Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-19, 12:01pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Default Hothead gas, what are you using?

So we all know MAPP gas was discontinued a few months ago. We've now come to the point where our local Home Depots are all out and so far no replacement. Is there a good replacement for the little 1lb canisters? What are you guys using and just as important, where are you buying it?

Janet
Old 2008-04-19, 12:06pm

I used bulk propelyne. switched when I could no longer get the Mapp in 1# things locally. I couldn't get Mapp in bulk either so I didn't have a choice.

I've since read that some people use propane.
Old 2008-04-19, 12:13pm
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I've also been on bulk propylene for years now - it's really your best bet.
Purity gas delivers to a lovely junk yard here in my home town.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2008-04-19, 12:39pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Thanks for your answers. I'm not really a hothead user myself, but I teach and I always thought that be biggest benefit of a hothead was the convenience of not having to drag a big tank in and out or storing it. I've noticed a lot of newer bead makers are a intimated by the use of big tanks and we all know you can't keep a propane tank indoors. Won't there be something available to replace the 1lb canisters?

And doesn't just propane give you a lot carbon or does the hothead suck in enough air to compensate for that? You'll have to excuse me, as I'm hothead challenged!

Last edited by Janetda; 2008-04-19 at 12:41pm.
Old 2008-04-19, 2:09pm

I read a great tip on here about 1 lb propane tanks at target ... i've read that propane doesn't burn as clean as mapp but i haven't seen a difference, and the shape of the tank prevents it from freezing as fast as the mapp gas ones did. They are also much cheaper like $5 for 2 cans. they are in the camping section. good luck
Old 2008-04-19, 8:31pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Wow! Thanks Anya! I'll pass that along to all my hothead friends.

j
Old 2008-04-19, 8:59pm
Fire Monkey

I used the #1 camping propane tanks at Target for several years.
It used to be about $2.70 for two tanks but it's gone up quite a bit in that last couple of years.
If you work your beads farther out in the flame you won't have the sooty build up.
It also helps to keep the bead moving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-19, 10:44pm
I practice alchemy!

I tried the one pound containers of propane and didn't have any trouble with it. I just work further out in the flame. There are threads here about where to work in the flame when you use propane. I still didn't like the icing up of my containers and I hated the pressure fluctuations. I switched to bulk propane and I'm much happier. Of course, sometimes my beads turn icky colors, but I got that with MAPP, too. Human error, not fuel...

Celeste
Old 2008-04-20, 7:11pm

Bulk propane, BBQ tank.
If I had to switch to tiny tanks, I'd use the coleman tanks--I've heard they freeze slower than the "torch" tanks (but really, I'd hate the thought of throwing away all those silly little tanks!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-04-20, 9:01pm
It's all about the color.

Bulk Propane here too. And I get mine from one of the exchange places as well because I know they will purge and the local little bitty places here who will fill your own tanks won't purge them for you first. I can tell on my tank if it wasn't purged or not to get the leftover nastiness out of the tank. If the tank has been purged, I can keep making beads on down till the gas runs out without having to think twice about it. If the tank has not been purged, I have to stop when there is about 1/3 to 1/4 tank of old gass left in it. If I don't toss it and instead try to make beads from it, that's when I have major soot problems - so I gave up trying to use it for anything.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-04-21, 7:16am
Glass my new Obsession

I use the 1 pound camping tanks inside and bulk propane when it is nice enough to torch outside.

Old 2008-04-21, 10:10am
Born Facing Left

I used bulk propane, BBQ tank when I had my HH. Worked fine.

Old 2008-04-21, 11:42am
Living Life Creatively

Default HH Gas?

I recently switched to a bulk tank of Chemtane, which I understand is basically propane with a special additive in it that makes it much cleaner than regular propane. I really love it and have noticed that it burns much hotter than when I was on the MAPP canisters too!
*Ü* Lori
Old 2008-04-21, 12:07pm

Bulk propane... Brian burns off the leftovers when he does canning.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon