TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-10-10, 12:47pm

WOW, Just had to bump this one up again. I will be trying this tomorrow. Great Tutorial. Maybe since I have been torching for awhile, I can learn this. PPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-10-16, 3:32pm
Mary Lockwood

That's funny because I've been revisiting this one recently too! I hope you all share your latest attempts. I'll post mine too.

I've taken to letting them go off the end of the mandrel and making drop shaped pendants with the epoxied sterling bails. It's really fun.

Also, I've been making my first coil around the mandrel for the disk in black or one of the colors that I'll be using in the implosion. This gives a band of color around the top instead of clear. Then, after the implosion is done, I go back and add more of that first color to the pointy end to flesh it out.

I've been putting frogs on them mostly, but I'm using them as a base to jellyfish too. The imploded dots and stripes (try twisties for fun) add a lot of great 'reef' looking dimension to the core of the aquarium style beads. I imploded little murrini slices into this one:

Old 2009-10-16, 3:43pm
Mary Lockwood

Here is what it looks like if you implode stripes of twisties.

Old 2009-10-16, 6:20pm

Awesome, and thanks for the new techniques, you just mentioned.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-10-16, 7:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Here is what it looks like if you implode stripes of twisties.

I love that!!!!!
Old 2009-10-22, 12:32pm

I actually gasped when I saw the example bead at the end of the tutorial. I'm a complete newbie but know good forum etiquette. I will read all the messages before asking what kind of glass you used. lol

Ellen
Old 2009-10-22, 12:44pm

I actually gasped when I saw the example bead at the end of the tutorial. I'm a complete newbie but know good forum etiquette. I will read all the messages before asking what kind of glass you used. lol

Ellen
Old 2009-10-22, 7:15pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Wow! I've read all nine of these pages. I soooo want to try these implosions. Everybody's beads are an inspiration to me, and I hope I can do it too!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-10-22, 7:44pm

I actually have a new cricket on order. I went to a afternoon thing over in Cape Coral, (10 lampworkers, meet) and they let me use a new cricket, It ruined me. I love my hothead, yet, that cricket, WOW, what a awesome torch. So I am going to wait, and try this, when I get the hang of the new torch. I follow this thread, and always will, because I love to see the pictures. I just gasp, when I see, this technique. More pics, always please.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-12-07, 8:33am

Here are my first two imploded beads! I made a third one, but it didn't turn out well, and then it cracked. I like the blue and white one the best, it looks like a water lily in person!

Old 2009-12-07, 5:05pm

Way to go Kellie: I waited forever to try one. Good for you.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-12-07, 6:18pm

I pulled one out of the kiln yesterday, dark purple and orange. I am very happy with this one, as soon as I get pics I will post them. I really, really like this technique.
And Nell I am so jealous that you are getting a cricket! (in the best possible way, I am excited for you!) I was saving up for one but due to a serious slow down for my husbands business, the money is going for bills instead lol! I will just have to wait for spring when business picks up a bit. Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

Old 2009-12-07, 7:24pm

Thanks Sonja: That post was in October. I have had it about a month now. It took awhile, to get used to it. In fact, I am still learning. It's like starting all over again. I loved my Hothead, especially when working with silver glass.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-12-10, 1:14am

If your implosion beads are cracking, don't throw them away. Split them completely (with a small screw in one end until they crack right through)

Make sure they are really clean of bead release.

Then slump them into cabs!

They make the most fabulous cabachons!

Old 2009-12-10, 6:47am

What a great idea, except I do not think the chili pepper kiln I own will slump glass.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-12-15, 8:10am
Always with a smile!

Hurray Mary, thanks very much,

) and
)
Old 2010-01-01, 7:27pm

glad someone bumped this up, I am going to take another shot at getting one to work out right, just as soon as I get my table set back up.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-05-27, 6:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Special Thanks to Mary Moth for sharing this awesome Tutorial! I've watched this thread for a long time...and have longed to try this method! Of course, leave it to ME to do something crazy and unconventional!

I actually tried it "off mandrel", which allowed me to make this Pineapple "topper" for my Spongbob's little undersea home!

I'm so happy with how it turned out...well, the topper at least! I should have used bigger dots on the Pineapple to make them spread closer when melted in, but you get the idea, I hope!

Thanks Mary!

Hugs,
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-27, 6:25pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

De that pineapple rocks! I love seeing all the sponge bob murrinis together.

Old 2010-05-27, 6:27pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Yeah..!!! Thanks Mary, I actually have something that I can post here, from your awesome tutorial, for this lil'ole newbie!!

I actually won 2nd place in the Artistry In Glass bead contest for this bead, in the beginner category! thanks again!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!

Last edited by sansan239s; 2010-05-27 at 6:28pm. Reason: lots of missed words..... oops
Old 2010-05-29, 11:56am
Formerly FishBulb

I can't remember if I posted in this thread before, but THANKS MARY!

I'm heading back out to the studio right now and I may just give this a shot.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-14, 5:45pm
Am I there yet ?

I have tried this with soft glass and have made several as trials. I have the technique down but I am struggling with one thing---the dots that are closer to the mandrel do not seem to migrate down to form the implosion. Am I not applying enough heat to the center? I have been keeping the heat toward the rim once I tip the mandrel down but now I wonder if I am neglecting the center dots toward the mandrel. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 2010-08-14, 9:03pm
Feminist Killjoy

Wow, Mary! I love the way the striped twisties look. Very unique.
Old 2010-08-16, 8:31pm
Am I there yet ?

Well, after a few more practices-I got it down, and it actually looks pretty good (for a newbie). Thank you Mary for this great tutorial-I have been playing with a few variations and it has been pretty fun to see the creativity and options you can do with this!

Last edited by CrestJewels; 2010-08-17 at 4:50pm.
Old 2010-10-03, 2:26pm
ilene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads View Post
Here is my latest attempt! Not a great picture for detail, it's cool in person though. A double implosion bicone. Mary, you be De' Bomb!!!!
~Suzy~
Suzy, what color is that sweet black/blue color swirl on the middle of your bead???

Excellent!
Old 2010-10-04, 11:01am
Bonkers about glass.....

So glad this got bumped up. I am inspired by what is here, and plan to have a go once my torch is up and running again.
Old 2010-10-05, 9:37am

Thanks for the lesson, my beads
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...?viewid=217795

Last edited by Sati1; 2010-10-05 at 9:47am.
Old 2010-10-09, 7:00am

Thanks for bumping this up. I have tried these in the past and never had it really work. But this tutorial makes it so clear. I am going to try again on Monday (when I am next at my torch).

Love all the beautiful beads.

Old 2011-01-15, 11:23am

OMGoodness, I am so happy to have read this tutorial this morning. Usually I head straight for the gallery to see what everyone has posted (which I did do first today as well). But I read this tut and ran outside in 32 degrees to try it. OMGoodness, I DID IT!!!! I actually made an implosion bead (3 of them) the 1st; not so good but then I GOT IT!!!! Made 2 more which were alot better, still will need about 10 tons of practice but I am so proud of my little newbies. I'll post the pittiful little babies when they cool. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial.

Sharon

Old 2011-02-03, 5:58am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestJewels View Post
I have tried this with soft glass and have made several as trials. I have the technique down but I am struggling with one thing---the dots that are closer to the mandrel do not seem to migrate down to form the implosion. Am I not applying enough heat to the center? I have been keeping the heat toward the rim once I tip the mandrel down but now I wonder if I am neglecting the center dots toward the mandrel. Any advice is much appreciated!
The dots closer to the mandrel on the disk won't implode as much as the dots further out, but they should still look imploded. The reason they don't travel down is because they don't have as far to travel. If you look closely at the sample beads I posted, you can see where the dots near the center of the disk are round puffy dots, and the ones further out are elongated. Just the nature of the beast I'm afraid!

Great everybody. This really is a fun technique that developed while I was trying to adapt offhand lampworking and furnace glass techniques to mandrel work. Beadmakers like a handle.

~~Mary