No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-29, 7:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I guess I need to make a duel version of them, too, but that would be at least a month away.
Tht's OK. I can wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-31, 8:14am
Boro Bum

Just ordered the Classic 4 and was reading this thread for ideas. Is there anything i should know about the classic 4 that different then the other ones?

Thanks
Steve
Old 2009-10-31, 2:06pm

Just remember not to use too much pressure when rolling a bead. These are simply marvers that are not flat. If you roll a bead on a flat surface with too much pressure it will push the glass and you'll get a lopsided beads. Same thing with these, or any curved surface you roll on.

Make the footprint a bit smaller than the cavity to get the puckered end.

-Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-02, 5:39pm

Quote:
Two new ones early this week, a mini spacers with 5 different shapes (two of each, for a total of 10 cavities) smaller than the Bantams for all the 'oh my gosh, you make smaaaall beads' people. And the next 6 sizes up of disc (cause I love the disc) with 1/4" mandrel slot so the bead can be turned sideways and worn on a ribbon.
The mini spacers has been delayed, but the jumbo disc is up on my website

-D
(links are in my signature)

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-03, 2:50pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

has anyone used your beadrollers with the EMS? and how does it work out? Any tips be great.
katja
Old 2009-11-03, 3:02pm

I see you have a base for sale. How does it work and do you need a base to use the beadroller? I have just found out about beadrollers, and I want one, and need to know if I need a base with it.
Old 2009-11-03, 3:31pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
The mini spacers has been delayed, but the jumbo disc is up on my website

-D
(links are in my signature)
Will the mini spacers be for the smaller, 1/16 mandrels?
Old 2009-11-03, 3:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti View Post
has anyone used your beadrollers with the EMS? and how does it work out? Any tips be great.
katja
OK, I plead ignorance. What is EMS?
(oh, I just figure it out. electric mandrel spinner - duh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
I see you have a base for sale. How does it work and do you need a base to use the beadroller? I have just found out about beadrollers, and I want one, and need to know if I need a base with it.
No you don't need the base. Each tool is a marver unto itself. The purpose for the base then? When you have a mandrel in one hand, and a glass rod in the other, your tool is setting on the table.

I roll the bead in the marver as I build it up, to help shape as I go along (cause I'm about the sloppiest base bead builder on the planet) and the marver is sitting flat on the table. awkward So just prop it up against something, like maybe a brick.

Or if you're like me, I don't particularly want a brick in my way, and the base was specifiably designed to hole the beadroller at approximately a 30 degree angle, and also keep it from sliding around (cause I don't like chasing it either) or possibly falling over and chipping. And the tool can easily be picked up from the base for shaping when you switch your mandrel to your dominant hand (which is on the other side of the torch, funny how that worked out that way)

But seriously, no, the base is not required to be able to use the tools, but it's handy.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-03, 4:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
Will the mini spacers be for the smaller, 1/16 mandrels?
it will have a 3mm mandrel slot, like the bantam, best with the 1/16" mandrel.
these beads are almost to small to build on a 3/32" mandrel anyway.
on one of the long narrow paddles, so you can make for than one bead on a mandrel with these, too.

oval
7x11mm
8x13mm

barrel
7x7mm
10x10mm

disc
3x8mm
4x10mm

round
7mm
8mm

donut
4x8mm
5x10mm

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-04, 5:04am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti View Post
katja
An EMS (Electric mandrel spinner) works TERRIFIC with the beadrollers. I don't even have to slow it down ... just lightly touch it to the hole you want to use and the spinner does all the work!! Just don't push on it ... use the outter portion of the cavity to do the shaping.

I own 2 of Donna's beadrollers and yesterday bought 3 more. It's the best tool when using an EMS I have found!!
Old 2009-11-04, 6:55am
Queen Bee

Oh man, I wish I had 5 beadrollers!! I'm having a ball with my classic four, I really love it. I'm not buying any more presses.....I was so frustrated with them! This tool is reallly easy, and a much better choice, especially for a newbie

I'm always looking for other applications of something, and I use the beadroller for a couple of other things.....the back of it is a perfect flat hand held marver. So it has double versatility!

And if you don't have an EMS, which is the majority of us there's still hope.
Yesterday, I used it to steady my mandrel for a perfectly balanced bead. Just hold it up straight and level in your left hand, and put the mandrel into the outside of the slot to steady the bead while turning it in the flame. (Like the Jim Smirnich paddle with the hole). Works like a charm! So, triple versatility...try it, you'll like it!

I have a pandora beadroller on my Christmas gift wish everywhere!! My daughter and nieces will have to wait for their bracelet beads until after Christmas this year LOL!

Roll on!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2009-11-04 at 6:56am. Reason: clarification
Old 2009-11-04, 7:46am

I love my Pandora Plus barrel roller because it has the two sizes I make the most. I ordered the disc and round Pandora Plus rollers and should have them today. I've used the barrel more than I've ever used any other press or masher.

Old 2009-11-04, 10:18am

JELOUS..... I have a manual EMS, it's called my hand.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-04, 10:29am
Creatrixie

Smile Drooooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
An EMS (Electric mandrel spinner) works TERRIFIC with the beadrollers. I don't even have to slow it down ... just lightly touch it to the hole you want to use and the spinner does all the work!! Just don't push on it ... use the outter portion of the cavity to do the shaping.

I own 2 of Donna's beadrollers and yesterday bought 3 more. It's the best tool when using an EMS I have found!!
Okay, I'm just going to have to "invade" your studio, Angie!
You're just going to have to share some pics of these beads you've been making so easily with your fab set-up!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-11-04, 5:08pm

I concur about the EMS!! Its like they were meant to be used together. Just remember to use a very light touch and the outer edge as mentioned above. A match made in heaven!!
Mary T.

Old 2009-11-05, 12:20pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

oh goody, now I have to get me one of the beadrollers. hardest ? which one. thanks for answering the EMS ?. Somehow I thought it might work.
Katja
Old 2009-11-05, 6:34pm

I just got my EMS .... and oh WOW - I agree with Mary - these two tools are made for each other! Perfect beads ...

Now I just have to get bigger beadrollers (most sizes are too small for me so I'll be offering them in the garage before I buy bigger sizes) and then I'll be in bead making heaven!

Old 2009-11-05, 10:33pm
daughter and I

You're right on graphite being a higher grade, it's not the newness, so it will be like that for the life of the tool. My machinist started me on using the second highest grade for 'glass product' tools.

-Donna[/quote]

I have almost put all my other marvers away as I am using my bead rollers for nearly every bead I make even if it is just for beginning shaping. I have 4 and ordered another that has yet to arrive. You won't be disappointed. They are well made and very versatile tools. Thanks Donna.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-11-05, 11:46pm

I'm glad to hear the beadrollers work so well with the EMS. That's pretty cool.

I've been working hard to get a line of basic shapes established, and still have more in mind, but now I can also start doing the fun phase of adding a wider selection of sizes, along with new shapes.

Stay tuned, I'm moving as fast as my pocket book will let me expand. The more choices I add, the better you guys can customize your own niche.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-06, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie_folly View Post
I have almost put all my other marvers away as I am using my bead rollers for nearly every bead I make even if it is just for beginning shaping. I have 4 and ordered another that has yet to arrive. You won't be disappointed. They are well made and very versatile tools. Thanks Donna.
I have 3 and perhaps after the 1st of the year I can add to my collection.

Old 2009-11-07, 9:56pm
Formerly FishBulb

I just have to say how glad I am to see such a wonderful set of tools! I have your website on my Christmas list, Donna. The beadrollers look just awesome.

I do have a generic one with two rounds on it, and I quite liked it once I got over the learning curve. When I saw all the sizes of rounds you have I just about fainted. Yay! Rounds to my heart's delight!

I have a dumb question: If you squish a bicone made with one of your beadrollers, will you get a nice diamond shape? Have you tried?

I have my list of ones that I want -- all sizes of rounds, donuts, the chunky oval trio, the Pandora rounds, and if bicones can also be made into diamonds, well, I'll have to put that one on the list too.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-11-07, 11:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
If you squish a bicone made with one of your beadrollers, will you get a nice diamond shape? Have you tried?
I'll give it a try and post a picture.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-09, 12:55pm

Quote:
If you squish a bicone made with one of your beadrollers, will you get a nice diamond shape?
These are from the large bicone (smallest cavity) and the small chunky bicone (smallest cavity). I'll let you decided for yourself if they are diamond shaped enough.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-09, 1:05pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I have 3 rollers and I have to say, all of them are just awesome (jumbo disc, large oval trio and round pandora style plus). Donna, I'm so glad you are making these!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-11-09, 1:11pm

I am soooooooooo hoping my show in Houston this next weekend is good because I want to try more of these! Thanks Donna for such a great line!
Jenny

Old 2009-11-09, 1:16pm
Amy

Ahhhh crud, now I NEED to have one of these. Now which one first as I don't think I can get all 3 that I want right away. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.

Dabler of many, master of none.
Old 2009-11-09, 1:37pm

Thanks guys. I'm truly overwhelmed by the great reviews they are getting.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-09, 3:55pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
These are from the large bicone (smallest cavity) and the small chunky bicone (smallest cavity). I'll let you decided for yourself if they are diamond shaped enough.

Oh, awesome! Those are just great! If a sharper diamond shape is needed it would be easy enough to heat the edges of the diamond and press them on the marver.

Alright, now I have another one to add to the list. Thank you for the test run, Donna!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-11-09, 7:16pm
Dangerous Woman

Resistance is futile.

I can NOT handle all the peer pressure around here!!!! Ya'll BETTER not jump off of a bridge!

I just ordered mine. Man I want them all!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-09, 7:35pm

Quote:
If a sharper diamond shape is needed it would be easy enough to heat the edges of the diamond and press them on the marver.
I had thought about doing that, but wanted to show what they would be like 'raw'.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-