Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2009-02-21, 2:05am

I guess thats PPP! I have a pair of non serrated tweezers for straightening things up if they go wonky!

also, I found it easier to try one in boro first, where things were moving slower so I could see what was going on...then move into soft

thats just me though.

just think whats gonna happen when that kiln does arrive...itll be worth the wait!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-21, 2:33am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelineBunyan View Post
I guess I'm just annoying and want to make it work in soft glass out of stubbornness or something!!
I made an extra step to the technique to make it easier in soft, I kept getting big bits of clear touching the mandrel and it just looked bad so I adapted!(see above somewhere)

Its not that I don't love making them in boro too!
i found if i made a tiny bead first then built the disk on that - i also straightened up the disk a bit with mashers (cheating).

i recon with soft glass it also depends on picking the right colour - the yellow one worked really well by accident - i have no idea how the orange ended up on the outside!

one of my friends wants me to try it with the disk built up in a rainbow of different colours - sheesh! i had enough trouble just making a disk!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-02-21, 3:02am

hahaha friends eh? soon as you can make a bead they think you can do anything!

Ive struggled making nice ones in soft glass with 'ordinary' colours, the only ones I've liked have been silver colours.

thats what I do, make the small bead, except its a tiny cylinder.
how is it cheating to develop a technique to suit you?hehehe

Old 2009-02-21, 9:10am

I haven't had this much fun with a bead design since I started trying out marbles. I worked them in soft class with all the colors of twisties I had, then I made more. I did have problems with bleeding on the top layer which I solved by using a stringer that had been encased in a transparent before it was pulled and twisted.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited by deb tarry; 2009-02-21 at 9:11am. Reason: forgot to thank
Old 2009-02-21, 9:26am

Default Coral???

Hi Storm... would u mind me asking what color of coral u used to your wavey beads... all of my corals are more an orange that a pinky coral... and coral is one of my favorite colors!?!?! Thank u... Shari Barry
Old 2009-02-21, 2:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
hahaha friends eh? soon as you can make a bead they think you can do anything!
i made a rainbow petal bead - took me 7 attempts and 3 hours - now everybody wants one aaarrrggg!

Old 2009-02-21, 2:28pm

I once made an elephant, nothing special,(his eye was sort of on his ear, and he was blue!he wasn't very good) when I had just started making fish, after about a year of lampwork I guess. a few people came up to see what I was doing and suddenly I was asked can you make a lizard? so I made something a bit lizard like, Can you make a parrot? so I made something sort of parrot like...then they tried to test me...can you make a sloth?

what do these people think I am???

sorry for being off topic...I promise I will go and make a wavey bead later and post pics soon!

Old 2009-02-21, 2:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
I once made an elephant, nothing special,(his eye was sort of on his ear, and he was blue!he wasn't very good) when I had just started making fish, after about a year of lampwork I guess. a few people came up to see what I was doing and suddenly I was asked can you make a lizard? so I made something a bit lizard like, Can you make a parrot? so I made something sort of parrot like...then they tried to test me...can you make a sloth?

what do these people think I am???

sorry for being off topic...I promise I will go and make a wavey bead later and post pics soon!
LOL sloth?

Old 2009-02-21, 5:52pm

I know...It looked more like a labrador puppy in the face anyway.

Ive been playing with 'ordinary' soft glass colours....we will see what happens...I also made some in faux boro, but I cant tell whether it was good or bad!

Old 2009-02-21, 9:16pm
passionate about pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymeout View Post
Hi Storm... would u mind me asking what color of coral u used to your wavey beads... all of my corals are more an orange that a pinky coral... and coral is one of my favorite colors!?!?! Thank u... Shari Barry
sure thing.....

first picture starting on the right:
tequila sunrise - lighter tones of orange and pink
dusty rose - turned out more pink tones, no orange color

second picture:
coral red - dark oranges and red tones
black cherry - reds and red purple tones...not very much orange at all

third picture (the beads in the middle that look the same):
peachy pink - these four basically looked the same varys from orange to pink
coral mustard
peachy persimmon
mango coral

I hope this helps.....I get these colors from the Shannon hill raffle and they were all labeled so i just took the name of the labels.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-02-21, 9:30pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Rob, that is just the coolest thing I've seen all day. Thanks for sharing it with us! I'll try it soon.

Old 2009-02-22, 9:16am

THank You!
Old 2009-02-27, 10:22pm
Spoiled

Here's a couple pandora size wavey beads.
Attached Images

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2009-03-01, 11:34am

Some 'ordinary' glass colours from me

They don't exactly go with eachother though! the left hand 2 are faux boro...

Old 2009-03-04, 1:55pm

guess I shoulda made nicer coloured ones...

Old 2009-03-04, 2:05pm
moth to the flame

Quote:

Some 'ordinary' glass colours from me

They don't exactly go with eachother though! the left hand 2 are faux boro...
I like them! Its funny, I can't put colors like that together and think they look good but when others do it I think its the greatest idea in the world..
The one farthest to the right on the mandrel is totally my fav though.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-03-04, 2:16pm

thanks Dona.
I like the colours on the individual beads, but as a group....eurgh!

I am known around the college I go to for sticking some very odd colours together.
purple, green, ivory and deep red anyone?

Old 2009-03-20, 7:42am

THANKS! i did this last night with luna/nyx twisties and a davinci 2 rod just twisted with itself and clear and the beads are gorgeous! i am so excited! i will try to get pix this afternoon to post, but i wanted to say thanks NOW for posting this great tutorial! i am going to be addicted to these beads now!

Old 2009-03-20, 3:14pm

fantastic! thank you very much!
I'll try it tomorrow
Old 2009-03-21, 6:58am

I sat down last night and made my first 3 with my HH and 104COE. I didn't have much trouble at all and will post some pics later today. I used a 1/8" mandrel which made for some BIG beads and later today I'm going to try making some smaller ones. I used glass I had on hand but I ordered some twisties from our Twistie Queen, so hopefully my next attempts will be more colorful. Alos going to try building the disc with stringers.

Thank you, Rob, for sharing this with us!! I'm new to all this and I found your tutorial very easy to understand--especially with such clear photos.

Old 2009-03-21, 10:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckeyes View Post
Deb, I use schott artistic and i get mine from Generations Glass. U can get a mess of
6mm rod for next to nothing. Kristian from Generations glass will even cut the 4 foot sections in half for shipping.

http://www.generationsglass.com/
What is a good clear to use if you're using a HH and 104?

Old 2009-03-21, 10:44am

see the thread on clear

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=2374224

Old 2009-03-21, 12:57pm

Thank you, Madeline. I will defintiely check it out this evening. I am now down to 2 wavey beads as one (the prettiest of the bunch) broke while cleaning out the bead release. That will teach me to do that before the beads are annealed.

Old 2009-03-21, 3:23pm

okay, i am addicted. i love making these.... here's my first set... it's a kim blue base spiral with a Luna 2 and Nyx (i think) twistie on top... LOVE how these turned out!

Melanie

Old 2009-03-21, 3:25pm

this pic is a little bigger....

Old 2009-04-12, 7:41am

I can't believe someone even thought of this! This is so amazing and I had no idea this is how these were made. I cannot WAIT to try it!!!!!
Thank you so much for posting this!

Old 2009-04-13, 9:32pm

Thank you for teaching me such a beautiful technique.
Old 2009-04-26, 7:51pm
Ambivitreous

Rob, Thanks for a really great tutorial. Couldn't be any clearer. Awesome beads! I can't wait to give this a try. So many cool variations posted too!

Phil
Old 2009-04-30, 7:58pm
Tweedle Dumb

whoo! HOO! can't wait to try! thanks for the tutorial- i hope i can do it justice!
Old 2009-05-23, 9:20pm
don't burn your fingers!

These are sooo kool! I am not much of a bead guy, but I think I will have to try a couple of these!! If I do, and they turn out< then I will definately post them!!