LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-05-01, 11:09am

Default Question ??

OK for some reason I seem to be getting HUGE bubbles forming in my gather. I've never really had a problem with this untill just this last month or so. I have not changed anything as far as torch , propane or oxy goes. I do the smae thing I have for the last 10+ years, so how come? any suggestions? These bubbles are the huge ones where the glass seperates and goes into a huge hole, usually in the center of the bead.
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2015-05-01, 11:27am

any change in bead release?
Old 2015-05-01, 11:39am
Phill

Any changes in the humidity?

Perhaps a few more seconds pre-torching the bead release to drive out moisture?

Are you drying the entire length of bead release?

Please do let us know if you figure it out.
Old 2015-05-01, 11:56am

for some reason, some of the whites I use do that to me - I suspect some sort of off gassing between bead release and what chems are in the glass to make that specific batch of color. Its not every time and its not all whites - seem to recall the other color(s) that do it are the opaque ones that go really transparent when heated.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-05-01 at 12:02pm.
Old 2015-05-01, 12:29pm
Corgi Cult Member

All glass, or one in particular? Sometimes rods that have a scratch on the outside, or even a rougher area than the rest of the rod will cause bubbles in large gathers.

Although, this time of year I would suspect the bead release and humidity issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-05-03, 1:28pm

That happens to me when there are holes down the center of the glass rod. Handmade glasses like Opal Yellow and Dark Pink have lots of holes, large and small, running along the inside of the rod. For me, that can cause large bubbles when melting the glass. There's no way around that. I use mashers to pop the bubbles if I can. It sucks when trying to make encased stringer.

Old 2015-05-03, 7:14pm
hyperT

Default Seeds

The glass may have tiny seeds in it which expand into larger bubbles when heated. Look at it with a magnifier and see if you notice anything like a line or tiny bubble in there. I just pop them with the heat by getting that spot really hot then let it fill itself back in or add a bit more glass. Just make sure you don't trap more air when adding more glass. I always put an "air trap" in my better pieces usually centered in a ball on the base. Offhand glassblowers use this to their advantage by just putting their thumb over the end of the blow pipe, it can also be used in lampwork at times.

Have fun, Wayne