Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-30, 8:23pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Default Kiln program for annealing 104 & boro together

Somewhere a while back I saw a thread or a webpage that had an annealing program that allowed you to make your boro pieces, then have the kiln cool down & hold at a suitable temperature that you could make beads in 104, then do the rest of the annealing cycle, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know the thread (or webpage) that I'm talking about or can anyone tell me the kiln schedule please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-12-01, 7:18am

i'd just program a boro annealing cycle, and when it ramps down to 980f (ish) have it hold at that temp while you play with soft glass. then have it ramp down as per soft glass schedule.

i'd be concerned about the temp fluctuations when opening the door (with a kiln full of boro) to put in the soft glass creations.
Old 2014-12-01, 8:12pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Hmmm good point, I will research it further, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-12-01, 8:15pm

You will need to know the thermal shock range for borough.

Barbara
Old 2014-12-01, 8:57pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i'd just program a boro annealing cycle, and when it ramps down to 980f (ish) have it hold at that temp while you play with soft glass. then have it ramp down as per soft glass schedule.

i'd be concerned about the temp fluctuations when opening the door (with a kiln full of boro) to put in the soft glass creations.
It won't hurt it.

Do your boro, ramp down to 960, do your soft glass and then continue ramping down.

Old 2014-12-02, 11:47pm
Lizard rescue squad

^ Yes, what Shawnette said. And place the boro in the kiln as far away from the door as you can.

Old 2014-12-02, 11:55pm

Do it quite frequently and haven't had any issues.

Garage at 1050 for x number of hours. Do bigger boro pieces first ... finish with small stuff like beads ... hit skip step and let it ramp down to soft glass garaging range and hold for X number of hours ... when done for the day ... hit skip step and then have it do a regular anneal time after last piece goes in and regular step down.

Old 2014-12-03, 7:54am
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, that is great, I dont' play with my boro much anymore because I'm always working on an order or two of soft. Never knew this was possible. I just need to figure out my kiln better now LOL

Old 2014-12-06, 9:20am

The bullseye website has some great online videos. One of the free ones is programming your kiln. Really helped me understand the controller.
Old 2014-12-07, 10:40pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks everyone! I will have to work out my temps in celcius as that's what my kiln programs are in. I know I have my boro program set at a certain temp to garage, then it ramps up to a certain temp (I think it's 1050, but it's in degrees C) & holds it at that temp for 2-3 hours, then it ramps back down from there. I still have how I set the program & what temps/times etc written down in my book, so I will write another program up from that.

Thanks again everyone .