No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-08, 1:33pm
Practicing perfect

Default Cracking bead release in the flame

I have a problem with my bead release cracking in the flame. Any hints on how I can fix this other than getting new release.

What is your preferred brand for bead release?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-08, 1:44pm
A True Woofer

When is it cracking? Are you flame drying it? What kind are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-08, 1:53pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I mix up Alice's bead release in my blender and then add an equal amount of sludge plus, so basically Alice's/Sludge Plus in a 50/50 mix.

I had much better luck with any release I used after starting to use an old blender from the Goodwill to mix it. I think making sure the release is well mixed is really important.

Old 2013-09-08, 6:25pm
Glass-aholic

Yes.. What are you using? Is is air dry/ flame dry. Maybe the separator is too thick/thin, or the consistency is off. Or just a brand habit perhaps..

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-09, 8:42am
Practicing perfect

Thank you all.
I am using fusion (I think).
Air drying over night.
It cracks as soon as I start winding glass. I even trying drying more in the flame to see if that would prevent it from cracking. When I did this I noticed the release had cracks even before I touched glass to it.

Astrid, I had some Alice's bead release and mixed it with something else as well (don't remember what) and I liked it a lot. Went with something else which worked for a long time until now. Where do you get the Alice's bead release from?

Old 2013-09-09, 9:22am

Are your mandrels clean?
And then I would suspect the consistency. I have had the most problems with fusion when it is too thin. But too thick would also have issues.

If it is too thin, try double dipping. Heat slowly, don't just shove it in the hottest part of the flame.
Old 2013-09-09, 10:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Thank you all.
I am using fusion (I think).
Air drying over night.
It cracks as soon as I start winding glass. I even trying drying more in the flame to see if that would prevent it from cracking. When I did this I noticed the release had cracks even before I touched glass to it.

Astrid, I had some Alice's bead release and mixed it with something else as well (don't remember what) and I liked it a lot. Went with something else which worked for a long time until now. Where do you get the Alice's bead release from?
You get it from here:

http://www.beadrelease.com/

I make my own and have been very satisfied with a recipe I found on line.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-09-09, 11:13am
Practicing perfect

Kathy, yes the mandrels were dry. I think you are right, it may be too thin. Was really sludgy so I added more water, but I may have added too much. I will let it set for a while and try again. What a pain, now I have to clean about 50 mandrels.

Bob, thank you for the link. I did a search (duh) just before I saw this and went and bought me some.
I think I also saw a recipe for this in that same search.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30186
I might get brave some day and try it out.

Old 2013-09-09, 9:29pm
Slogan Challenged...

Ha, I just went through this last night. Turned out I hadn't scrubbed the new mandrels enough.

I was making my own, but mixed it 50/50 with Alice's bead release I just purchased. Works like a charm otherwise. I'll think you'll probably like it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-10, 4:54am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Bead release, regardless of brand, is a suspension rather than being a solution. That means it will settle over time and the ingredients that make it hold up to pulling will be at the bottom. I now recommend shaking or mixing before each time you go to dip mandrels. The old advice to put a couple round wonky bead sin the container before shaking is helpful too. I used distilled to make the bead release because some tap water has salts added to break down calcium and that will break down the bead release over time. Lewis Wilson swore the best bead release in the world was my FosterFire mixed with Fusion, 60/40. Just drop me a PM with your shipping address if you would like me to send you a sample.
Old 2013-09-10, 5:47am
Practicing perfect

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Bead release, regardless of brand, is a suspension rather than being a solution. That means it will settle over time and the ingredients that make it hold up to pulling will be at the bottom. I now recommend shaking or mixing before each time you go to dip mandrels. The old advice to put a couple round wonky bead sin the container before shaking is helpful too. I used distilled to make the bead release because some tap water has salts added to break down calcium and that will break down the bead release over time. Lewis Wilson swore the best bead release in the world was my FosterFire mixed with Fusion, 60/40. Just drop me a PM with your shipping address if you would like me to send you a sample.
BINGO!!! You nailed it. I didn't use distilled water, I used tap water, which not only has salt, but added salt. We have a water softener....duh! Thank you so much! Who'da thunk? Not me obviously.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...and yes I will be PM'ing you.

Old 2013-09-10, 6:19am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Inez -
Sadly, even if you don't add any more of the "soft" water to your bead release it will get worse over time. I'll get that sample out to you today.
Old 2013-09-10, 8:58am

I shake mine like I am trying to be a paint mixing machine, every time I dip mandrels. When I add water (distilled) I add it a capful at a time, and shake. It thins out with less than I think it will. And I have 4 old beads in the bottom to facilitate mixing.

I also scrub my new mandrels with a ScotchBrite pad as I am taking off beads. Not like I am trying to get them all bright and new, just enough to get off any old release that is being stubborn. When they are new, I hit them with steel wool to scuff them a bit for better adhesion, and to take off any residual oils.
Old 2013-09-10, 12:43pm
Practicing perfect

Wow Kathy, you are a mad cleaning machine!

Old 2013-09-10, 1:09pm
Glass-aholic

Ditto what Kathy said, only I thin with vodka.........

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-12, 4:40am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I shake mine like I am trying to be a paint mixing machine, every time I dip mandrels. When I add water (distilled) I add it a capful at a time, and shake. It thins out with less than I think it will. And I have 4 old beads in the bottom to facilitate mixing.

I also scrub my new mandrels with a ScotchBrite pad as I am taking off beads. Not like I am trying to get them all bright and new, just enough to get off any old release that is being stubborn. When they are new, I hit them with steel wool to scuff them a bit for better adhesion, and to take off any residual oils.
I do the same as Kathy except that I use 120 grade sandpaper on my mandrels then rinse & dry before dipping. If I don't give them a scrub my bead release often cracks sometimes before I even use them.

Last edited by MrsD; 2013-09-12 at 4:44am.
Old 2013-09-14, 5:52am
Mad about Glass

I'm using Fosterfire and never have a problem. Gave up on Fusion as it always cracked no matter what I did. Bucket o' Mud is great but we can't get it in Australia. Keeping mandrels in good condition is essential. I always rub mine with a pot scourer when cleaning off the bead release.

[url]

Old 2013-09-14, 8:56am
one day at a time

KRAG Mudd. I have been using it for 11 years and flaking and cracking have never been a problem. I used to make BHBs with it. Really nice and smooth clean holes.
Old 2013-09-14, 9:44am
Loving learning

I shake mine every time I use it, and I also store it upside down, figuring it might help & can't hurt.
Old 2013-09-14, 1:51pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
You get it from here:

http://www.beadrelease.com/

I make my own and have been very satisfied with a recipe I found on line.
Bob
Thank you Bob, I just got back to this thread!