No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-05, 4:44pm
birdergirl ~o~

Cool NYX Tips Please!!!

Can anyone give me tips on using NYX ~ I can't do a search as the search engine doesn't do 3-letter words!!
Do I have to kiln strike the rods before I use them or will they strike after I make the bead and then anneal it ( probably a dumb newbie question here! )
I bought some a while ago and just tried it today~ got a very plain blackish bead.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-09-05, 4:47pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Can anyone give me tips on using NYX ~ I can't do a search as the search engine doesn't do 3-letter words!!
Do I have to kiln strike the rods before I use them or will they strike after I make the bead and then anneal it ( probably a dumb newbie question here! )
I bought some a while ago and just tried it today~ got a very plain blackish bead.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!!!
Did you wave your bead in a reduction flame until you saw the silver come to the surface and it changed color to a lightish blue?

Old 2007-09-05, 4:51pm

Hmmm, I just reduce it a tad. Try rolling it quickly in the bottom of a medium reduction flame for an iridescent look. Reduce longer to bring out the blues.

Also, you can search for 3-letter words in LE by using google advanced search and restricting it to the Lampworketc.com domain.
Old 2007-09-05, 4:57pm
Storm Queen

The light blue dots at the top are Nyx with a quick roll in a reduction flame until they turned light blue.

The greenish mirror effect stripe just below the ivory dots is also Nyx as are the raised blue dots at the bottom. Totally different effects with the same glass.

Nyx is probably the easiest for me to get to turn. Really just needs a quick roll in a reduction flame.

Old 2007-09-05, 4:59pm
birdergirl ~o~

Great ! Thanks!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2007-09-05, 5:29pm
Missing presumed fed

I ignore the kiln strike aspect of Nyx. Just reduce it very carefully until it does something you like, then stop. Knowing when to stop is the hard part. Mine never seems to change in the kiln.
Old 2007-09-05, 6:04pm

I don't kiln strike it either... just lay it on and do some slight reduction about halfway up in a medium size flame... i continue to do that until i see the "oil slick" silvery look on the bead... here's one of mine...

keep trying! it's beautiful once you get it to play nice!

melanie

Old 2007-09-06, 5:51am
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks everyone I'm reinspired!!
What gorgeous beads!!!
Great tips ( why don't they send these when you buy the glass????!!!)