LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-29, 11:27pm

Default Aren't beads supposed to have "nice" holes?

I have noticed quite a few beads up for auction, and getting bids, that have ragged holes. More than one artist. I thought this was a bad thing, for the beads to have sharp edges at the holes. I've written alot of beads off as non-sellable because of imperfect holes. What gives? The beads I'm talking about aren't ones that are being offered for 99 cents. Their starting bids are much higher than that and they end up selling for decent, if not huge, prices. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being too much of a perfectionist. I always feel like my beads are duds if they don't have a dimpled hole, and if the hole is ragged, I don't even consider selling them, although I've had friends buy them and say they'd use a bead cap or seed beads to protect the thread. I'd love some insight into this.

Thanks!

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-29, 11:31pm

well honestly, one of my customers lives close to me and has bought beads from some of the people on ebay who get higher prices. when she showed me I was shocked. chill marks, uneven holes, and some sloppy work overall. She didnt know any better and like most people just thought they were pretty.
I dont get it either.

Old 2007-07-29, 11:36pm
Entropy increasing....

Some beads can't be made with puckered ends. If mine don't have them, like my goddesses on the neck end, I use a diamond burr to smooth them.

I don't believe there are "rules" where art is concerned. Smooth holes are more aesthetically pleasing and nicer to make jewelry out of. That's about it.
Old 2007-07-29, 11:41pm
needs to light the torch.

I am anal and I need my beads to have nice holes regardless...

Old 2007-07-29, 11:42pm
Sheila

I bought some beads like that before I started lampworking, and paid a decent price for them. After I got them, I went back and looked at the auction and didn't see any jagged holes in the pictures. I never bought beads again online unless I could see all the bead ends in the pictures. At least the beadmakers you're talking about show them. I'd be too embarassed.

I agree with Kevan, puckers aren't necessary, but sharp ends are just sloppy.

Old 2007-07-29, 11:50pm
Entropy increasing....

Sharp ends are kinda dangerous.
Old 2007-07-30, 6:58am
Cherine Perrin Glass

What Kevan said: Sharp end are dangerous. Not only that but eventually they will crack/chip off at the ends. In my opinion it is a sign of a lampworker with not much time under his/her belt and just doesn't know why you shouldn't sell beads that are not well-formed. In the case of beads that you can't really get good puckered holes like Kevan mentioned her goddess' - the holes should be at least flush and not sharp. That's my take on it - if anyone cares...

-- Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-07-30, 7:03am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I have noticed quite a few beads up for auction, and getting bids, that have ragged holes. More than one artist. I thought this was a bad thing, for the beads to have sharp edges at the holes. I've written alot of beads off as non-sellable because of imperfect holes. What gives? The beads I'm talking about aren't ones that are being offered for 99 cents. Their starting bids are much higher than that and they end up selling for decent, if not huge, prices. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being too much of a perfectionist. I always feel like my beads are duds if they don't have a dimpled hole, and if the hole is ragged, I don't even consider selling them, although I've had friends buy them and say they'd use a bead cap or seed beads to protect the thread. I'd love some insight into this.

Thanks!

Cheryl

I noticed the exact same thing. I was shocked at the prices some bead sets were getting considering the state of their holes.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-07-30, 7:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Some beads can't be made with puckered ends. If mine don't have them, like my goddesses on the neck end, I use a diamond burr to smooth them.

I don't believe there are "rules" where art is concerned. Smooth holes are more aesthetically pleasing and nicer to make jewelry out of. That's about it.
I agree. It is an aesthetic thing and up to the buyer to decide. As for the chill marks there are times I think they are just fine to leave in the bead.
Old 2007-07-30, 7:47am

What Kevan said again!

Old 2007-07-30, 8:15am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I agree with Kimberly, the holes should be smooth whenever they can't be puckered. Also I know someone ( don't know her name but I do know her businessname, Shibumi beads) who does the most awesome perfect beads WITH chillmarks. I saw a set of her pressed pillows I think about a year and a half ago, and each and everyone was pressed to perfection , chillmarks left on them. Now that takes control if ya ask me, I am still very impressed with those beads.

As far as unwanted chillmarks, if I don't want them, I always polish them out. I've seen some pretty top dollar beads wich looked absolutely awefull cause of unwanted distortion, uneven holes ( unintended uneven holes) and chillmarks ( again, unintended chillmarks, the kind you get when rolling a bead over a marver) on them. I wouldn't sell them but people like them, she doesn't mind selling them, good for her and her happy customers.

Old 2007-07-30, 8:36am

Thanks everyone. I have beads that have holes that are flush and I don't worry about them as long as the edge isn't sharp. I may look into a diamond burr to smooth out a sharp edge if it's not too bad and it's a nice bead otherwise. I've been making jewelry for years and have friends who do as well, and I want the beads to be user friendly for them. Anyway, I just needed some insight into this. Thanks again!

Cheryl

Old 2007-07-30, 12:40pm

User friendly is a good term. I think it is bad form to sell something that is going to be a safety issue, or a wear issue. From there it is up to the artist's or the buyer's personal preference.
Old 2007-07-30, 4:13pm

I like *some* chillmarks (on transparent glass they can make it look sparkly!)
I don't like sharp holes...if they're not disclosed in the auction...
I don't mind the odd holes that presses make on some shapes (like some people are crazed by the funny "lentil" holes? Those don't bother me--'cause swarkie bicones fit in them *perfectly*!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-07-30, 5:12pm

i try to get nice ends and use a diamond bur if needed
Old 2007-07-30, 5:41pm
The Andrea Half

I really try to get nice ends. Sometimes I have to settle for flush, and sometimes I will settle for smooth--but never extruding or sharp. It just looks bad. I might add a bead that did have a sharp end as an extra freebie, with a note on it saying that I didn't feel I could put it in the auction, but that if they *can* use it safely, there it is.

Sometimes, though, as Kimberly said, I've taken pictures that really exaggerated the ends and made them look sharp or uneven when they weren't.

Old 2007-07-30, 6:01pm
Chelle Shocked

I'm very particular on getting my footprint right in the first place. It could take me a while but it saves alot of "cleaning up" later on if things don't go according to plan. Sharp edges...never!!!

Mini CC & Oxy Con
Old 2007-07-30, 9:42pm

Hello, I hope I am not intruding here but when you talk about a diamond bur, what exactly are you talking about? Thanks so much
Rita
Old 2007-07-30, 9:51pm

I'm fussy about the bead holes, but some of my work has chill marks, because if I heat it to polish it out, detail is lost - sheep ears and the bottoms of their feet are my main examples.... I decided the feet are for traction, little sheeply moon boots...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-07-30, 10:08pm

All in all I guess it's good that I am so bent on getting nice holes. It will make my beads better in quality and more desirable to the jewelry makers who I market to.

Cheryl

Old 2007-07-30, 10:25pm
Entropy increasing....

Chill marks have nothing to do with the quality of a bead. One might wish to utilize chill marks intentionally.
Old 2007-07-31, 4:07am
Happiness is....

I'm really glad this topic is being talked about. I'm a newbie and I do batch anneal.
I have approx 300 beads that I went through the other day, and I only found 10-12 that were *perfect* I was so depressed. I felt like I had wasted so much time and glass on really crappy beads.
After I saw this thread I went back through my beads, and only threw the sharp edged ones and the burned ones back in the yukky box. The ones that weren't absolutly perfect but weren't dangerous I saved. I can make bracelets for practically everyone I know, and they'll think they are the bomb. My SIL thinks that makes it handmade, but I really do know better.
So the moral of the story is YES I will get better, I do practice nearly everyday. But seeing some of the regular posters speak up here has helped me out a great deal.
Thanks

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-07-31, 8:19pm
sunscreen me baby

You have not wasted your time! You are paying your dues and learning. Think about the fact that each one of those little beads taught you something. Hang on to your favorites and look at them again in a year. You'll be so proud of yourself, promise

~

Old 2007-07-31, 8:20pm
sunscreen me baby

As for the original question.

Yes! It will serve you well to make sure your holes are good ones Cheryl. You are doing the right thing.

~

Old 2007-07-31, 8:26pm
sunscreen me baby

How awful Kimberly! I would have died.
I think chill marks can look really cool on transparants, especially tabs.

~

Old 2007-07-31, 8:30pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
But, a very well known beadmaker grabbed it, held it up and shouted to everyone - "It has chill marks!"
Smacks of jealousy...and their karma awaits...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-07-31, 8:31pm
sunscreen me baby

Some people do have foot in mouth disease. I come down with it occassionally....

~

Old 2007-07-31, 8:32pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Sorry to hijack - back to the great discussion on holes!!
We were still discussing "holes"...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-07-31, 8:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-31, 8:45pm

Kim! Geesh... Some people...

I could easily love any of your beads, chill marks or no.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon