Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-10, 3:04pm

Default Diamond Clear - OK Now?

I know Precision was still having issues with Diamond Clear when they re-released it a few months ago. I see suppliers still selling it but some have notations that they won't take it back if you do encounter any problems with it.

Has anyone bought Diamond Clear recently and have you had any issues with compatibility or severe bubble scum like before? By recent I mean in the last 1 or 2 months. I'd love to get more but I don't believe in throwing my money away on unusable glass if the problems are still present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-10, 5:32pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Yes, just ordered from ABS, got it 50% off. I went ahead and pickled it and its the clearest clear, no problems using it with DH or any of the opaques. Very happy with it. I got my order about 2 weeks ago and the customer service and price was right
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-10, 6:42pm

Thanks Cara, that's good to hear! Who is ABS, or do you mean ABR?

Old 2011-03-12, 1:45pm

Ari'elle, unless you can be sure that you are purchasing a lot that's older than two months, I'd skip the purchase for now. The reason is because I just received a lot two weeks ago from a supplier that had JUST received stock. (Bless her, she shipped it to me quickly because she knew I needed it, so this is no reflection what-so-ever on her impeccable service and commitment). Anyhow, the lot I received is bad. Initially, I did not know that. I made a few test beads. They looked great. So I made focals and listed them on my website and did a few custom orders. This morning as I was packing and shipping, I realized that every one of the beads I had made using Diamond Clear had cracked. So, I went back and looked at my test beads and they too are cracked.

From what I gather, Precision no longer takes returns for Diamond Clear.

My suggestion would be to purchase some Reichenbach 104 clear and use it. It's rather stiff but it's a nice clear glass and if you want to use it with silvered glass, it plays very nicely.

Old 2011-03-13, 4:33am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Thanks Cara, that's good to hear! Who is ABS, or do you mean ABR?
Yes, So sorry. I have not had any of the issues that lydia is speaking of. I've made at least a half dozen focals with a wide variety of colors...no problems here. Sorry to hear of your problems lydia
Cara

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-13, 7:16am

Cara, if ABR has had their glass in stock for awhile, I'm sure it's good stuff. The batch I'm using was just received by my supplier and shipped to me the same day she received it, which has me guessing that it's a brand new batch.

I was terribly upset yesterday for having lost so much time and knowing that now I have to reproduce orders.

The advice I should have given was to check with the supplier to see how long they've had their batch of Diamond Clear. If it's new, received within the past couple of weeks, I'd skip it and buy a different clear. If they've had for a couple of months, then it's probably just fine.

Old 2011-03-13, 8:04am

Lydia, when I read you post my heart sank. It sounded so familiar. I went through that whole ugly mess with Lausha clear years back. Such a horrible feeling. At least you caught it before mailing them out.

I still stick with Effetre or Vetro clears and as of late, I am back to using Pale Aqua. I can't take all of the incompatibility issues and the hit and misses with the other clears. Reichenbach is too stiff for me.

Old 2011-03-13, 8:16am
Lampworkaholic!

TAG Clarity has been the best clear I have ever worked with and does not react with silver the way Aether does. I can't say enough positive about it.

Sorry about the cracked beads Lydia. I'm not sure there has been a safe batch of Diamond Clear since about 2009.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-13, 10:59am
da General

The bad batches of Diamond Clear were from early 2009 - I wouldn't touch any unless they are from 2008 and earlier. Someone was selling some last year in the Garage Sale and was kind enough to send me a couple of rods to try for she didn't have any incompatibility issue with them. Made a couple of test beads with silver glass and they cracked.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 11:10am
Storm Queen

So vendors are selling glass that is cracking and they won't take it back because Precision won't stand behind their product? Did I get that right?

Old 2011-03-13, 12:50pm

Cynthia, I certainly don't blame you a bit! Yeah, I remember the Lausha thing too. . .Fun times. lol You are right about Rbach, a very nice glass but STIFF. I'm using it today in my attempt to recover from the mess I'm in right now.

Elizabeth, I agree. TAG is wonderful. I finally got around to testing it this week. I only had one rod, so I'll certainly be ordering more.

Amy, I won't be bothering the distributor I purchased this lot from for a refund for a couple of reasons. I know she would have worked with me had I asked her to because she's awesome like that but I don't see this as being her problem at all. I see it as being Northstar's problem. I'll take the hit on this one myself.

I didn't buy this lot from ABR, but only recently saw the disclaimer which I guess was written by Northstar, on ABR's site and it did not sit well with me. I feel that Northstar now has protection against any crappy lots of high priced clear that they allow to leave their docks. If the glass is bad, it's YOU, not them because YOU are not skilled enough or YOU are not working in the correct flame environment. In my opinion, this is a rather "nice" way of saying "STFU" if our quality is bad. We don't care". So, since I don't think it should be up to distributors to do quality testing on behalf of their manufacturers UNLESS that's part of their business arrangement, I have no one to take this grievance to. . .So, what's a wounded lampie to do?!

I'm sorry for starting this drama here in your thread, Ari'elle. I was about to start my own when I saw this one and just piled on to it, since it related directly to your question.

Old 2011-03-13, 12:56pm
Storm Queen

I'm wondering why vendors would even bother carrying DC or any Precision glass for that matter? Even if they tested it before selling it it sounds like they would be stuck holding crappy glass they couldn't sell. I made a decision over a year ago to no longer buy any Precision glass and I'm glad I did. Double Helix gets about 95% of my business.

Old 2011-03-13, 1:05pm

I think the producers of Diamond Clear really shot themselves in the foot. The whole issue has been mishandled from the beginning, and continues to be mishandled. Sadly.

It's likely that I'll never buy any Diamond Clear again (I try to avoid banging my head against the wall repeatedly).

I was a beginning bead maker when the Lauscha debacle happened and to this day rarely use Lauscha.

Old 2011-03-13, 1:11pm
da General

I did not know about this disclaimer until this thread. Wow! Just wow!

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=7008
Quote:
NORTHSTAR GLASSWORKS DISCLAIMER
Precision 104 Diamond Clear

As of June 1, 2010, Northstar Glassworks will not allow returns, refunds, or exchanges for Diamond Clear. Please forward any questions to your distributor. Northstar has worked hard to address all cracking issues experienced by some people. Diamond Clear is an advanced clear for people who are willing to test and find the application that works best for them. Diamond Clear is very clear and if worked correctly will be scum free and will magnify any colors that are being used. Diamond Clear needs to be worked in a heavy oxidizing flame. For the least problems, play with your oxygen and propane valves to find the best flame setting for your application. Diamond Clear is a little stiffer than most 104 colors so it will cool faster than most colors offered by other manufacturers. The COE has a range of 103-105 which is compatible with all colors made by other manufacturers. When making mandrel beads we do not recommend pressing the bead until you are sure this application works for you. Make sure to use a kiln and not vermiculite or a crock pot. Make sure your bead is not too cold when putting it into the kiln. This will help eliminate cracks running down the mandrel. Cracks running down the mandrel are thermal cracks and are not the result of incompatible glass. If glasses are incompatible, you will get spider web looking cracks that seem to be everywhere. Make sure you test your Diamond Clear for the best application as all applications do not work for everyone. We recommend annealing the Diamond Clear at 940-980 degrees. We hope you have fun and enjoy your color and especially this clear.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2011-03-13 at 1:22pm. Reason: eta: adding link to quote
Old 2011-03-13, 1:15pm

Yep ... amazing

Old 2011-03-13, 1:20pm
Storm Queen

Wow.

Old 2011-03-13, 1:21pm
Storm Queen

Could you ever in your wildest dreams see DH coming out with a disclaimer like that? Ummm....no. Never.

Old 2011-03-13, 1:53pm

Lydia, I'm so sad to hear about this mess with your beads because of Diamond Clear again! No need to apologize for mentioning what happened, that's why I asked because I hadn't seen anything posted about DC in awhile. I saw it on sale and then saw their disclaimer and figured I'd ask before buying it.

Amy, I don't understand either why any distributor would continue to purchase this glass when Northstar can't even stand behind their own product. It's shameful! That's it for me, I won't even consider buying DC again.

I love everything about Aether including the reactions with some silver colors; it would be so cool if DH was working on a non-reactive clear too.

Hint, hint, Jed

Old 2011-03-13, 2:32pm
Storm Queen

I would have DH's baby if I could.

<did I say that out loud?>

Old 2011-03-13, 2:46pm

Sorry but you're in line behind me, lol!

Old 2011-03-13, 2:48pm
Storm Queen

Old 2011-03-13, 3:37pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

Yes - I learned that the hard way.

Bought some months ago 1/2 lbs. that allegedly "just arrived and is supposed to work".
Well, it didn't. All my beads cracked - all of them. Without even using any silver glass. Just base of DC with some Effetre shards on top.

Contacted the vendor, and no - there are no returns.
I promised myself, that was DEFINITELY the last try with DC.
They can write and tell whatever they want now, nope - I'm not gonna give it another go.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-03-13, 3:39pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Wow...I had NO idea of any of the DC problems at all. I must have been a total idiot. I saw the 50% off and thought "oh, I'd like to try new clears" so far used about 5 or 6 rods with no problem at all. I may be the case that they were having a 50% off sale because this was "hanging around" so long. I certainly won't make any really magnificent detailed stuff with it. Thanks for the warning. I used lauscha reformulated and haven't had problems since i switched from Lauscha "soft". I also love aether when i can afford it I love LE for these threads. oh, and I also spend 80% of my glass budget on DH too...such a consistently good product

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-13, 3:42pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I made a decision over a year ago to no longer buy any Precision glass and I'm glad I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
I don't understand either why any distributor would continue to purchase this glass when Northstar can't even stand behind their own product. It's shameful! That's it for me, I won't even consider buying DC again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Contacted the vendor, and no - there are no returns.
I promised myself, that was DEFINITELY the last try with DC.
They can write and tell whatever they want now, nope - I'm not gonna give it another go.
I remember your posting that now, Judith! Sorry you got stuck with crap glass that's not even compatible with Effetre!

Not only will I not buy DC again, I won't support Northstar and its Precision line of silver glass.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 3:44pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
I used lauscha reformulated and haven't had problems since i switched from Lauscha "soft".
Cara, be careful with Lauscha Reformulated Soft - it doesn't play nice with some silver glass. Learned it the hard way in a class when some of my student's bead had spider web cracks all over.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 4:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

I know, right? I'm such a matron of lost causes. lol

I love Double Helix too. ALOT! If their clear wasn't reactive, I'd use it for everything.

Old 2011-03-13, 4:36pm

Wow is right!

Old 2011-03-13, 5:05pm

I guess, based on their disclaimer, this mandrel line crack issue is a thermal problem? Really? All of these beads went into 980 degree kiln that had been soaking for hours. When they were garaged, they were glowing red. If glowing red isn't hot enough, what then? Garage only when molten or white hot?

This one pushed me over the edge. This was a custom order. I photographed it, it looked fine. I sent the photo to the customer and billed it. When I went to ship it, I noticed that a fine hairline crack had started along the back side. Now it's cracked all of the way down the middle, front and back.

Old 2011-03-13, 5:19pm
Storm Queen

Oh Lydia... . That's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. I had a kiln full of bhb's all made with a base of Davinci...this was over a year and a half ago, maybe two years. It was a brand new batch of Davinci and all of my beads cracked. They were curved cracks and there were two or three on each bead. It was blamed on me. I was told that those large mandrels really soak up the heat and they were thermal cracks. I was given a lecture on how to put a bead in the kiln glowing. I was also lectured on annealing schedules, mine is so conservative it's already a joke. I was so stinking pissed...that's when I vowed to never buy Precision glass again. The whole DC thing had just happened months before too. Yes, I need to be treated like an idiot and told how to make beads all over again.

Old 2011-03-13, 5:53pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Here are example pictures that I sent to the vendor.
Obviously it was futile to suggest "thermal cracks" - but they didn't even try to explain away anything. Just said that there was no refund.

ETA: Oh, and they said that I was the first one to experience any problems, even though they sold all of their stash.
WTH??? Really? Doesn't that already imply that I'm useless because I can't make it work.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2011-03-13 at 5:57pm.