Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-03, 2:12pm
NW Oregon

Default Winding glass on a large mandrel?

If you work with mandrels that are Troll, Pandora, or 1/4" size, do you have tips for how to get the first layer of glass around the mandrel cleanly? My first footprint NEVER meets up properly. I always have at least one side that is jagged.

Does anyone have tips they'd like to share with those of us who rarely use anything bigger than 3/32"? I keep trying to make sure my mandrel is really hot and that I've melted enough glass to get all the way around. I wind it on, it looks like I've got it but then when I really heat it through I find out I still didn't get it right.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-03, 2:14pm
sunscreen me baby

Look at Scott's post in this thread.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=158724&page=2

~

Old 2010-04-03, 3:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Here's my first wrap:

Second wrap:

Third wrap:

NOTE the absolute right angle of rod and mandrel, which helps keep the wraps thin!

Melt it:

Tidy up on both sides:

Gently marver to flatten if you're going to add murrini, decorations or clear:

Finished thickness (this was done on a 3/16" mandrel, double dipped):

The finished bead, on a thick neck wire:

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-03, 6:03pm

A nice visual DeAnne, thanks. And the beads great, too. Love the color!

Old 2010-04-04, 7:59am
NW Oregon

Wow, DeAnne; You make it look so easy and so beautiful! A well made bead just sings!

And SuzyQ thank you for the link to Scott's post. Before I posted my question I did a search in Tips and Techniques but didn't come across that thread.

I see from both DeAnne and Scott that I have not been "bold" enough as I work. I'm not heating enough glass before I wind on. My problem is that I've been trying NOT to lay down too much glass because I want to make my encased florals on bigger mandrels and they grow to a huge size if the initial footprint is thick. I think I'm going to try laying a thick footprint and then I'm going to try to swipe off a bunch of the glass in the hope that I have created an even footprint to start with. Or maybe I should make a narrow footprint and then heat the heck out of it and roll it down so it is thinner and wider. The tips you all gave me have given me hope!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-04, 10:32am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Jennifer~

If you're making layer upon layer, I'd recommend making a footprnt about 3mm-4mm wide, then marvering it very flat and thin before you start the next layer. Kinda like this (but thinner)...I use this method:

This will give you a good color base, but a nice thin start to build upon. As you can see from this side and front pictures, the thin base shows when looking at the bead only from the side, but gives great depth to the finished piece:

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-04, 11:30am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hi Jennifer~

If you're making layer upon layer, I'd recommend making a footprnt about 3mm-4mm wide, then marvering it very flat and thin before you start the next layer. Kinda like this (but thinner)...I use this method:

This will give you a good color base, but a nice thin start to build upon. As you can see from this side and front pictures, the thin base shows when looking at the bead only from the side, but gives great depth to the finished piece:

Yes, DeAnne; this looks like exactly what I need to do. Thanks for the photos. You footprint looks like it would be way too thick in the first photo and it's amazing to see how thin it is from the side after you've marvered it.

Again, thank you!

J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-04, 2:54pm
NW Oregon

I just came in from the studio. I made 4 big hole beads. The first was just a practice bead, the last three were florals. It's going to take practice before I'm really comfortable, but I had a lot more success with the footprint. I am thrilled not to have had such a frustrating struggle.

Thank you all again for the tips and links and to DeAnne for the photos!

Jennifer
Highland Beads