Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What is best for silver scrolls & dots--DH Aurea or Triton
Aurea 9 29.03%
Triton 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-29, 4:24pm

Default DH Aurae or Triton?

I'm wanting to buy some DH for making silver dots and scrolls. My dilema is do I buy Aurea or Triton? I think Aurea has a beautiful pinkish sheen to it, but have heard that Triton is easier to work with. What do you suggest?
Old 2012-10-29, 5:05pm
Slogan Challenged...

I find Aurae super easy to use with consistent results. It's a little harder if you want to the rosy-type glow. I found pulling stringer in small batches from frit a great savings over otherwise buying the rods, as long as you keep track of them...

---------------
Kristin ~
Old 2012-10-29, 5:08pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'm on a Hothead; I can always get silver from Triton, Aurae not so much - far more likely to come out murky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-29, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
I'm on a Hothead; I can always get silver from Triton, Aurae not so much - far more likely to come out murky.
I have a hot head beside my bethlehem torch, so that's good to hear.
Old 2012-10-29, 6:06pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hmmm, I'm on a hot head as well. I don't get murky, although I do usually leave my scrolls and dots raised.

------------------
Kristin ~
Old 2012-10-29, 6:11pm
Dichro Addict

I feel like Triton holds the metallic shine in the kiln better. I use Triton for all of my metallic surface designs.

Old 2012-10-29, 7:30pm
Tweedle Dumb

Aurae and I never really got along. Go for Triton.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-10-29, 8:32pm

I like Triton, but how about some Notos? It's a nice metallic silver when reduced, and I've gotten pretty good/consistent results.

Making beads is my therapy, but the glass definitely costs more than a therapist!
Working on a Nortel Major Minor Burner with propane & EX-10 Oxygen Concentrator

Visit my shop on Etsy ~ TrickyPixiesJewelry ~
See my latest designs on Pinterest
Old 2012-10-29, 9:56pm

I love Triton, I also love IL436 it will give you a silver or a rainbow sheen depending on how you reduce it

#C-151
Old 2012-10-30, 7:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Triton is very consistent. Aurae is more beautiful when it behaves right.

I mostly use Clio, Helios, Boreas and Notos.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-10-30, 2:32pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Aurae is my go to silver glass. I love the pinks, blues and purples you get with it. Triton seems to be lacking the same variables.

Old 2012-10-30, 7:58pm
Dynamic Duo

If going for just the reduced metallic - we use Aurae to get gold mettalic (via more striking than reducing), and Triton for silver.

Old 2012-10-31, 4:05am

I love the looking at everyone else's pics of what they can do with Aurae...but I find it very hit or miss. Triton is very much my go to for metallic. Doesn't mean I don't keep trying with Aurae! Lol

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-11-06, 1:09pm

Triton! I can't seem to get anything eye-popping unusual from Aurae (but I do have some in my stock).

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-11-11, 10:47pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I don't have a problem with either. I guess it depends on your experience with silver glass. They are both beautiful. Aurae strikes slightly faster than Triton (very slightly), but that's the only difference besides their color that I can say about them. It seems the concensus here is to go with Triton.

Patsy

Ebay: