Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-25, 11:14am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
How does everyone feel about the macro photography usedcfor beads though? Sometimes the photography picks up minor flawscwhich cannot be seen with the naked eye.

I actually like this. Buyers get the bead and are not going to find something they didn't know was there. It falls under my "exceed their expectations" philosophy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-25, 11:18am

I do a lot of advertising macro photography as part of my job and keep nodding my head as I read this. So many small things look surprisingly bad when you blow them up way over life size. I'll spend hours fixing things up in Paint Shop Pro (the poor mans Photoshop) for some purposes, but when a specific object is being described for sale the only thing I'll do is remove dust and background flaws. For the sake of honesty all the rest is a matter of reasonable lighting and making a conscious effort not to hide anything. Far better to lose a sale by fully representing the product, than to have somebody feel they were taken advantage of. It's like when the supermarket hides the bad side on the bottom of the package or puts a sticker over it. Now that doesn't mean the photos shouldn't look as good as possible- sharp as a tack, accurate color, realistic contrast and a flattering background are all part of doing a decent job of it.

CH
Old 2011-02-25, 11:50am

good points, guess I'll have to get to work on perfecting my loops
Old 2011-02-25, 5:15pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Is there a way to smooth out the rough point around the hole. I wouldn't try to sell a bead like that but would use it for myself if I really like the bead. Is there a way to do it without scratching the bead?
Thanks
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-26, 8:29pm
Salt Box Beads

The rough points around the hole should be addressed while making the bead. It is much much easier to add a little glass and smooth things out.

I had to learn to slow down and really LOOK my bead over when finished and give it a critique and learn to do touch ups and quick little marverings here and there to get the shape, ends etc. where they should be.

Just takes a lot of practice. I was always wanting to get that bead over to the kiln!
Old 2011-02-27, 8:08am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thanks Lorraine. I've gotten better at it, some of my first beads are so pretty but rather jagged,LOL. I wanted to string 'em up for whimes or something but don't want them to fray or cut the string.
I was wondering if cerrium oxide would remove the scratches from filing them down.
I've had a couple come out where within the hole, the hole isn't smooth, like the bead release wasn't smooth???I'm not sure why.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-27, 4:52pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Great tips - not only about beadmaking, but also presentation for sale.
I use macro on my camera, and it shows everything up, warts and all.
One thing I was a bit concerned about was that my photos seem to make my beads much bigger than they really are. If I was selling online, customers might be disappointed that details would be much harder to see on their own merits. I also use sunlight, rather than photo tents, and often in combo with shade/sunshine, to demonstrate differences.
Then again, mine aren't for sale via photos. They speak for themselves in my store, IRL.
The photos are just for my FB friends' (my own family and real, live friends LOL), and fellow newbies' benefit.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-02-28, 4:01pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Thanks Lorraine. I've gotten better at it, some of my first beads are so pretty but rather jagged,LOL. I wanted to string 'em up for whimes or something but don't want them to fray or cut the string.
I was wondering if cerrium oxide would remove the scratches from filing them down.
I've had a couple come out where within the hole, the hole isn't smooth, like the bead release wasn't smooth???I'm not sure why.
Namaste
Rowyn
If a bead "gets away from me" I use a dremel to grind down the ends and then put bead caps on the bead. I know it is cheating but those beads are for myself or gifts or displays. Sometimes people want beads and you can tell they can't afford them. Having a few of these beads around for a lower price can make someone very happy.

So far they don't care if the ends have been ground and are covered. My beads caps I make myself and they are beautiful. Have one bead handy to show what a bead end looks like ground and one that is not. That way they can see what is under the bead caps.

They are very happy to get the bead at a discount.

Old 2011-02-28, 5:31pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Before I ever learned how beads were made, I bought a "galaxy" bead at the Intergalactic bead show. I think I spent $30 on the bead, which was a record for me at that time.

I took it out recently, and it has a ground out and dremeled bead hole on one end. I didn't care then, and even though I "know better" now, I still don't care. It's a beautiful bead.
Old 2013-05-30, 1:14pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Bump...