Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-03-02, 7:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Super Noob Q on Boro Colors...

OK - so here's my question: I see such amazing color, whispy variations, swirls, transparency, etc. in most of your boro work...is this done exclusively with the "Silver Colors" (i.e., "Momkas" "Glass Alchemy" and "Northstar" to name what comes to mind)?

I'm wanting to try boro - and bought a sampler of "Boro Stix" in Garage Sale recently. They are all lovely colors - but all opaque, and there are no names/tags on them. Will these colors just stay what they are - no effects, swirls, etc. I don't think there's a single transparent among them...maybe I started on the wrong foot!

Argh...I need HELP!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-02, 8:02pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Boro sticks are the equivalent of Opaque colors on the 104 COE side.
They will not give you what you are looking for (wispy trails).
They are GREAT for what they do, but they are not what you want.

What you should look into is a sampler pack from GA or Northstar
to get you started.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting Doug Remshneider's DVD
Boro Bead Magic. It's around $50, but you'll blow that
much on glass and end up with crud if you don't have a good
basis to start with. I loved his video because it gives you a lot
of great tips and a LOT of great recipes. Plus he tells you how to
work the glass AND gives you the kiln settings.

http://www.remschneiderglass.com/bor...agic_video.htm

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-02, 8:17pm
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, thanks so much Karen! I sort of thought this after the Stix arrived - and don't get me wrong, they look really pretty - but I'm so wanting to do something "different" than what I do with the opaques in 104. I'm wondering if anyone would buy these Stix in Garage Sale, and I'm also wondering if I put an "Want to Buy" in there for the DVD, maybe someone has advanced past it and is ready to hand it down to this NOOB!

Maybe I'll give it a try..

Appreciate the candid reply and encouragement!

De

Old 2009-03-02, 8:44pm
Spoiled

You might want to keep the boro stix to use as a base for some of the other colors. Layering is a great way to get different colors. There's a thread a few pages back about great recipes and I know a couple use stix's as a base.

And you'll need clear.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-02, 9:07pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Aimee...

I'm tempted, but I'm a bit slim on finances right now, and I thought maybe selling one lot (Stix) to buy another (Northstar, maybe) wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll go check it out though - I've waited this long...so I best not be too hasty!

I'm quite set on the clear - at least for now (I think!). I purchased 1.5 lbs. of 3mm and they look just "my size" (I've always worked small and probably will continue to do so at least in the beginning!)

Thanks!
De

Old 2009-03-02, 9:11pm
Bust It Big

You should definately experiment with your colors before you give it up so fast. Try mashing a gather of clear rod, or make a maria of clear. Apply your colors in lines(both thick lines and stringers) and dots. then let it cool. After it cools look at your lines through the clear glass. This is 1 way to see what your sample colors will do. You will be able to get a lot of different effects by adding your colors to clear rod.

A lot of the variation we get out of our boro colors comes from working it in different flame settings. Experimentation is the key. Have fun with it.

Last edited by bzglass; 2009-03-02 at 9:14pm.
Old 2009-03-03, 6:38am

De if you will pm me your address I'll send you some colors to play with. You need to put your info in RAOGK woman!
Old 2009-03-03, 11:31am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Honey, get on over to the Glass Alchemy site.
They are still having their sale - and they have discounted
prices on everything.

Here's the link
http://glassalchemy.com/cart/index.p...63d6a7524961af

For $100 you can get a FULL sample set of both rods AND frits.
It's a steal. I'd also recommend getting "The Alchemist's Guide to Boromax Chemistry" kit for $20 in addition to whatever glass you buy.
It's a great way to learn how boro works.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-03-03, 12:51pm

If you have Boro-stix white I will gladly buy it. Send me a pm if so. Thanks
Old 2009-03-03, 1:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Ooo, thanks so much Karen! I sort of thought this after the Stix arrived - and don't get me wrong, they look really pretty - but I'm so wanting to do something "different" than what I do with the opaques in 104. I'm wondering if anyone would buy these Stix in Garage Sale, and I'm also wondering if I put an "Want to Buy" in there for the DVD, maybe someone has advanced past it and is ready to hand it down to this NOOB!

Maybe I'll give it a try..

Appreciate the candid reply and encouragement!

De
Hi De,
I am new at the boro thing too, i mean really new, all of my glass came and my boro bead magic video and I have been so sick i cannot play. I have not been on the torch for way over a week now. I can say without a doubt the boro bead magic video is really good and gives the recipes you need to create those cool boro beads. Also, smiley's video is great and he really teaches you as well with the northstar colors. the amber purple is just so great. They both work differently and if i am correct GA is Doug's and NS seems to be favored by Brent Graber. I could be all wrong there but their videos seem that way. Also, to answer your first question it seems that all of the colors i had to buy for their projects WERE the Silver glasses. Hopefully i will be on the flame soon. Pneumonia!!! ugh!
steph
Old 2009-03-03, 8:42pm

De... I 2nd Karen's recommendation for colors at GA's site... they are having their once a year sale on OCQ colors right now, and you will NOT be able to get ANY boro at this price ANYWHERE at this price the rest of the year, so don't miss this!!!

How to tell if the glass is silver? If it's GA glass, READ the manual on colors they have. The directions are the clue. Plain opaque glass do not require striking or reducing.

Each manufacturer has info on their site about their colors, GA and Northstar both do.

Unfortunately, none of the borostix are silvered glass... but they make great bases for the silvers for layering! Since the silver colors tend to be the most expensive (which is why you want to GRAB em at $18/lb... imagine if you can buy Double Helix once a year for $18 a lb.. you wouldn't get some?), layering will save you money (plus give you different effects).

1 stick of each color will last you a VERY long time if you think 3mm clears are your size. hehe. One sample pack from GA or Northstar or Momka will tell you all you need to know about which colors do what if you take good notes.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-10, 9:37am
Lampworkaholic!

Which silver colors are $18 lb.? Thanks! Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-03-10, 11:17am

Someone correct me if I wrong but I think Peacock, Twilight, Indigo Luster, Black Pearl and Amazon Night.
Old 2009-05-12, 1:25pm
Life in the slow lane

Thanks De for posting this question. My boyfriend just purchased some boro stix to play with last night but I had no clue if they would change colors or anything. I had only used GA when I played. I'm sending a link to this thread for him to read.

Old 2009-05-12, 2:56pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
OK - so here's my question: I see such amazing color, whispy variations, swirls, transparency, etc. in most of your boro work...is this done exclusively with the "Silver Colors" (i.e., "Momkas" "Glass Alchemy" and "Northstar" to name what comes to mind)?

I'm wanting to try boro - and bought a sampler of "Boro Stix" in Garage Sale recently. They are all lovely colors - but all opaque, and there are no names/tags on them. Will these colors just stay what they are - no effects, swirls, etc. I don't think there's a single transparent among them...maybe I started on the wrong foot!

Argh...I need HELP!!!

De
Go get some Northstar Double Amber Purple and Blue Moon. Those two colors are very easy to work, and very easy to get multiple colors out of. Try making just simple beads with each color, then try encasing them and see what different colors you get.

This bead is all Amber Purple with dots of clear on it:

But, a lot of colors are possible using just clear and fuming with silver and/or gold, like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv4ever View Post
Someone correct me if I wrong but I think Peacock, Twilight, Indigo Luster, Black Pearl and Amazon Night.
Peacock and Twilight aren't silver colors. They make a Peacock Chameleon nd Twilight Chameleon that are those colors with silver added.