No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-04-02, 4:34pm

Default Glass Storage- found the source for vinyl glass cubby

Ladies and Gents,

It's been a while since photos were posted and the source for these 3 compartment vinyl rail posts seems to have dried up but Abeadgal and I found them!

These are railings that have 3 comparments (for lack of a better word) that can be cut down, glued together with pvc pipe cement and will store glass much nicer than the round pvc pipe I am using now. (I'll go link to another thread in a few minutes that has pictures.)

The have to be SPECIAL ORDERED through Lowe's. They are manufactured by MiamiDadeCounty. They are listed as Model # 73061401S and are sold by Vendor # 73428. They cost $13.29 each-- I ordered 6 of them-- and there was no shipping charge for them to special order them for me.

I pick them up on April 11th so it takes about 2 weeks (or a little less) for them to come in.

Folks have been hunting for these and they have been almost impossible to find.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-04-02, 4:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

They still carry the ones that were originally referenced at many Lowe's stores - they're just not online any more. I just bought a bunch of them but they were $9.97 each. I think they must be cheaper if they are a regular stock item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-02, 4:40pm

Post #10 in this thread show you what they look like.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...+storage+unit*

Sue
Old 2011-04-02, 4:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
They still carry the ones that were originally referenced at many Lowe's stores - they're just not online any more. I just bought a bunch of them but they were $9.97 each. I think they must be cheaper if they are a regular stock item.
The new LOWE's in Bangor didn't have them. Several of us have been checking them all in our area, all the way to Rockland 50 miles away... nada. That's why I'm so pleased to have found them.

If anyone can find them in stock, great because the ones we found do cost more. Not sure if the price has gone up all over or if it was cuz we special ordered them.

I understood from the forums that these were almost impossible to find. Folks were saying they were being discontinued.

Sue
Old 2011-04-02, 4:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It must depend on the area

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-02, 4:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
It must depend on the area
I wish I was in your area! We've been hunting for these for almost a year. Kristi and I went to Lowe's and the guy was over the top helpful in trying to find them. They were not anywhere on his computer system. Trust me, we watched over his shoulder... we even pointed out directions to go with the screens we were seeing.

He finally went to the specialty catalog- lol, computers failed him so he turned to a paper catalog. Dinosaur that I am, I get a charge out of that!

I'm just glad we found them and thought others might want a leg up on finding them as well.

Sue
Old 2011-04-02, 6:08pm
Disconnected

So, if I ask the Lowe's close to me (which is what the website wants you to do) with all your references, how are they going to find them? I mean they're going to look at their computer and tell me "Nope, we have no such thing"

Old 2011-04-02, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
So, if I ask the Lowe's close to me (which is what the website wants you to do) with all your references, how are they going to find them? I mean they're going to look at their computer and tell me "Nope, we have no such thing"
I doubt they find them on their computer. We found them in the Specialty Catalog under vinyl fencing. The company is called "MiamiDadeCounty."

We got a really great guy to help us. He went above and beyond to find them for us.

I've been looking for so long that paying $13 and change was a bargain.

Sue
Old 2011-04-02, 6:55pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Yea, we have them here at both of our lowes for 9.97 each After the storms/tornadoes we had here the other day there was pieces of the fences everywhere on the road........Could NOT get my dh to stop for any of them!

Old 2011-04-02, 6:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Yea, we have them here at both of our lowes for 9.97 each After the storms/tornadoes we had here the other day there was pieces of the fences everywhere on the road........Could NOT get my dh to stop for any of them!
Oh that is too bad

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-03, 4:32am

Hey Sue! Thanks for posting this!! I've been in need of more storage and don't have enough patience to order from AS and guess whether or not they'll have it in stock or not . I'll check my Local Lowe's today.

Duane

PS I'm wondering if you could glue them together in such a manner to make a table top....and then use single PVC for the legs. It'll make a great little table to set up behind Playing with Fire...you could sit at the table, drinking your fav beverage, enjoy the pleasant seabreeze

and wipe away your tears after I've beaten you at cribbage

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-04-03, 4:59am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
I'm wondering if you could glue them together in such a manner to make a table top....and then use single PVC for the legs. It'll make a great little table to set up behind Playing with Fire...you could sit at the table, drinking your fav beverage, enjoy the pleasant seabreeze
You need to use pvc cement but a better (cheaper) idea would be 3/4" plywood for the top.

Old 2011-04-03, 5:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Hey Sue! Thanks for posting this!! I've been in need of more storage and don't have enough patience to order from AS and guess whether or not they'll have it in stock or not . I'll check my Local Lowe's today.

Duane

PS I'm wondering if you could glue them together in such a manner to make a table top....and then use single PVC for the legs. It'll make a great little table to set up behind Playing with Fire...you could sit at the table, drinking your fav beverage, enjoy the pleasant seabreeze

and wipe away your tears after I've beaten you at cribbage
Duane,

I'll let Virginia know you plan to do some re-decorating at PWF. Bet she'd be happy to give you a list of stuff you can get and do! I mean, why stop at a plastic table?

And then there is the WAKE UP, BUDDY yodel I have to give you because you're obviously dreaming if you think you can win at cribbage. You are going to be "wah wah babypants" after I whup you, dude.

And finally, you're welcome on the above storage info. Shawnette is right about using pvc cement to glue the cut up pieces together. I can't wait for April 11th when the rail pieces will be in. Little does my brother know he's cutting them up for me- or he's moving aside and letting me use his equipment. (He'd rather cut them up himself just to save his equipment, although I do insist on playing with his drill press. I love that drill press!)

Sue
Old 2011-04-03, 6:14am

There are two Lowes in my area that still carry them as regular stock, so it does depend on where you are. One benefit of them being phased out at our local stores: the last ones in each store went on sale for about $4 each.

I don't know if this holds true in all areas, but here, it seems like it is the two more rural locations that still carry them.
Old 2011-04-03, 6:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
There are two Lowes in my area that still carry them as regular stock, so it does depend on where you are. One benefit of them being phased out at our local stores: the last ones in each store went on sale for about $4 each.

I don't know if this holds true in all areas, but here, it seems like it is the two more rural locations that still carry them.
FOUR BUCKS??? Day-yum. Wish I'd have been there for that phase out!
Sue
Old 2011-04-03, 6:20am

That's why I have a stack of them on my studio's deck, LOL. I always think I have plenty, and then somehow, I don't.
Old 2011-04-03, 7:37am
Borovangelist

It's possible the price just went up on them as well. The price of plastics has gone up along with the cost of oil.

|
|
Old 2011-04-03, 7:50am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
That's why I have a stack of them on my studio's deck, LOL. I always think I have plenty, and then somehow, I don't.
I know that feeling.

Old 2011-04-03, 7:55am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
It's possible the price just went up on them as well. The price of plastics has gone up along with the cost of oil.
Still 9.97 here.

Old 2011-04-03, 8:05am
Mr Brutus RIP

no, still 9.97 here, we are always at lowes! LOL
Duane, table sounds good LOL
Sue, I try to do things myself if I can, dh always ends up with stuff crooked if its for me! LOL

Old 2011-04-03, 8:09am
Nikki Haverstock

Thanks for the info, I will have to check with Lowes.
Old 2011-04-03, 8:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

Umm ... These are just fence rails, if "big blue box" store does not have them try local or online fence suppliers any company who deals in PVC "corral" or "decorative" or "yard" fencing should be able to supply them...

GOOGLE could be your friend...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-04-03 at 8:40am.
Old 2011-04-03, 9:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Umm ... These are just fence rails, if "big blue box" store does not have them try local or online fence suppliers any company who deals in PVC "corral" or "decorative" or "yard" fencing should be able to supply them...

GOOGLE could be your friend...

Dale
Yes, that's what they are. Maybe it's different soil or something in Maine but these are impossible to find around here. I don't know what the deal is that some have them in their local Lowe's and we don't. Maybe the soil? Maybe the freezing winters? Who knows. All I know is several of us Maine lampworkers have been looking for a long time and I'm pleased Kristi & I were able to track them down.

Sue
Old 2011-04-03, 9:32am
Curmudgeon Engineering

An alternative to the fence rails are the square PVC downspouts sold at McLendon's Hardware around here. They are 2" in cross section x 10' long and run about $12. Used to be about $6 when I built my storage unit. They will hold about 3 pounds of glass each and can be divided by slipping a plastic divider diagonally into the tube.
PJH
Old 2011-04-03, 12:00pm

Sue, I'll bet you guys were really glad to find them! They are my favorite storage so far.
Old 2011-04-06, 1:24am
><>

I found mine out at the Redlands Lowe's out in the garden dept.
It was Christmas time and the guy manning the Xmas trees cut them in half for me so they'd fit in my truck. I got the 12' or 16foot ones because they were cheaper by the foot
than the 8 footers. You'll find them around here in rural areas (Riverside, San Bernardino County) and definitely near horse country. I searched them using Shawnettes's SKU from that old original thread. It's called "fence rail" no matter who you buy it from.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...+storage+ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I just measured mine and the stuff you found is the same size. It's just listed as 2x6. (Lowes Item #: 87348 Model: 61401S)
Similar #'s to yours Sue.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann

Last edited by jhana; 2011-04-06 at 1:36am.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:38am
MacGalver

I use the downspout as well, and it works great for me, since I tend to keep a larger amount of each color on hand...... I put mine in stackable shoe racks from walmart.... simplest glass storage ever!

Jo

Old 2011-06-16, 8:44am
Master Procrastinator

I know this is a somewhat oldish thread, but I have been making myself nuts looking for the fence rail. I went to Lowes & they couldn't find the catalog to even look for it. Then Sue (a different Sue) PM'd me the link she used to buy them online. Thought others might like it too. Just input your zip code & it will take you to a special order page. Free shipping to your local Lowes for pick up! YEAH!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_87348-73428-73061401S_0__?ipTrail=69.120.20.157&catalogId=1005 1&productId=3362766&pl=1&selectedLocalStoreBeanArr ay=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStore Bean%403a9d7857]&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dvinyl%2Bfence%2Bra ils&storeNumber=1917&Ntt=vinyl+fence+rails&langId=-1&errorURL=UserAccountView&storeId=10151

Old 2011-06-16, 9:14pm

Lea you rock!

Thanks

Julie
Old 2011-06-17, 8:54am
Master Procrastinator