Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-06, 6:06pm

Default gas adjustments mega minor

I am trying to make flowers for encasement in ppw. I need a pinpoint from my mega minor. To get the pin point I reduce the gas only. Instant narrow flame. To get a bigger flame I open back the propane.
I tried reducing the O2 also but I get a smaller pinpoint(almost) flame if I leave it as is.
How would you do it?
Franklin
Old 2010-02-06, 7:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Its sort of a three way dance it takes the correct volume of oxygen and propane to get desired flame size ALSO you have to consider the flame chemistry too... Be it neutral, reducing or oxidizing....

So to keep chemistry you can not just reduce or increase just one, you have to do both....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-02-07, 5:42am
He can do the origami

One of the torches I run is a Mega Minor, it is a nice torch and although you can get a small flame you will not get an actual "pin point" flame from a Mega Minor. The Mega Minor has a small relatively concentrated flame, it does not have a bushy flame with a lot of radiant heat as compared to that of say a Mini CC.

The Mega Minor is probably a good torch for making the smaller detail work you need to make. One of the things I use my Mega Minor for is smaller detail work in sculptural pieces because of the concentrated heat quality it has. It does not have the pin point flame of a hand torch but I can take advantage of the heat characteristics of this particular torch.

I think Malcolm has already addressed this as well.

Otter
Old 2010-02-08, 1:10pm

Thanks for the replies. I call it a pin point flame because its the smallest flame I can get from that torch. I know that compared with the center fire torch its fatter but I dont know what else to call the nice flame I am getting. It does work nicely for what I am doing. I was exciting to see a small nice flame when I reduced the gas by accident. I am sure its oxydizing because I reduce the gas from an almost neutral looking flame. I am not sure as yet what it does to the glass but so far things look good. As I get more skilled I may need more of something but when that time comes I will be back.
I have not worked with anyother torch so cant compare it. I had a hard time trying to figure out what is bushy or how bushy is bushy etc. But I am playing and getting there.
Otter, is it ok to run it like that for a while. I mean can it over heat, dammage anything?
I also get some soot buiding up sometomes. When that happens I add some more O2 and brush it off the lighted torch. Just trying to be cautious. Maybe over cautious but I will let up me guard soon.
Franklin

Last edited by fsankar; 2010-02-08 at 1:15pm.
Old 2010-02-08, 2:39pm
He can do the origami

When you run a an oxidizing flame that is smaller with the fuel turned down and oxygen turned up, the flame is cooler and you will not get much carbon build up. You should not have much of an issue running the torch like this doing small detail work.

In general most torch manufacturers take into account their torches will be run over a certain range of flame settings. Smaller, oxidizing flames wont cause the issues that a high carbon, reducing flame over a long period of time is going to cause.

You are on the right track and it is better to be aware that your torch does need to be kept clean than to allow it to become all built up with carbon and then have to be sent in and cleaned. Good luck.

Otter
Old 2010-02-08, 6:39pm

ANy idea how they clean it? I have the pokey thing to use and I do so at the end of every session that I get a build up of soot. Do they use something special that makes it necessary to have to take it in?
Franklin