Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2013-03-07, 5:08pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Default The Glass Hive Logo Design Contest!

Deadlines, release and what your competing for:
  • The scratch sketch submissions will be due by March 31st. We will then give a time period for refining a final product after that. If we are tied between designs we will have a vote after the refining period.
  • Submit as many ideas as you like. I will respond to each submission with feedback so you can improve your submission as you’d like.
  • You do not need to be Rembrandt. We are able to have a design redrawn or modified if needed to create the final production version of our logo. What we need are clear sketches of your ideas that are enough to impart the idea to us.
  • Submissions become property of The Glass Hive and can be altered to refine for use as The Glass Hives logo, by The Glass Hive or its agents. By submitting a design you agree that it can be used publicly for our promotional use.
  • Glass Hive may have you send in your finished drawing or artwork in physical form
  • The designer of the logo we choose will receive a Short Guy Kiln with Punti Door, including shipping, or equal credit towards another model ($655 value). Kiln will be built in 3-4 week from announcement date of the winning artist. The build time will be quoted if you choose a custom kiln once you submit your size.
  • Submissions can be in image format or Photoshop layers ( I am on an ooold version)

Submit to: Orders@theglasshive.com if you'd like it privately viewed for consideration or you can post it to our The Glass Hive FB page by tagging us in the photo. I think the conversation on the images could benefit the creative juices but if you are worried about giving your idea away, private is just fine. We will post private submissions that are in the running for the final label at the end of the scratch sketch period.

What we do (in case you are not familiar):
  • We build small glass kilns all the way up to full glass blowing studios. Kilns, furnaces, glory holes, benches ect. We are glass artists ourselves when we have the time.
  • Quality and customer service are our hallmarks. We are a three person operation, all members of the family covering two generations so far.
  • Our equipment has an industrial feel to it, yet still a clean look.
  • We are located in coastal Oregon set on the Alsea rivers bank. We can’t get away much, so we chose a place we love to be.
  • Check out the web page http://theglasshive.com/index.html to see the equipment line, as well as the custom builds on our The Glass Hive FB page.

Some Basic Design Elements We Need:
  • We are looking to support the logo in an oval label. The concept should work on both small and large scales (2” overall up to a small banner size). I am able to adjust size in house. The most common use will be on the equipment itself where the label will be about 3" x 2". We want to avoid an irregular label shape at least for now.
  • Should you use the initials instead of the name TGH or GH are acceptable
  • We want the artwork to be black and white for the most versatile printing options. If your design can be done in both black & white and color while retaining a strong recognition factor between each other that is fine to.
  • We want this logo to speak softly enough for the conservative soft glass workers and be strong enough for the more outgoing hard glass workers. Sorry for the stereotype but you get the idea.
Good elements to incorporate (none are musts use your imagination if ours was spot on we’d have a logo already):
  • Honey comb cells with depth
  • Honey drips
  • An edgy font that is still easy to read ( I like the Iron Maiden font if the G is more defined from the C but am still wide open to others)
  • Diamond plate pattern
  • Muscle bound bee with a blow pipe would be cool
  • Glass of some kind

Things I know we want to avoid:
  • Cutsie. We are industrial builders. Cute bees are a no, cute hive, no.
  • Designs that don’t reduce to 2” and are still legible
  • I don't want to be confused for bee keepers
  • No pipes in the logo. We are not anti-pipe by far, but need to appeal to a wide audience that could be very conservative on the subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2013-03-08, 12:13pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I am also open to feedback on the set up of the competition. This is the first time I am attempting something like this. I would love any input. Particularly the release section needs some work. I will have the final designer sign a release. The release of the general submissions is meant to allow me to show the ideas we are leaning strongest towards publicly on FB for community feedback before the artists go into the final drawing stage. I have much to learn and am honored if you shared your input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Henry David Thoreau
Old 2013-03-11, 1:10pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Entries are being done blind to protect your ideas from sniping through the sketch phase. They will be publicized at the end of the sketch period, prior to final design clean up stage. At that point designs will be finalized enough to make it very obvious should someone try pilfering components.

The stuff coming in is wonderful. I can't wait until the end of this to brand the first kiln, the prize kiln!

Henry David Thoreau
Old 2013-03-15, 9:40am
Marble Lover

Is greyscale OK, or do you mean strictly the only 2 colors allowed are black & white?

-BEP

Quote:
We want the artwork to be black and white for the most versatile printing options.
Old 2013-03-17, 8:32pm
Beads Beads Glass

Well I have about a dozen Ideas and just had a pot of coffee So let me see what I can do tonight can the image be a scanned in attached image or PDF???

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-03-17, 8:35pm
Beads Beads Glass

can you post a link to your facebook please??? I just searched for you and found more than one glass hive. I am a computer fail

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-03-19, 9:45am

I know you've set this up as a competition...but if you wanted a professional look why not try an illustrator? I can recommend this guy http://www.rgfresson.co.uk/
Old 2013-03-21, 12:11pm
ManBearPig

Last edited by Cosmo; 2013-03-22 at 10:46am.
Old 2013-04-05, 2:18pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Default Major Forum Foul :(

I am very, very sorry guys, I thought I did set a subscription to notify me of posts here, but apparently did not do it right. With all the information coming at me I became reactionary to notices from the boards rather than methodically looking at the multiple entry points. I was wondering why we got so few entries from this forum, and am saddened that it was my fault.

The contest did officially close, but due to my error if you would still like time to work up your ideas, I would be honored to review them. My mistake should not be your problem. The only contest issue we would have it that the other entries are published on FB as of today. I would ask that you refrain from being influenced by the existing work(perhaps not view it until your idea is solid), and go on the gut instinct.

We are getting so much art that can be used in both black and white and in color that we have been influenced to be open to both possibilities. Trying to keep glass folks in monotone is not all that natural.

We like entries that make us stand out as being in the glass industry as well as a strong industrial feel. More detailed information is available on our page.

All Logo Submissions are posted here:
The Logo Entries

Our FB Page is- The Glass Hive

I am hanging my head, as I know this error cost us valuable entries, and you valuable time. Again, I am very sorry for not checking in. I won't rely on my ability to set up the notifications in the future. My PM notices were still operating, so I must have messed it up. That is a good way to be double sure we are not going to miss you.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.