Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-12, 1:46pm
the 2 Michelle's

Default hate to beat a dead horse, but...

I haven't had to buy clear for quiet a while. Unfortunately it's time, so which one really is clear and has the least amount of scum/bubbles? I know there's some new kids on the block, any opinions?

I prefer stringer and I'm using up the last of my lauscha. Should I just stick with the tried and true? Last time I tried something new it was clear, but all my beads cracked.

Thanks.

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dragonfire; 2007-07-12 at 2:53pm.
Old 2007-07-12, 1:52pm

i'm sastisfied with lauscha!! never had it scum or diry up..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-12, 2:13pm
You talkin to me?

I totally recommend Lauscha. I have not been able to use anything else and have it turn out as nice as Lauscha. Even to try new stuff, I just can't.

Lauscha it is!

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2007-07-12, 3:56pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Where's the best place to get nice clean clear Lauscha? I've ordered it a few times & it would come with scratches, etc..

Vivian

-

Old 2007-07-12, 4:13pm
mystical cat lover 56

Please read Paula D' new tread on Lauscha - she will be getting clear
Lauscha
Old 2007-07-12, 4:34pm

I recently bit the bullet and tried moretti and vetro clear stringer. Bubbly and scummy.

Stay with lauscha.

I swear, I'm gonna order a pile through CR Loo, after seeing that price thing in the Lauscha thread

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-07-12, 4:59pm
da General

Just make sure you don't plan on putting Lauscha on any silver glass, including all the ASK silver xxx . . . it cracks. For silver glass, I use R4's Diamond Clear, otherwise, I stick with Vetrofond Super Clear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-07-12, 5:02pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I love the R4 Diamond Clear!! I've been using it rather than Lauscha because the last few times I've ordered clear it's been all scratched up.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-07-12, 5:04pm
Ezzy

i generally buy my lauscha from www.glassdaddy.com

it's probably not the cheapest but the service is exceptional
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-07-12, 7:57pm
Life is change. Love it

I love the R4, but it is expensive. It is absolutely the best for encasing Terra though!

Old 2007-07-12, 8:11pm

I use and have used lauscha clear for encasing, with no issues, even with silver glass. I'm more a fan of DH stuff than R4, though.

Never had cracking issues unless I admire a bead for too long, or use too much 92-96 COE frit. And I batch anneal.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-07-12, 8:32pm

I'll throw in another vote for the R4/Precision Diamond Clear. I haven't had any cracking, no matter what I encase, and it stays beautifully clear. Worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Old 2007-07-12, 8:54pm
Life is change. Love it

Evil, I love DH silver glass, I use it constantly. I have to say though, the R4 is absolutely the best clear around.

Old 2007-07-13, 7:50am

i thought there were cracking issues with laucha? i use moretti and vetrofond.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-07-13, 9:05am

Where do you buy the Precision Diamond Clear?

Lou
Old 2007-07-13, 9:09am
CA Queen Bitch

My favorite is still Kugler! Clear as a bell and sparkly!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-07-13, 9:22am
CA Queen Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisCamp View Post
Where do you buy the Precision Diamond Clear?

Lou
Here ya go Lou!

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-07-13, 9:29am
Sparkle Strumpet

Lauscha Clear....I've used nothing else since 2001. I buy it from Frank at

www.glassdaddy.com and have had no problems with cracking, even over the DH silver glasses.

Frank's service is the top-notch best in the business. (Much better than what I've had from other small suppliers...even ones you all know and love.)

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2007-07-13, 10:01am
Storm Queen

Another vote for Diamond clear.

Old 2007-07-13, 10:06am
the 2 Michelle's

thanks guys...I think I'll give the diamond clear a try...my ASK did crack with the Lauscha and I really love some of those colors.

I did have some issues with the Kulger, tried that when it first came out.

I'll get some of the Lauscha too though...it is good.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of the responses.

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

Old 2007-07-13, 10:38am
Redbearmountain

Default Clear glass!

Hello,

Where do you buy the R-4 clear glass? Glass Daddy does have exceptional Service! I have not had any problem with cracking. Jacque
Old 2007-07-13, 11:37am
CA Queen Bitch

see post 17 above redbearmountain

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-07-13, 12:02pm

Most all your glass has some kind of scratches in it. It doesn't appear on the bead though. I have yet to find a glass that has none. After the glass is cut it has to be stored and whether they are bundled or laid loose, the rubbing against the other glass will create the scratches.
I got in a new batch of Lauscha clear and looked at it and yes there are scratches in it. It just comes that way from the factory I guess. It shows up more on the clear though which makes sense since there is no color to hide it!

But I'll still use Lauscha over anything although you're all making the R4 glass sound pretty good. I should at least try it.
Who makes the diamond clear? Is that R4 as well?
Thanks
Irene

Old 2007-07-13, 12:26pm
da General

R4, Rocio, and Precision 104 (Frantz calls it that on its site) are all the same - Diamond Clear is the clear they make and it works best, IMHO, with its line of silver glass (and Double Helix's silver glass too!):

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-10-03, 10:22am

Tin City is now selling Lauscha clear online on a new website called "FlameDame.com". We have the standard clear and the new soft clear. We are in the Northeast for quick shipping. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !