Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-10-28, 6:36pm
birdergirl ~o~

Question Recipe for Opal Yellow: anyone have one?

Has anyone succeeded in making a close
"homemade" substitute for Opal Yellow ?
I want some bad~~~!!!

Cadia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2006-10-28, 6:46pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Opal yellow has so many different reactions, which "look" are you going for? Or are you looking for a magic mix that is also reactive?

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-10-28, 6:49pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'm really just looking for that warm soft buttercream color ~o~

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2006-10-28, 6:53pm
Entropy increasing....

Someone, I think it was Michelle, said they had heard that Ivory and striking orange.

However, opal yellow doesn't have the reactions with blues, so I don't know.
Old 2006-10-28, 6:55pm
Looking for my waistline

Try calling Frantz. He posted a little while ago that a shipment was en route. I saw another post recently that it might be restocked at Frantz. You'll have to call to be sure.
Old 2006-10-28, 7:14pm

Here is a page with tons of recipes.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads...or%20chart.htm

Old 2006-10-29, 4:46am

That is one awesome chart. Thank you for posting it.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-10-29, 7:47am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Someone, I think it was Michelle, said they had heard that Ivory and striking orange.

I tend to believe this based on a set of beads I did recently that has spots where my opal yellow struck/blushed orange. You can kinda sorta tell in this picture:

Old 2006-10-29, 8:48am
birdergirl ~o~

Thank you all for your tips - I know I can buy some but it's a little to pricey for my pocket right now ( and newbie status!) That's why I wanted a homemade alt. for now.
And Ginny, I adore your kalidescope focal bead the colors are so fresh and clear and the design is beautiful!
It's all I can do to keep my hands off it ! If someone doesn't buy it soon......

Old 2006-10-29, 9:27am
moth to the flame

I haven't trid mixing it with the striking orange, I mixed it using ivory and striking red.
Good luck!

I like how the OY has that blushed orange look in your beads Ginny, Pretty!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2006-10-29, 10:56am
runs with pruning shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan

However, opal yellow doesn't have the reactions with blues, so I don't know.

No, It was me (my favorite discovery...and I posted it all over )
It was an accident, when I grabbed the wrong color (trying to mix "horn")

At this point, I've done some experimenting with it. The old moretti dark ivory (the shocky rods, which look more like vetrofond light ivory) seem to work best. My mix was roughly 50-50.

I've used both striking orange, and striking red. The orange gives you more of that buttercream color- but the mix with the red can be struck to a rosy glow. The red is a strong color, so use slightly less than 50% in the mix- or play with it to get the color you like.
Aloha,
elise

PS: remember that all the handpulled colors can be mixed yourself.
While I'm not 100% certain, I don't think this is close, I think this is it (i.e. the mix they use)
Old 2006-10-29, 11:11am
birdergirl ~o~

That is great news - especially since I have all three of those colors within arms reach !
Thanks!

Old 2006-10-29, 12:03pm
Mama said

Hi Elise,

Yes, it was you! I posted that I had read this here, but couldn't remember who who had posted it originally. Sorry about that!

It is one of my all-time favorite glass tips!!!

~Michelle
Old 2006-10-29, 12:22pm
Entropy increasing....

Oh, ok Elise.

I will have to try that!
Old 2006-10-29, 12:54pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora
No, It was me (my favorite discovery...and I posted it all over )
It was an accident, when I grabbed the wrong color (trying to mix "horn")

At this point, I've done some experimenting with it. The old moretti dark ivory (the shocky rods, which look more like vetrofond light ivory) seem to work best. My mix was roughly 50-50.

I've used both striking orange, and striking red. The orange gives you more of that buttercream color- but the mix with the red can be struck to a rosy glow. The red is a strong color, so use slightly less than 50% in the mix- or play with it to get the color you like.
Aloha,
elise

PS: remember that all the handpulled colors can be mixed yourself.
While I'm not 100% certain, I don't think this is close, I think this is it (i.e. the mix they use)
I didn't mean to imply it was me who discovered it Elise!
I knew I had read it here but also couldn't remember who originally posted it since its been a while ago.
Now I want to try the Orange too, the buttercream coloring sounds yummy.
Thanks for sharing your discovery

Old 2006-10-29, 3:03pm
birdergirl ~o~

It was Suzy Lamberts zebra flower beads in this gallery ( second one down ) that made me want this yummy color:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31392
hope this link works

Old 2006-10-30, 6:14am

Dang,
I've never gotten my opal yellow to look so yummy. Maybe I'll try one more time.
Old 2006-10-30, 9:40am
runs with pruning shears

I meant to add a bit more yesterday, but never got back to do it. Mixing with the striking red gives you a color with brown tones. I know there was a fabled brown batch of opal yellow which some poeple got great colors from. It may be that the batch was mixed with red. In my experience, you don't get as true an opal yellow color with the red, but it is easier to strike, and you can get pinks with it.
while I may have happened on this recipe, you can be sure I wasn't the first. All moretti's hand pulled colors are mixes, but they're not telling

I ran a color mixing & layering swap a couple of years ago. Some people found some interesting and surprising mixes....I should look for my strands of sample beads , etc. 'cause all the info's on my old computer (waiting for dh to network it in )

There are also some good recipes in Drew Fritt's marble book (a nice trchnique book, & IMHO worth the price for his mixing charts alone)

I didn't mean to be defensive, and am not at all possesive of this trick...it's just the one little bit I felt I was able to contribute to the community after being a long-time lurker.

Anyhoo. Have fun,
Elise
Old 2006-10-30, 10:36am
Glass Addict

I just purchased a pound from Howaco. You may want to try them.
Old 2006-10-30, 5:48pm
CA Queen Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia
It was Suzy Lamberts zebra flower beads in this gallery ( second one down ) that made me want this yummy color:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31392
hope this link works
Well thank you so much! What a nice compliment!
That was the light version of opal yellow.

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2006-10-31, 7:03am

I'm very new to this, so I might not know what I'm talking about, but I was watching my instructor mix colors in class one night.. she folled light ivory in pale yellow enamel and then in some transparent (is it striking?) orange frit she had ground up, heated it up, then pulled out small rods of buttercup yellow. It is gorgeous.
Old 2006-11-03, 12:21pm
Floral Obsessed

Elise, I don't see how the ivory/striking red mix could be the same as the recipe used to make Opal Yellow. (Though I'm sure it's lovely!) To me, Opal Yellow's main characteristic is its non-reactiveness with copper colours, and an ivory/red mix would definitely react. Has anyone tested the reaction? -H.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2006-11-03, 1:41pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I mixed some dark ivory & striking yellow the other day, yeah, I know, it's not red or orange. It did indeed react with the copper colors, in particular I used light turquoise and some dark sky blue.

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2006-11-03 at 4:40pm.
Old 2006-11-03, 3:04pm
moth to the flame

All of the yellow in this pic was mixed with Moretti Ivory (I didn't use the Dark Ivory) and what was sold to me at the time as Translucent Red about a year ago.

Name:  Yellow1.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  23.2 KB

There is a light reddish blush in the mix and this batch was a bit brighter than the other I had mixed. As I recall a 60% Ivory and 40% Red makes a lighter yellow and more of a true opal yellow.

This was actually a pretty mix on Vetrofond black. It made an opal like yellow against the black(melted in), I guess that it depends on how well you mix it. I'll see if I can find a pic of those beads I made with the Vetro balck and yellow flowers and post it too if anyone is interested.

If I were to try and mix it again I would try the Striker Red and Rainbow Red both with the Ivory.

I had posted and asked if the Rainbow Red was the same as the Translulcent Red but no one could tell me for sure.
I was new to torching and didn't label each rod when I bought it, but now I do! lol

As far as reacting, I never tried it on copper green but I will look again to see if I tried it with anything else other than black.

Old 2006-11-04, 11:45am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven
All of the yellow in this pic was mixed with Moretti Ivory (I didn't use the Dark Ivory) and what was sold to me at the time as Translucent Red about a year ago.

Attachment 27659

There is a light reddish blush in the mix and this batch was a bit brighter than the other I had mixed. As I recall a 60% Ivory and 40% Red makes a lighter yellow and more of a true opal yellow.

This was actually a pretty mix on Vetrofond black. It made an opal like yellow against the black(melted in), I guess that it depends on how well you mix it. I'll see if I can find a pic of those beads I made with the Vetro balck and yellow flowers and post it too if anyone is interested.

If I were to try and mix it again I would try the Striker Red and Rainbow Red both with the Ivory.

I had posted and asked if the Rainbow Red was the same as the Translulcent Red but no one could tell me for sure.
I was new to torching and didn't label each rod when I bought it, but now I do! lol

As far as reacting, I never tried it on copper green but I will look again to see if I tried it with anything else other than black.
Rainbow Red is Vet 903. I've never seen it called Translucent Red, so I doubt it's the same but there are some vendors out there who like to rename colors, so you never know. Do you have a picture of the rods?

Old 2006-11-04, 11:55am
She's Back & Burnin'

Well, I don't know about mixing transparent red with ivory. I do know that encasing ivory with the transparent red and pulling into stringers makes the most awesome shade of apricot.

Sara

Old 2006-11-04, 4:27pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
Rainbow Red is Vet 903. I've never seen it called Translucent Red, so I doubt it's the same but there are some vendors out there who like to rename colors, so you never know. Do you have a picture of the rods?
Hi Shawnette

Yea, Rainbow Red looks a lot like what I had and used to mix it.
The place I bought the rods also sold Vetrofond.

Was the Vetro Rainbow Red new about a year or so ago, do you know?

I'll see if I have any of the old rods and if I do I'll take a pic to show you.
Thanks

Old 2006-11-04, 4:28pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner
Well, I don't know about mixing transparent red with ivory. I do know that encasing ivory with the transparent red and pulling into stringers makes the most awesome shade of apricot.

Sara
Hi Sara,
I tried your suggestion when I first started lampworking and it is such a pretty colored stringer! Yummy!

Old 2006-11-05, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae
Elise, I don't see how the ivory/striking red mix could be the same as the recipe used to make Opal Yellow. (Though I'm sure it's lovely!) To me, Opal Yellow's main characteristic is its non-reactiveness with copper colours, and an ivory/red mix would definitely react. Has anyone tested the reaction? -H.
I agree. I rarely use ivory because it is unfriendly to reactive colors. I have found that the best way to get a similar look of opal yellow is to apply silver leaf to Effetre pastel pink, burnish it, melt it in and mix. Repeat and pull.
Here is an example of the similarity in base colors, (although the silvered pink is a bit more gradient looking due to the silver). If you try this, do it in a neutral flame.

This bead has an opal yellow base:

This bead has a silvered pink base:

As long as you don't overwork the glass the end result looks a lot like opal yellow.

Old 2006-11-05, 10:14am
"Sinners have soul too"

Wow Lydia your beads are amazing!