No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-12-12, 8:20am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Default 2016 DH pinks

Can anyone tell me how to work these 4 pinks? I made beads with them the other day...the palest pink fumed golden. Is it supposed to do that? The second palest pink turned a gorgeous cranberry color, as did the third and fourth darker ones...just darker and richer cranberry. Are they supposed to strike? Are they supposed to reduce? I tried everything and all I got wasn't the gorgeous Golden with pink streaks and the three progressively darker and richer cranberry red. I'd really like to know what they are supposed to do and how to get the money to do it! I use a cricket with a 5 lpm oxycon and I have had NO trouble getting color from DH before...even got some color the other day from Pandora!! And advice would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2016-12-12, 9:52am
Slogan Challenged...

Which four pinks?
I find Khalypso and Clio have changes of color under encasement, depending on the base. They both reduce to a golden color.
I haven't tried Hyperion but apparently that can get a range of streaked colors or a more solid one too. Judith Billig has an interesting free tut on her FB page.
The DH cranberry pink - I haven't tried reducing that one, but I use it as a trouble free rubino subsititute. Well, I find I have a little trouble striking it evenly in spacers. There are still some clear gaps but it doesn't foam like gold violet. Really works more like Rubino without the dark specks from time to time.

Khalypso is my go to for scrollwork, just gorgeous. But for gold dots, I still prefer Aurae.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-12-12, 12:13pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Kristin, these are the 4 pinks that were in the boxes at the Gathering..they are named with letters and numbers...like PK64. That's not one of the names, but something like it. I use Khalypso and Clio and Aurae. These are the new experimentals.

Old 2016-12-12, 12:14pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Can anyone tell me how to work these 4 pinks? I made beads with them the other day...the palest pink fumed golden. Is it supposed to do that? The second palest pink turned a gorgeous cranberry color, as did the third and fourth darker ones...just darker and richer cranberry. Are they supposed to strike? Are they supposed to reduce? I tried everything and all I got wasn't the gorgeous Golden with pink streaks and the three progressively darker and richer cranberry red. I'd really like to know what they are supposed to do and how to get the money to do it! I use a cricket with a 5 lpm oxycon and I have had NO trouble getting color from DH before...even got some color the other day from Pandora!! And advice would be appreciated.

You mean the new Gold Rubies, yes?
Here's a thread about them http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ble+helix+ruby

I love that they're non-reactive, and easy to encase.
Helen Simon did some beautiful florals with them, they may be on her FB page.

Last edited by bluhealer; 2016-12-12 at 1:23pm.
Old 2016-12-12, 5:25pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Thank you! Yes...I didn't encase any of these...just wanted to see what they did.
The RG670A and the PL672 are almost identical..672 has a bit less purple in it.
Attached Images

Old 2016-12-12, 6:13pm
da General

Quote:
Thank you! Yes...I didn't encase any of these...just wanted to see what they did.
The RG670A and the PL672 are almost identical..672 has a bit less purple in it.
All four Gold Ruby from the Gathering were RO (not RG or PL) – RO670A, RO670B, RO673, and RO668. (Looks like the left one is the PL test batch that is a reducing color but not a gold ruby). They not reduce. Unlike Rubino, they do not turn livery when worked hot and long. They also don't react with silver glass and can be encased easily.

They are meant to be used with other glass – over white to get glorious pinks, as a core with silver glass (e.g., Clio, Hyperion) then encased and doesn't need a clear core and stays even and cranberry.

Here are my sample beads for RO670B. Large bead has the gold ruby as a core with Clio and encased.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 5.15.47 PM.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  16.4 KB

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2016-12-12 at 6:19pm.
Old 2016-12-12, 8:14pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

These were the only pinks in my box I got at the Gathering, so I thought they were all the Gold Ruby colors. So I guess I only got the one gold Ruby color in my box. All of the colors I used came out of my Gathering box...maybe mine were mislabeled...they definitely have RG and PL on the label. The RO668 is the only one that is labeled RO. All DH glass is cool, so I'm happy however they are labeled! I do love the 668...sigh. Such a clear, deep claret!

Old 2016-12-13, 11:26am
da General

Quote:
These were the only pinks in my box I got at the Gathering, so I thought they were all the Gold Ruby colors. So I guess I only got the one gold Ruby color in my box. All of the colors I used came out of my Gathering box...maybe mine were mislabeled...they definitely have RG and PL on the label. The RO668 is the only one that is labeled RO. All DH glass is cool, so I'm happy however they are labeled! I do love the 668...sigh. Such a clear, deep claret!

Then I think RO and RG are interchangeable ... DH numbers after the alphabets are all unique so the RG670A is the same as RO670A, etc. etc.

The PL is the only one that's not a Gold Ruby and it's the one shown on the left of your photo.

ETA: just saw your post in the other thread....hmmmmm perhaps it's mislabeled?

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-12-26, 8:02am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Might be....thanks for your input. As always, it's very helpful.

Old 2016-12-26, 9:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
All four Gold Ruby from the Gathering were RO (not RG or PL) – RO670A, RO670B, RO673, and RO668. (Looks like the left one is the PL test batch that is a reducing color but not a gold ruby). They not reduce. Unlike Rubino, they do not turn livery when worked hot and long. They also don't react with silver glass and can be encased easily.

They are meant to be used with other glass – over white to get glorious pinks, as a core with silver glass (e.g., Clio, Hyperion) then encased and doesn't need a clear core and stays even and cranberry.

Here are my sample beads for RO670B. Large bead has the gold ruby as a core with Clio and encased.

Attachment 161791
Hayley those are beautiful beads! Thank you for sharing the info of the purpose of the DH rubies I never thought about using them with Clio or Hyperion.