Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-03-12, 4:42am
one day at a time

Default Free tutorial on getting your beads the same size

I was going to do this as a purchased tutorial with a lot more detail, new information, tools, and plenty of pictures. But I feel this is probably good enough for most. Just try it and see.

I forgot that I posted a tutorial on this skill waaayyy back in 2006. Oh well! Glad I found out before I made this into a tutorial to buy, and it would have been a lot of time and work for me. There is a lot more to it than what you will see here, but this is still good instruction. Pictures would be better. This was way back in 2006, and of course, with time I have improved and added to my methods. Everyone does with practice.

It's in this thread, and now it's FREE. Enjoy!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...nsistent+sizes

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-03-12 at 4:51am.
Old 2010-03-12, 9:00am
going crazy

Thanks for posting that Lisi. I'll have to try your method.

I have a metal circle template that I use to get the same size bead. But the same size footprint is important or they're still different sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My button mandrel listed here!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-12, 10:42am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Really great advice, thanks!

Jenny

Old 2010-03-12, 6:53pm

Thanks Lisi, I'm going to try your method this weekend.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-03-12, 7:57pm
one day at a time

This is one of those things that needs to be practiced for a while. To train yourself to do the same thing and do this every time. This is the way to train your "eye" and memory. I have adult ADD, so if I can do this, anyone can. Once you have mastered it, you will notice that you have more and more beads turning out the same size and shape, and less and less "leftovers" when you make sets.

If I use uncomplicated base colors, and uncomplicated frit or other overlay colors, I can make a run of 15-20 beads with maybe 1 or 2 that didn't make the size grade. All the others will be within a hair to no more than .5mm of sizes to each other.

Hey, beads don't have to be "perfect", as they are handmade. But for those of you out there like me that just have to have them as "perfect as can be, it's attainable."
Old 2010-03-14, 9:19pm
one day at a time

This thread has had near 500 views at this point, so I would really like those of you who try it out for a while to come back and give me some feedback. This will work if you give it steady practice.

If there are any questions, PM me or post here.

I've taught one very new beadmaker in person and she said it really worked for her. I noticed that she was advancing along rather quickly, to my surprise. It took me much longer being totally self-taught to get where she was in just a few days.