LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-21, 1:59pm

Default Using a griddle as a rod warmer?

I have a Presto Liddle Griddle:
http://tinyurl.com/bl2qww

The temp dial goes down to 200° and then down to Warm. I'd like to use it to pre-heat my glass rods and millefiori, but want to end up with glass pancakes. . Has anyone had succesful experience with using a griddle on the lowest temp for preheating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-21, 2:05pm

That's a pretty cool idea. Never thought of using a griddle. I'll be curious to see if anyone else can answer too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-21, 4:07pm
Salt Box Beads

I use one of these with a piece of 1/4 in thick 8"X8" graphite laid on top. Much cheaper.. takes upless space and it gets really hot.

Got the idea from Kate Fowle Meleney. There was a picture in the booklet done by Jim kervin featuring Kate ...circa 2002' page 13.

http://www.target.com/Kitchen-Select...0burner&page=1

Lorraine
Old 2009-02-21, 7:42pm

Thank you, Lorraine. I'm guessing that the little griddle on 'Warm' would be enough to warm the glass enough so they don't thermal shock. All I do now is run the rod in through the high part of flame a while, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 2009-02-21, 7:47pm

I use something similar - it's an old hot plate that I bought at a second hand store for $8. It's approx 14" x 8" and has an adjustable temperature control.
Works great!

Suzanne
Old 2009-02-21, 7:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would use it on high - when you use your kiln as a rod warmer, it heats to 970, so why wouldn't you set a griddle as high as you possibly can?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-21, 9:47pm
Salt Box Beads

Yep! on high here as well...I hate popping glass!!!
Lorraine
Old 2009-02-21, 10:28pm
I speak Murrini!

I use this little puppy, on HIGH, and I like the design which doesn't allow room for dust or small murrini to fall into it at all! I also happened to find it on sale, which was about $5 off this listed price:

http://www.target.com/Aroma-AROMA-Si...20plate&page=1

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-21, 10:45pm
Forever

I use one of those old service warmer hot plates for put all of my glass rods on prior to torching. It works great. Only problem is that sometimes if I put the whole rod on the warmer, the end gets a little toasty; but, it does work extremely well. I drink too much coffee and get a little jumpy when the glass spits at me.
Old 2009-02-22, 6:02pm

I used it this afternoon, to heat some millefiori and some rods. All worked well, except for some of the white Moretti. Even though it was warm, it still shocked. And yet, other kinds of white didn't. All in all I'm quite pleased, especially since I already had the griddle.

Old 2009-02-22, 6:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
Yep! on high here as well...I hate popping glass!!!
Lorraine
I will take your suggestion the next time. Maybe that's why my white kept shocking.

Old 2009-02-22, 6:42pm
Bead Geek

I use the smallest George Forman grill as a rod warmer and have done so for years. It works great. Just slide your rod in between the little grooves and the great thing is that your roads are warmed from both the top and the bottom griddles when it is closed.

I don't even have to raise the lid to add or remove rods, I just push them up between the griddles as I am using them. I really does work well.
Old 2009-02-23, 10:01am
Salt Box Beads

There are some colors that are shocky no matter what you do. Sometimes you may get a rod of a color that is not shocky and blow the whole thing because it has a trapped air bubble the entire length of it.

But I sure like preheating....except the other day when I left my brain in the house.

I took a new rod off the hotplate and as I was getting ready to put it into the flame I saw a bit of fuzz or something on it , set my mandrel down and I pulled the rod between my thumb and forefinger to remove the offending piece of whatever it was.

Well lets just say that I was glad I had the Solarcaine spray and that I will never do that again!...I couldn't hold the mandrel after that because I had burned right where you hold a mandrel and with those two fingers...so I had to go get bandaids to finish my torching session!!

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-02-23 at 10:03am. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-02-23, 12:55pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
...I couldn't hold the mandrel after that because I had burned right where you hold a mandrel and with those two fingers...so I had to go get bandaids to finish my torching session!!

Lorraine
Sorry about your boo-boo! Hope it feels better soon! Fear is a great motivator - sad but true!

Hugs and boo-boo kisses!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro