LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-22, 6:11pm

Default I hear the term "Organic"..what exactly is an Organic Glass Bead?

I've heard it..i've seen people post photos of it..but i don't know what it really is or what it means?

Would love to learn about it tho

Becky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-22, 7:08pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Becky, it's a question similar to 'how long's a piece of string?'

But to me, the term relates to any bead that's remotely earthy. That could mean that it features striations or other markings that mimic stone, rock, dirt, you name it.
It could also pertain to a 'style' which is swirly, has metal elements, or not, and can be in any colours (single or multiple), but with some kind of treatment/reactions that change a look or surface from smooth and shiny, to something less so.
So, really I think it's to do with effects, to mimic nature somehow.

Hope it helps

I'd call this an 'organic' simply because I went for an effect similar to agate:

I'd also call this an organic:

Or this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2013-02-22 at 7:12pm.
Old 2013-02-22, 8:25pm

Organic beads are often amorphous or nature inspired with soft lines and earth tones.
Pretty much the opposite of geometric lines and dots in bright colors.

It's sort of buzz word bingo of the art world.
A good design course or art history covers a lot of the lingo.
90% of at history is vocab and recognizing art, artist, and elements of design.

Old 2013-02-23, 3:35am

All of the above. I consider them unstructured... the way nature is. You'd think they'd be easy to do but I stink at organic beads. There are so many folks who make them so well and then... then... then... there is me! sigh... and lol @ myself.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-02-23, 6:03am
All Zeke, all the time

When I start to make a particular item and the resulting item looks like nothing like what I attempted to make nor like any other object one would strive to make, I call the end result "Organic". It is a way of preserving my fragile ego when I fail.
Old 2013-02-23, 6:07am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
When I start to make a particular item and the resulting item looks like nothing like what I attempted to make nor like any other object one would strive to make, I call the end result "Organic". It is a way of preserving my fragile ego when I fail.
That's like when the foodies don't feel like fancy knifework so they call the preparation "rustic".

Organic is one of those terms - I know it when I see it, but it's hard to define. I think it's non-structured - if there's a pattern (in the sense of a plan or blueprint) to it, it's not organic.

L-111

Old 2013-02-23, 8:58pm
Life is change. Love it

These are some beads of mine that I would label organic. The glass is allowed to move and react, there is more of a free flow and less structured design.
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-23, 8:59pm
Life is change. Love it

Here are some more. Sorry for the multitude of posts, can't be bothered to photoshop to allow upload
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-23, 9:01pm
Life is change. Love it

and more
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-23, 9:12pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I learned something from Larry Scott about organic beads at the Gathering last year....he posted a picture of one of his perfect dot designs and then a picture of a honeycomb...yes, it is a reflection of a design in nature. So, in my mind, anything that mimics nature in one way or another is organic. I think this term has been overused. (I'm just as guilty!)

Old 2013-02-24, 9:34am
jamieincharlotte

I love your beads Carolyn. I'm an organic junkie as well. Do you have a tutorial for sale for the last set of opal yellow looking beads? They are beautiful and love the "organic" look.
jamie

Old 2013-02-24, 3:27pm

Default Organic

Thank you for the explanations everyone..that clears up a lot Carolyn i love the colors in the second photo..what glass is that?

i love all the photo explanations you all posted. Beautiful beads. Someday i'll get there.

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer.

Becky
Old 2013-02-27, 10:29am
Mary Lockwood

I've always thought of organic beads with the other uses of the word organic. When something is allowed to happen 'organically', it is with a minimal amount of forcing or manipulating into a contrived or planned-out form.

So that defines an organic bead for me. I don't think it matters what color it is or what shape it is. If it was made with a minimal amount of direction, if it was allowed to do it's own thing, if it is a pattern or texture that you couldn't control the details---that is organic to me.

It was allowed to just 'be'. Now, after that happens, if you squash it into a bead press and make it formed into a crisp shape, that's still classified as organic to me because the look of the glass itself was allowed to develop on its own (the color reactions, swirls, etc). It doesn't have to be a lumpy blob on the end of a stick. It just has to have an element of style that the maker couldn't dictate.

Old 2013-02-27, 2:57pm
BeadsonCypress

Carolyn, please share the joy!! Love those beads!!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2013-02-27, 3:12pm
Lampworkaholic!

I think of organic beads as abstract art.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-27, 3:49pm

To me, organic is art that has a feeling which represents an image of nature.

Wolflo(Lois)
Old 2013-02-27, 4:20pm

For me, organic means I am not following a particle pattern. More often than not, people find pictures within them -like mini Rosarch! Rather fun hearing different interpretations of the same bead.

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-02-27, 5:13pm

All the beads are GREAT... Lois the first one I love!
I love organics, they are one of my favorites, I like the surprises I sometimes get without trying. They just happen!
Cherri
Old 2013-02-27, 5:49pm

Cherri: Thank you! Yes, that is the "ah, gottcha" about organics.....THE SURPRISES! Then they become addictive and not to mention...just so much fun! I get so excited when I put a bead into the kiln that ...looks....like it might come out interesting. It's such a thrill! All those interactions! Lo.

Wolflo(Lois)
Old 2013-02-28, 5:35am
BeadsonCypress

I tell my daughter, let me see what the klin fairies brought be today!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator