LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-26, 7:17am

Default What's a good all-purpose 104 clear?

I won't be doing a lot of encasing, but probably some once in awhile. What clear do you recommend just for general use? Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-26, 8:45am
ManBearPig

I only use Lauscha clear. Whenever I use clear, it's in a situation where I want to have a large transparent area. Whether it be on the surface (as in encasing) or inside something (like a marble), I want the clear to be nice and clear, free of scum and bubbles. Lauscha always delivers it for me. It's a little more expensive, but worth it to me.

I know there are some new clears on the market now that are supposed to work well, but I haven't tried them. Lauscha works so well, and I'm so used to how it works, that I am afraid to try anything else.

Old 2006-06-26, 9:03am
Fight glass with FIRE

I think COSMO is right in a way about the last part. When you find a clear that works well for you all the time and that you know how to work it like the back of your hand it's hard to switch over to something else.

There are many clears available for you to try out now. Some like thicker 10mm rods to encase instead of 5-6mm and say it scums and boils less etc. You should try it out with different sizes and see what you like best. You can try the regular clears like Moretti and vetrofond and see if you can work them easily or you can try the new fomulas from both these companies like the Moretti 006 super clear and Vetrofond 005 crystal clear. Kugler has a clear that stays perfect but I've never tried it myself. Lauscha is popular also like COSMO said and is a nice alternative that you could try.

It's really all about you! Try different clears and see which one is best suited for your type of work and also your skills. Clear is like a torch, you have to find the right one for you! Order yourself a little of each clear and test it out slowly until you find yours!

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-06-26, 9:22am

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try some Moretti or Vetrofond for now, mostly because it's cheaper and I'm on a budget. I have lots of clear shorts that I've been using but some of them are not coe 104 and there's no way to tell which is which until you try to use it and it's bad... very bad...

Cheryl

Old 2006-06-26, 9:25am
ManBearPig

You can do a stringer compatiblity test to find out if they are compatible...

Old 2006-06-26, 9:34am

Thanks Chad, I never thought of that.

Cheryl

Old 2006-06-26, 10:46am
yukue fumei

Hi Cheryl-
If you like, PM me your addy and I will send you a sampler of 104 Clears...I think I have 5 different kinds to try.