Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-05-11, 10:15am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
I send a SASE to ensure I get a letter/receipt back. I had one shipment last year where I ddin;t get one, so I started doing this and it has worked for me. Plus, it saves them a stamp.
Great idea for my future donations. Thanks! Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-05-12, 9:19am

Quote:
I send a SASE to ensure I get a letter/receipt back. I had one shipment last year where I ddin;t get one, so I started doing this and it has worked for me. Plus, it saves them a stamp.
Wonderful idea! It will certainly speed things up and saving $$ is always a good thing. A short inventory of the contents of the package also speeds up the receipting process.

Robert
Old 2011-05-12, 9:43am
Obsessed Blogger

Those are awesome and thank you to everyone who is answering the call!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
Old 2011-05-12, 12:10pm
Master Procrastinator

I was discussing the BOC progam with someone locally & they had a question....since many of the kids are immune suppressed, is there anything specific being done in the handling of the beads to make it safe for the kids?

Also, since some are very young are there volunteers that help them with the beads? I'm pretty sure there are but thought I'd ask.

Old 2011-05-12, 1:18pm
Obsessed Blogger

They are all individually inspected and re-packaged at HQ. I'm not sure if they do anything additional at the actual hospitals.

Usually the parents are the ones that help them and hold their beads if they are too young or out of it from medication.

Old 2011-05-12, 5:26pm
Master Procrastinator

Thanks Lori. I'll let her know.

Old 2011-05-23, 6:06pm
Loving learning

I know about the hole size, but I can't seem to find any information on the actual bead sizes that are preferable. I'm up & going now, and practicing making beads, and I'd just as soon make them (or try to anyway) a size that works best for the program.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2011-05-27, 12:09pm
Obsessed Blogger

Any and All sizes! Whatever you like to make!

Old 2011-05-27, 1:55pm
Loving learning

I guess what I'm really wondering is what is the smallest size that the AOC beads should be, or do even the very small beads get used? I'm new enough that I don't even really know what an average sized bead would be, LOL.
Old 2011-05-31, 10:46am
Obsessed Blogger

Spacer sized beads may get used in workshops for the kids or in stretchy bracelets that are made by volunteers for fundraising or in String of Strength fundraisers (like home parties).

13mm and up are used as Act of Courage beads. Very large beads are used for larger milestones, I believe but don't quote me on that one.

Old 2011-05-31, 12:10pm
Loving learning

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 2011-05-31, 12:42pm

Thanks Lori - that's very helpful information!

Quote:
Spacer sized beads may get used in workshops for the kids or in stretchy bracelets that are made by volunteers for fundraising or in String of Strength fundraisers (like home parties).

13mm and up are used as Act of Courage beads. Very large beads are used for larger milestones, I believe but don't quote me on that one.