing fumes (negative pressure) from the furnace.
Old 2018-09-08, 6:10pm

Destonomos- check here You will have to register to see the page http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...light=homefill
I have a medical fill system that I use for my K-tanks. Works well. I'm on a Mirage. Had to get the right fittings. You can google "oxygen home fill system"

Old 2018-09-08, 6:13pm

Check this thread on a fill station http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...n+fill+station

Old 2018-09-10, 8:52am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destonomos View Post
any recommendations?
I have this one. Been running non stop for about two years now.

https://www.oxygenplusmedical.com/co...m-concentrator

Old 2018-09-10, 9:02am

Chad, what size tanks are you filling?
Old 2018-09-14, 9:54am

I also have a homefill system with a phantom! The system includes the oxygen concentrator/generator as well as the 02 compressor (the important piece for filling a pressured tank) It's slow filling a large tank but totally worth it. There's lots of ways to connect the system for filling only or filling and running a torch live. Safety first though...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
Old 2018-09-26, 1:08pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Chad, what size tanks are you filling?
K tanks

Old 2019-12-27, 4:58pm
funny mofo

Okay, I'm a little late here, but the GTT Scorpion is designed to run just fine with natural gas and a 10 lpm oxycon. I know because I have one. It runs even better with more oxy, but doesn't everything?