No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-24, 9:12pm
Remember to keep smiling

Holly those are amazing. I love the colors & design .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-25, 6:24am
FatCat Mama

I finally have pics of a couple of the beads I made with Misty. The first one also has SOP light green or baby green or something like that:

The second one is just Misty. It looks like you have to be careful when working it for a while - you can see I scorched it a little.

It's pretty glass, and I'm glad I ordered some, but I have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. The sample beads on Devardi's website are much more transparent (and Misty is listed with the transparents), and that's really the look I was hoping for. I've done some experimenting, and I've found that by making smallish beads at the end of my torch session I can keep the translucence to a degree. I plan to keep trying, because I really like the slightly cloudy look.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-05-25, 7:01am

Pretty beads everyone! I made a large focal with the champagne rose ( its still on the mandrel since I am working over time this week). I do have other pictures to show as soon as I edit and get them listed.
I really like the way the misty turned out on the first cat and agree it would be lovely if it stayed a bit more translucent. The misty orange is the same way, parts of turn opaque. Still a really pretty, creamy orange color but not really transparent.

Old 2010-05-25, 7:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
I finally have pics of a couple of the beads I made with Misty. The first one also has SOP light green or baby green or something like that:

I've done some experimenting, and I've found that by making smallish beads at the end of my torch session I can keep the translucence to a degree. I plan to keep trying, because I really like the slightly cloudy look.

Teri P

WOW Teri, thats just lovely work and what a delicate color combination. You sure have the touch! Love the Murrini treatment.

Please post your notes on the Misty as you research using it. We can all benefit!
Old 2010-05-25, 8:32am
FatCat Mama

Thanks Kristina! I really liked it, and so did someone else - it sold within 15 minutes of being listed in my Etsy shop!

I double checked, and the color on the bottom is Semi Opaque Extra Light Green.

Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-25, 8:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
Thanks Kristina! I really liked it, and so did someone else - it sold within 15 minutes of being listed in my Etsy shop!

I double checked, and the color on the bottom is Semi Opaque Extra Light Green.
I looked through your Etsy shop and past kittys that sold. I can sure see why your kitties are so popular! You do delightful and darling work with beautiful colors! The murrini really accent your kitties! Excellent combination!
Old 2010-05-25, 11:04am
Remember to keep smiling

Teri I love the little kitty and congrats on the speedy sale.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-25, 11:26am
Semi Retired

Teri makes the cutest kitties. The mist and so extra light green look like mother of pearl. Just beautiful with the murrini.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-25, 1:30pm
Semi Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
How did you get on with your testing?

I made another two yesterday. This time I encased the green rod with clear and pulled a thick stringer as I would normally, and applied that to a base of clear and another on a base of trans. emerald green, then encased with msc and I have cracks in both. One had more of the green luster rod in it than the other.
The Devardi clear cracked too but Vetrofond clear seem to work because the beads so far have not cracked. However the Vetrofond I have are at least 5 years old. So I will order some new one's to retest. One bead was based on Devardi opaque lime green with thick luster (blue and green) stringer and dots and encased with Vetrofond. Any luck with your new tests?

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-25, 2:25pm

Teri-your cats are too cute! Thanks for sharing them.
Old 2010-05-25, 3:16pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
The Devardi clear cracked too but Vetrofond clear seem to work because the beads so far have not cracked. However the Vetrofond I have are at least 5 years old. So I will order some new one's to retest. One bead was based on Devardi opaque lime green with thick luster (blue and green) stringer and dots and encased with Vetrofond. Any luck with your new tests?
Are you testing the clears on the reactive Devardi glass? I would like to know what your results are. Please let us all benefit from your hard work.
Old 2010-05-25, 3:31pm
Semi Retired

Dee Dee and I are testing the clear on aventurine green and aventurine blue rods. She makes beautiful beads from these glass and I am only doing it out of curiosity I will continue to post if anything new and interesting come up.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-25, 6:35pm

UPDATE ON DIANA ...... I just got an email from Diana (rare ripes) and she asked me to post on the thread for her, to thank those who sent prayers and well wishes. She is home now, in considerable pain and can't type so good with one hand. It sounds like the surgery went very well.....whew.!
Old 2010-05-25, 7:44pm
Remember to keep smiling

Diana I know you are glad it is over. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-25, 11:37pm
Semi Retired

Default working with the luster rods

After reading about my difficulties with the luster glass, Natasha sent me the following information:

"There is a few techniques you need to use to get them to work. First, make sure they are melted into the under layer of glass. That may be where the problem is. I noticed that if I don't melt them into the first layer of glass before I encase, they tend to crack. Also, I anneal at 980 with the luster rods. I think they need a little extra heat to heal. I enclosed a few beads I did tonight to test the new batch. You can use the pictures if you'd like. They are just the Devardi Super Clear with the three different luster rods. They are a lot more sparkly in person. Notice there are no chunks inside. Chunks mean they weren't melted completely inside to the under layer. That can leave gaps between the luster and the glass that can lead to cracks. "

Here is the picture of the test beads Natasha made.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-26, 1:28am
FatCat Mama

Oh wow - thanks Kristina, Paula, Mary and Bethany!

Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-26, 7:29am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Good Morning All...
Wow great beads every one...

Kristina... Love the cupcakes, they look good enough to eat... The little piggy earrings are just tooo cute... Beautiful pendent, really like the color...

Holly... Wow, those are fantastic... Love the colors and the shapes are great.. I sat and looked at them for quite a while trying to decide which one I liked the best... All of them!!!!

Teri... Love the fluffy kitties... My granddaughter (15 years old) now wants one of your kitties and is saving to get one...

Bethany... Great frit beads, really like the soft look the SOP lt blue gives the frit...

Diana... Hope all went well with the surgery... Good thoughts for a speedy recovery.. Big Gentle Hug...

Here are some beads I did with the luster frit powders... These beads were made to be used as spider bodies...

Bead #1... D113-Semi-Opaque Tropical Green base with Emerald Green Aventurine Luster Frit Powder melted in... Great lace effect.. There is a purple hallo effect around the powder.. Also these stayed very sparkly, the tiny white spots on the bead are sparkle, very hard to get the sparkle to show in the picture..

Bead #2... D132- Opaque Lavender base with Cobalt Blue Aventurine Luster Frit Powder melted in.. Great lace effect.. There is a grey to black hallo effect around the powder.. Also these stayed very sparkly, the tiny white spots on the bead are sparkle, very hard to get the sparkle to show in the picture..

Bead #3...D83-Semi-Opaque Moonstone White with a mix of all 3 Aventurine Luster Frit Powders... Golden, Emerald Green, Cobalt Blue, melted in... Great lace effect.. There is a purple/brown to black hallo effect around the powder and turned the white to a purple/brown color.. Also these stayed very sparkly, the tiny white spots on the bead are sparkle, very hard to get the sparkle to show in the picture..
All these beads were annealed at 970...
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-05-26 at 7:34am.
Old 2010-05-26, 7:41am
Semi Retired

Houkje, the beads are just gorgeous. I hope I have those colors because I love to halo effects on beads. If not, I will have to get them. Thank you for the pictures and the detail information.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-26, 8:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
Houkje, the beads are just gorgeous. I hope I have those colors because I love to halo effects on beads. If not, I will have to get them. Thank you for the pictures and the detail information.
Mary... Thank you.. The lace effect is so much fun, and the fact that the sparkle stays is even better... You just never know weather you will get the large lace or the tiny lace effect or both... Well maybe it's just me who dose not know..

This is a bead I did with a twisty stringer made with D1- Super Clear rolled in a mix of the golden and emerald green luster frit powder... The base is NCN- Opaque Tan. I put dots of the luster twisty stinger on one side close to the mandrel and then lifted and pull the dot with a pick to the other side of the bead and melt in... Gives a fried leaf effect... This bead broke as I was taking it off the mandrel.. But I liked the effect...
Attached Images

Old 2010-05-26, 8:44am
Remember to keep smiling

Houkje - Thanks for the sharing your test beads that Semi-Opaque Tropical Green base w/Emerald Green Aventurine Luster Frit Powder is gorgeous.

Dichromary - Thank you for sharing the luster rod techniques.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-26, 8:47am
Semi Retired

Houkje, yum. I found my blue and gold luster frits but don't have the green. I may crush my green rods to try your techniques. These are the type of beads I like to make. Thanks again for showing us.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-26, 9:48am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I am so glad to hear that Diana is doing well after surgery -heal well and quickly Diana!

Houkje - GORGEOUS work! Thank you for posting the color info!

I made hollow Dragon Eyes last night after seeing a picture in a magazine of a Dragon's eye! Amazing the tangents we can go on! ANYWAY, I have a question about the Reduction Frit.

Hubby loaned me his portable propane torch, and I got the brilliant idea to flash them in it, and HAPPY DAY it worked! The reduction frit on the left test mandrel bead is what I put in the eye (it came out fabulous) BUT the eyes all just turned silver. I did heat them in the propane longer... is that why they turned solid silver?

By the way, that new Frog Green and Army Green are just heavenly to work with, so smooth and easy in the flame!

But to the point, would some of you please give me some basic instruction on how to flash the reduction glass in a propane flame properly - so I can try again more successfully!

Old 2010-05-26, 10:10am

Kristina... Oh WOW on the dragon eyes, they are great... love 'em!!!!

When you flash in an all propane flame, be sure that you are in the blue part of the flame... also do not get any glow in your bead... If you get a glow then you will burn off the color and just bring out the silver... That is how I do the silvery black and the coppery black... I have not used the reduction frits yet, but will give it a go this afternoon and let you know...

Thank you, for the complement on the lace beads...

Old 2010-05-26, 10:22am

Paula... Thank you.. I thought this lace effect would make great turtle shell beads....
Any one want to give it a go???? Would like to see pics...

Mary... I haven't used the luster frit yet just the powder... But I'm thinking that you should get the same effect, only bigger lace patterns and more sparkle.. Would like to see your results...

Old 2010-05-26, 2:15pm
Semi Retired

Houkje, glad to know its the powder. I will get some next time I order. Thanks.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-05-27, 6:52pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Awesome job everyone.

I'm finally getting around to posting some things and I actually have a bead that I'm pretty proud of, for being a newbie. I was testing out the black metallic glass and this is what I came up with...

the metallic'ness just isn't showing up very well, but the black is pretty awesome

plus my first attempt at using the regular dicro with the black backing "after reading the tips on the Devardi website", of course....

I just received as nice selection of pinks a couple days ago and will have all 3 days this weekend to do some more testing of this glass.

Ok, since this post originated as "Devardi Glass Technical Input and Experiences", I've decided to post my findings as well, from my limited experience using this glass so far....

I love the variety of beautiful colors (OK, not technical but true ~ heehee). I find this glass to be a teensie bit stiff only because I'm so use to being able to shape my beads with heat and not a marver but there are many positives to having the glass being stiff ~ excellent for sculptural beads, pulling stringers is a breeze and when applying raised stringer decorations, I'm not as worried about melting them into oblivion as with other 104 coe I have used. Still working on heat control Also, when using my brass presses, the glass doesn't drip out of shape before I press...... There are so many different glasses out on the market that have so many different positive attributes to them, that I think this is a nice welcome to the choices we have!! Ok.. back to the testing table...

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-05-28, 7:29am

Hi all! Just catching up on the thread..am also trying to type 2 handed as my hand is feeling much better.My hipbone is another story and I can't walk without sharp deep pains.
I finally got my HH and...yes..had to try the metallicy copper last night.You will all have to tell me one more time how to get and keep the copper as the video didn't go past the actual getting copper and I didn't have a HH then anyway,
Teri..love the "half full" cat! I used to make fat cats out of lots of things and when I saw yours it brought back pleasant memories I love all the new pics.Holly..the sets are lovely!Ugg..my meds have make me forget who did the other wonderful beads..bear with me.I won't be doing much for quite a while..just had to try that blackNot supposed to be using my hand for weeks yet but will be absorbing all your good ideas.
Hugs all around!
Diana ♥
"

Old 2010-05-28, 7:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Beautiful work Sandy! Welcome back Diana!
Old 2010-05-28, 11:04am
Remember to keep smiling

Diana so good to here you are on the mend. Take care of yourself

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-28, 1:10pm
Remember to keep smiling

Had to play with my new glass since I bought the odd lots some of the colors were new to me. I added alot of embellishment and not a one of them cracked. I got to use my rod warmer loved it I had several rods of the OP Pink I bought way back and never could use it without a war zone going on in my studio but the warmer sure eliminated that problem.

Sorry for being a pic hog but I enjoyed having enough glass to try a little of this, then that, and maybe a little of this.......lol

Name:  052810beads 018.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  052810clblue.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  052810spiral.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  052810worrm.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  052810gatorbonet.JPG
Views: 907
Size:  49.3 KB

SRA#P109
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi