Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2009-11-23, 10:02am

Smile Lotton glass open studio, Crete, Illinois 12-4 & 5

If any of you can make it, I strongly recommend a visit to the Lotton Studio open house this coming weekend! I went for the first time last year, and frankly could have spend ALL day there! They have simultaneous furnace demos going on about the studio at the several furnaces and on the torch (paperweight making). This is a superbly tallented family of art glass!

The bonus is they feed you, and the feed you well! Last year it was like a cook out, but inside the huge studio, with all the fixings of a great fun time. So seriously, camping out all day is not a far cry from reality.

http://www.lottonglass.com/

Oddly, their website does not have the information about the event, but if you email them, they can confirm the hours for you. Also, confirm the days, as it's odd to be a Friday, Saturday event, but that is what the email told me. I have to miss it this year, as I'll be in Sacramento on those days. Do check them out and enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-11-23 at 10:04am.
Old 2009-11-23, 12:29pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey O! Not this coming wknd, the following wknd right??? Where's Crete, southern IL?

Inquiring minds,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-23, 4:11pm

About 35 miles south of Chicago, straight down a few expressways. Not far from the Indiana state line.
Old 2009-11-23, 10:23pm

My wife grew up with the Lottons and they are a very talented family for what they do. Lotton batches his OWN glass and all of his colors are hand made...some even have patents on them. They are always doing fun demos, yes the food is AWESOME, and Darby used to be Charles (the fathers) Assistant.
At this open house you will see Charles (the Father, considered to be today's "Tiffany"),Daniel and David (the sons), A few cousins or other people they have brough on board, and than some of the grandsons blow as well.
It is a fun time! Anyone in the area should go to see what can happen when you really set your mind to something,He started with nothing and now has a beautiful gallery in the Watertower Place on the Mag Mile in Chicago.
Old 2009-11-24, 1:37am
Happy Beadmaker!

Yes, I love the Lotton work and the whole family aspect of it! Thanks for interesting "insider" info! Didn't realize they were so close to my route to IL/family! (I drive from FL up thu IN and cross over to Chicago via Gary IN, so next time I'll try to include a stop there!)

Thanks all for info!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-24, 10:00am

Smile

Definately check them out! Thanks Mike, for the added info. I was totally impressed when I went last year to see their studio. I left there wanting so bad to have a piece of theirs, but the ones I likes, I have too expensive taste. I still kick myself for not having taken advantage years ago to make my opening purchase as a wholesaler when they were exibiting at Beckmans (I think was the show). Have lusted for one of those lamps ever since..... So I did the next best thing, and found a nice book, on line, of their work. Great inspiration!

Turns out they also have an open house in May as well! Lea, if you want to join me, we can go together. I know it's just before when people are preparing for B&B, but I am not doing the show, so I'm more free in May. Hope you can take a break and join me. I hope to make that one for sure, especially since I have to miss this one.

Old 2009-11-25, 1:09pm

Would like to go to the one in May also !

Old 2009-11-25, 1:43pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Ellen, that'd be great ! I'll be up at my daughter's in Wheaton -- we'll finalize plans later but it's on my calendar!

~
~
~
Old 2010-01-25, 7:26am

Oh cool, next time I visit my SIL I will have to make it a stop

R-118
Old 2010-01-26, 12:25pm

Smile

Okay, got the skinny...... the May 2010 dates will be Friday, May 14th, from 10-8, and Saturday, May 15th from 10-5.

Be there or be square! Caravan........

I think I'll repost it as a new thread though, so the date is current and not last year's event.