LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-15, 3:42pm

Default Kiln problem...won't heat up

I have a Fusebox II kiln with a Partlow 1166 controller. Last week I came down and found it stuck at 734 degrees with an interior temp of room temperature. I cleared the program and tried to restart it and it clicked merrily away but wouldn't heat.

I figured the relay had gone bad so I ordered a new one and it arrived today. I installed it, plugged it back in and started a program...it again clicked and tried to run but the elements never heated.

I talked to Malcolm and he gave me some ideas to pursue and Starr suggested I post here as she remembered other ppl having problems like this

So, any suggestions? I desperately need this kiln right now
Old 2011-08-15, 4:07pm
offically down under

If it is clicking away, the relay is working. Could it be your thermal-coupler? If not that, the other thing would be your element. Being without a kiln is frightening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-15, 4:12pm

yeah, those were Mal's suggestions. The elements in a Fuse Box kiln are in quartz glass tubes...I'm not liking the idea of trying to take them apart on my own..
Old 2011-08-15, 10:40pm
one day at a time

do you feel nervous about making the repairs yourself? Maybe you could do what I did - do an online search for a kiln repair technician near you. Hopefully you will find one that is close.
Old 2011-08-16, 6:59am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

That controller is pron to failing, I have replaced many on the fusebox, after so many hours on them the board fries. they really don't like power surges.
If its just acting wacky your gona need a new controller. I used to use that controller on all my glass blowing studio eq until I hade a power surge and it killed 5 of them

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.

Last edited by GLASSFREEK; 2011-08-16 at 7:01am.
Old 2011-08-17, 8:20am

Denise,

If you haven't had any luck getting it fixed, I'm about 30 miles straight south of you. You are welcome to batch anneal here.

Kay
Old 2011-08-17, 12:33pm

It still might be the relay, I had a relay failure happen once where I could still hear it clicking.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-08-17, 2:13pm

Thanks everyone for your replies...

Anne, I've already tried replacing the relay and it still doesn't work
I've got someone coming this evening to look at it, we're down to three possibles, a loose connection, a broken element or a bad controller...if it's the controller then I'm pretty much out of business...

Kay, thanks for the offer...I have another beadmaker here at the Armory who could batch anneal for me, what's shutting me down is being able to do my glass fusing. I have commissions that are almost 2 weeks overdue now
Old 2011-08-17, 4:36pm

My kiln is one of the Jen Ken octagon ones, if your stuff will fit in there...come on down. I have way too much stuff to do for my daughters wedding to make beads at the moment.

Kay
Old 2011-08-17, 5:09pm

Denise,

Does someone in your area have an ohm meter? If you can get someone to help you measure the resistance (ohms) of your element with it disconnected from the relay and with the power shut off and unplugged . The resistance should be somewhere around 10 ohms.
If you get a reading of zero on the ohm meter then your element needs to be replaced.
If you need an element and you can match up the specs from the manufacturer then you can get inexpensive elements at duralite.com. I hope this info helps you get going quickly.

Mike
Old 2012-04-13, 9:02pm
Bead Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
That controller is pron to failing, I have replaced many on the fusebox, after so many hours on them the board fries. they really don't like power surges.
If its just acting wacky your gona need a new controller. I used to use that controller on all my glass blowing studio eq until I hade a power surge and it killed 5 of them

Mike
Mike,

I've had my Fusebox II for years. Had to replace the relay switch about 8 years ago and now in the past 3 weeks or so my relay switch has gone out 2 times. I'm wondering why all of a sudden I'm going through relay switches. We have had a couple of power outages/surges lately...maybe that is the problem or perhaps it's the controller. Either way I just don't trust this kiln anymore. How hard is it to replace the controller? I'm just wondering if it is worth the shipping back and forth to the West coast.

Any suggestions?