Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-13, 7:03am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default How do you weigh down your tent/booth?

Can you tell me how to weigh down my booth. I have an easy up.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-13, 7:40am

I have weights, the type you can get at any sports store, normally used on bar bells, with the hole in the middle. I use bungie cords to hang one in each corner of my easy up.

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-13, 7:50am

I've seen people fill a large coffee can with cement with an eye bolt stuck in before it dries. I don't see why you couldn't use gallon milk jugs though. That way you'd have a handle and you could possibly tie to the handle too. The hard part would be to get the cement in the jug without making a big ol' mess. I guess you could kinda funnel it in over a tub or something.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-04-13, 7:52am
a pox upon an idiot :..

PVC pipe, 6inch in diameter, cap it, fill with quick set concrete. Drill a hole in the other cap, screw in a large eye hook and cap the other end of the concrete filled pvc pipe, let dry and repeat 3 more times. You can now hang these from bungee cords at each corner of your tent.
Old 2010-04-13, 8:05am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

If you are on grass, you can stake it into the ground at some shows if they allow it. Sometimes you can't because they don't want vendors to drill into the sprinkler system.

I like the milk jug and pvc ideas.

Old 2010-04-13, 8:26am
Who me?

Bleach or some other plastic jug filled with water hanging from rope that is attached to each top corner of the frame. Keeps them out of the land fill and they are easy to carry.
Old 2010-04-13, 9:37am
Borovangelist

I use the PVC weights too. Rather than hanging them from the tent I bungee them onto the legs themselves. I tried the hanging, but I was worried about damaging the tent, plus they hung away from the legs, so they were in the way.

I put cheap carabiners at the top of each one so I can clip them on and off quickly.

|
|
Old 2010-04-13, 9:43am
balanced but asymmetrical

A quick and cheap method, as mentioned above, water jugs: use a short loop of nylon cord through the handle and 'S' hooks through this loop.
They tuck in up high, sort of disappear from view, and can't be tripped over.

'S' hooks go through the loop on one end and are hooked over the canopy cross brace in each corner.
Push the butt of the jug up into the corner to take the weight off of the handle.

They work well, though I did phase out the jugs and replaced them with barbell weights.
Water jugs can drop and break or start to leak as the plastic gets worn.

Old 2010-04-13, 10:17am
NW Oregon

You can get sandbags at some hardware stores. I started out with the gallon jugs filled with water at one show I did a couple summers ago but the wind picked up to the point where I was literally holding onto my Easy Up to keep it from blowing away (so were the other vendors). My husband went out and bought 4 bags of sand. I think they weighed 40 or 50 pounds each? He also bought rope that allowed him to tie onto the bags and then he attached the rope to the upper crossbars of the canopy. After that it was mainly a matter of keeping my trays of beads from blowing off the table. It was a MISERABLE experience. Even if you don't use the sandbags, put them in your vehicle where you can get them if you need them.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-04-13, 10:26am
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
PVC pipe, 6inch in diameter, cap it, fill with quick set concrete. Drill a hole in the other cap, screw in a large eye hook and cap the other end of the concrete filled pvc pipe, let dry and repeat 3 more times. You can now hang these from bungee cords at each corner of your tent.
Word! And you can make the pvc pipe as long as you want if you're in a windy area, then just lash it or tape it to the leg of your tent frame for real good stability.

Jo

Old 2010-04-13, 10:40am
Sheila Davis Designs

I use the plastic milk jugs filled with water,you can even fill them when you get there if you know there is water available.Then I hang them from long bunji cords on each corner.You can empty the water out when you leave,no lugging heavy weights around!

Old 2010-04-13, 6:29pm

Be careful with your EZ Up that you make sure the top of the tent is pulled nice and tight at the corners. If it sags at all and it rains it will hold water until it seeps into your tent and gets everything wet. Ask me how I know!
Old 2010-04-13, 7:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
Be careful with your EZ Up that you make sure the top of the tent is pulled nice and tight at the corners. If it sags at all and it rains it will hold water until it seeps into your tent and gets everything wet. Ask me how I know!
Or falls on a customer

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2010-04-13, 7:49pm
Borovangelist

Ugh...I carry extra tarps and bungees just in case it rains. My ez up wasn't meant for a rain day.

|
|
Old 2010-04-16, 4:49am
Katherine

I had a bit of fun with this issue and bought inexpensive buckets, filled them with cement and then poked in some plastic flowers. Much the same ideas as above but looks a bit more attractive - to me at least.

Also, I have found that around 25 lbs on each pole hold even the strongest wind.

Good luck!

Old 2010-04-16, 5:05am

I use two different things....something called "The Claw" for grass...3 of them do the job nicely placed between the two tent legs on each of the sides away from the customers. They are used to hold aircraft to the ground in storms....you don't have to worry with these things in the ground. For asphalt/concrete I use a set of 4 used John Deere "suitcase" tractor weights. 45 lbs each...got them at an auction barn.
Old 2010-04-17, 9:08am
Definitely having fun

I got tired of worrying about the strong gusty winds here in Colorado lifting my EZ-up and the weights and flingning them across the event grounds, So I filled (4) 5 gal buckets with sand...put tops on them and securely attached them to the legs and the tent top (where the legs slide through the canopy skeleton). Also I would use (2) 10" spikes through the leg feet into the ground when I could, driven in at different angles to each other.

This year,I am forgoing the tent for a trailer....no worries about it folding, being blown over, or rain.

Chris
Old 2010-04-17, 9:28am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

How about something like this?

I used to work at the ren fayre and I loved the idea of a trailer booth. They are so cute, don't you think?

After spending all that money on tables, tent, fabric, risers, etc. This would be pretty equal if you build it yourself. I know they won't fulfill most shows, but they would at others. And set up I think would be a snap.