Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-05-27, 1:09pm
Bead Obsessed

Default Lens question: gray market...imported

I've been searching online for lenses and prices. I've run across ads for seemingly the same Canon lenses, one marked USA the other Graymarket or imported. What's the difference? Are they all made by Canon but are somehow different?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-27, 3:54pm

Selsey,
Grey market/imported means that Canon made the lens to be sold outside of the USA and Canada. It will not include a US wauranty so if the lens becomes defective during the normal wauranty period, you would need to pay for the repair which will be expensive. Also - although I don't know that it is the case with Canon specifically, grey market is often not made to the same quality level of US market items.

Really, even with the tempting prices of the grey market items - it can be a very bad idea. Hope this helps!

Michelle
Old 2008-05-27, 4:22pm

Michelle, while what you say about the warrenty is true, I've not heard that the lenses that Canon makes is any different between domestic and gray. A lot of people by gray market to save money (usually less than $50 but sometimes more). The better known stores (like B&H Photo and a number of others) provide their own warrenty for gray market, but you have to return the defective item to them and they get it fixed. It can take longer and it might not be by an actual Canon repair person, but they should be qualified.

I've never bought gray market camera or lenses, to me, saving the small amount isn't worth it, but I've known lots of people who have. As far as warrenty goes, none of Canon camera bodies or lenses I've bought have ever had to be worked on under warrenty. I had to pay to replace the shutter in my D30 well after the warrenty was over, but that was because I wore it out. Although I can't vouche for Nikon, I've heard rumors that they are just as good as Canon when it comes to domestic and gray market. But being a die hard Canon users, I've not put much stock in those rumors.

Mike
Old 2008-05-27, 6:11pm
Bead Obsessed

thanks for the info....my gut was telling me to buy US but i wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Old 2008-05-28, 10:30am

That was why I said that I didn't know if the quality was a problem specifically with Canon. I only know that it is with some brands. Others, such as Canon and Nikon may be the same. I know for certain that others such as Gossen (light meters) are different grey vs. US models. I found that out the hard way before I knew what it meant.

Regardless - it is the wauranty issue that is definate. It just is good to make an informed decision reguardless of which someone ends up buying.

Michelle