No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-13, 11:05am

Lightbulb m-15 oxy con questions

Good afternoon guys and gals .
I have a chance to buy a m-15 oxy con for $95 . My first question is , is this a reliable unit ? I've looked for the maker but it looks like they are no longer in business. For the price it seems like a no brainer but it may be too good to be true . My second question is , is there any way to test it with out a flow meter or should I get something to check it before I buy it ?

I hope I posted this in the right section .
Thank you in advance for your replies and have a wonderful day
Old 2015-04-13, 11:13am
I fart diamonds

They're fairly reliable and the original is made by Millennium Respironics, so parts are easy to come by. As far as testing goes, unless you have a meter to test the oxygen purity, there's pretty much not a whole lot you can tell, just by turning it on. For $95, I'd probably take the chance, though. I bought an Airsep off Craigslist for $75, untested and it's been awesome.

(I had 2 Millennium Respironics machines that lasted for several years.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-04-13, 11:15am
I fart diamonds

How many hours are on it?

Old 2015-04-13, 11:39am

Shawnette thank you for the quick response . Thats great about the parts I was wondering if it would be a hunt to find them .
Bummer , I was hoping there was some kind of trick or something to tell without the meter.
I guess I'll just have to take the gamble .
He said he is unsure of the hours on it
Old 2015-04-13, 11:57am
Phill

WEll you could do the old chemistry lab trick of burning a dry wood stick until it has a good ember on it, blow out the flame and immediately into a jar with the out put of the oxycon in it.

If the ember bursts back into flame then you do have a higher oxygen content in the jar that the 20% in the air outside of the jar.
I suppose how quickly and how vigorously it relights can give you an indication of relative purity but nothing you could take to the bank.

But hey, $95 for something that does not blow fuses is a good deal to my mind but I have a technical bent and fixing things is one of my favorite hobbies.
Old 2015-04-13, 12:05pm
I fart diamonds

The hour meter is on the side, towards the bottom. Have him send you a pic.

Old 2015-04-13, 12:08pm

Now that's a cool trick .
Im going to bite the bullet and get it . Turns out he bought a storage unit at auction and the m15 , psyclone, and a hurricane were in it . Hopefully he had the rest and I can work a deal for them too .

I love to tinker with stuff but sometimes they don't go back together so good the first time lol
Old 2015-04-13, 12:10pm

Oh okay . I didn't know that . He won't be at the unit until 5 . Is there an amount of hours I can look for when I meet him ?
Old 2015-04-13, 12:14pm

I run 2 m-15's on my outer and a hurricane on my inner and they are awesome! I am using a Bravo and have no o2 issues and I mainly work in Boro.....For 95 bucks, I'd probably buy it since even if you need a few replacement parts - it would still be cheaper than a new one.
Old 2015-04-13, 1:32pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
Now that's a cool trick .
Im going to bite the bullet and get it . Turns out he bought a storage unit at auction and the m15 , psyclone, and a hurricane were in it . Hopefully he had the rest and I can work a deal for them too .

I love to tinker with stuff but sometimes they don't go back together so good the first time lol
If you can work out a deal on all of them, I'd be all over that!

They last for a long time. Mine had well over 30,000 hrs before it finally conked out. I pulled the compressor out and sold it for $40.

Last edited by shawnette; 2015-04-13 at 1:36pm.
Old 2015-04-13, 6:10pm

I did buy the m 15 it seems like its doing well but with out a meter who knows . Apparently he had two m15s , a psyclone and a huricane but he scraped the rest because they didn't work a buddy of his told him they needed about 200 in parts . He said he got about 6 in scrap value . My jaw hit the floor when he told me that . I quickly told him to give me a call when he finds any and I will gladly give him more than that and fix them. The plastic protector on the counter is so dark that I can't read anything . I'm going to the store now to get triple a batteries for the flash lights . Lol of course when we need them there dead
Old 2015-04-13, 6:26pm
Phill

I started using enloop rechargeable batteries and they hold an 90% charge for a year and a 70% charge for three years but only come in AA and AAA thought they do have some D size holders for them. I love em.
Old 2015-04-13, 6:48pm

Never heard of the enloop batteries . We are in the process of going to rechargables . We only have AA now but soon we will have more . CVS didn't have any in AAA.
It appears that there is some glue over the protector maybe intentional to keep from being able to see it ?
Old 2015-04-13, 6:54pm

Turns out it was either a very thin layer of paint or black sharpie over the protector . It has 25,613 hours on it . Is that bad ?
Old 2015-04-13, 7:31pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
Turns out it was either a very thin layer of paint or black sharpie over the protector . It has 25,613 hours on it . Is that bad ?
That's fairly high, but you don't know if it's been refurbished. How much do you pay for oxy per week? $25-$30? If it works for 2 months, you've made a profit, so no money lost.

(ETA: I've had some with way higher hours that worked fine. As long as it produces oxy at a high enough purity level, you're golden!)

Last edited by shawnette; 2015-04-13 at 7:36pm.
Old 2015-04-13, 8:18pm

Very good point . Didn't think about it that way . Right now I'm not using any o2 , I'm just starting to collect things to start glass blowing . I've been lurking the forums for a couple years now but never took the plunge until now.
Old 2015-04-14, 5:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
WEll you could do the old chemistry lab trick of burning a dry wood stick until it has a good ember on it, blow out the flame and immediately into a jar with the out put of the oxycon in it.

If the ember bursts back into flame then you do have a higher oxygen content in the jar that the 20% in the air outside of the jar.
I suppose how quickly and how vigorously it relights can give you an indication of relative purity but nothing you could take to the bank.

But hey, $95 for something that does not blow fuses is a good deal to my mind but I have a technical bent and fixing things is one of my favorite hobbies.
that's great! it's exactly what i was doing with my two units that were in storage for a year or so.
it took a few minutes for it to start putting out good oxygen, the one i run daily (on my homefill) produces good purity almost instantly....all the same brand oxycons, ex15's.
Old 2015-04-14, 7:36am
Phill

Aye, with 'new to you" equipment you will want to give the oxycon twenty minutes time to come up to speed.
Remember too that oxycons work better in less humid and less dusty air if you can help it.
Old 2015-04-14, 12:22pm

true....BUT, i've been told that they were made with 85 year old lifelong smokers that live in florida in mind....

i've ran mine 95f and HUMID (and it's always dusty in the garage) no issues. just keep your filters clean and you'll be good to go.
Old 2015-04-14, 12:45pm
Alaska Boro

From the manual for a Millennium concentrator.

Operating Temperature: 55 - 90 F
Operating Humidity up to 95%, noncondensing
Old 2015-04-14, 5:55pm

Thats awesome news , I'm in Charleston so hot and humid is a constant
Old 2015-04-15, 8:24am

Buy it at that price. I paid $470 new from Saltcity Glass and love it.