LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-10-30, 9:07pm
I'm a lilac!

I gotta say, on the subject of sharing information, it's a heck of a lot more readily available now than it was when I started lampworking. There were no books, no forums, and I only knew two people who did it. If I saw beautiful beads at a show and so much as asked what color glass they used, I could expect to get a cold stare and told that information was their trade secret.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-01, 5:46pm

This is a great discussion and I can see both sides.

How you feel about tutorial prices is how I feel about class prices. Not because I don't think they're worth it but, a) because I can never afford them and, b) because I taught painting lessons for years and got a pittance of what glass artists make teaching these days! Lol!

So, I actually look at buying tutorials as an incredible bargain! They're like a private lesson between me and the artist - just one on one. Had I taken a class there may be several people and I might not see things close up as I do in a tutorial or hear everything explained as well over other people talking, etc, etc. And in the end I may still come out of it learning the same amount of things I could've in a tutorial instantly.

But, all that to say, I think some tutorials are more than worth their $25-ish price and some I have purchased are not - in my opinion. Or maybe they are and the really great ones with tons and tons of info are underpriced.

Because I know the only alternative to learning these new techniques is to take expensive classes, for now I am content to hand over a few dollars here and there to glass artists who are saving me all that extra time (and expense of wasted materials) to try and learn techniques on my own that took them maybe months or years to figure out themselves.

Additionally, I think the idea of not being able to share content is simply the only option artists have of protecting themselves against theft when dealing with materials that can be sent (and reproduced) electronically - we all suffer because of the dishonesty of a few who would take advantage if given the option.

If this info were in physical book form no one would bother going through all the trouble of photocopying and reselling numerous copies of that book to make a buck. But with electronically produced material it's just too easy to be taken advantage of unfortunately.
Old 2010-11-01, 5:56pm

Oh! I forgot to mention that - for those of you who sell professionally, and/or you at least sell enough that you have to claim your income from selling beads on your taxes - you can deduct your purchase of tut's as an expense!

Obviously check with your tax advisor first, but I am able to do this - I label this section of my expenses as 'Education'.

You won't get everything you spent back, but it does help some. Just an FYI...
Old 2010-11-01, 6:19pm
Storm Queen

I agree about the class prices. I'm sure most artists are worth every penny but a $500 fee is just far too much for me to spend. I've taken one class at $500 and I haven't used a darn thing I learned in that class...not a thing. It was an interesting experience and I had fun and yes...I did learn some things but they were nothing that I've actually used in my bead making. I took a bargain class from Eric Radar...got it off an eBay auction he did. I felt guilty for getting a two day, two on one class from him at such a low price. I learned a bunch. Mostly with my encasing and working with silver foil.

Old 2010-11-01, 10:37pm
I'm a lilac!

The classes I've taken (three) have been absolutely worth their weight in human flesh... seriously. Absolutely incredible. I think the key is, actually, taking classes from people who do what you're kind of already doing, but do it way better.

Old 2010-11-02, 12:15pm
geekitude on two wheels

I don't think you do understand what I'm saying, since your post is missing my point. I'm not saying that selling the information or tutorial is creating a sense of secrecy, it's the format itself & unclear ettiquette/ rules for further disseminating the info that is creating a sense of secrecy. It is not the same as just selling a book in digital format - it is quite common to hear some one say something like, I read about this tech in xxx's book (or video) and then describe it in a couple sentences. It would currently be a major faux pas, and bring with is some pretty heated opinions if someone were to share similar info from someone's tutorial. It is this sense of not wanting to share information for fear of stepping on someone's toes that I am most concerned about, and the idea that some people 'own' certain techniques. People's tutorials need to be good enough that people will want them even if they know about the technique - instead, people are trying to sell 'their' technique, and so 'guarding' that technique becomes important. I suspect that some of the problem is a lack of quality/ value for dollar that is the causing this sort of protectionism. If a tutorial was awesome, there would be no need to feel threatened but someone 'spilling the beans' about how it was done, since it would be either too complicated to share easily, or the benefit of words and pictures wold be so great that no one could capture it in a few sentences.

You are making a lot of assumptions about my comments on secrecy. Glass secrecy was hardly limited to sequestering people on an island and threatening them with death, there has been a long history of not sharing information, protecting secrets etc. across many cultures and tons has been lost because of it. It is hardly dramatic to say that not sharing information is a step backwards to the days of glass secrecy - the US 20-30 years ago was not what you'd call forthcoming with information. Virtually everyone who makes beads or flameworks today has benefitted hugely by information generously shared ( and by generously, i mean for free) by a few key people about 20 years ago. To me, it seems like a huge slap in the face to them and their efforts, and hugely ingrateful to not continue to share information as we develop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I see something missing.

1- "Generously shared" indicates a certain level of gifted information...which is certainly true. But information SOLD is still just as shared as information given away for nothing. People just paid to get it instead of having it handed to them gratis.

2- There is a big difference between requesting people not pass around copies of a tutorial and threatening people with death if they share guarded secrets. People were kept sworn to secrecy and sequestered on islands to keep their knowledge under wraps. Sorry, but I think saying that selling a tutorial goes back to the old days of secrecy is a bit dramatic.

3- If the Blaschkas HAD taught anyone their secrets it sure as heck wouldn't have been for free. LOL Not at that time and not now either. However, I must admit they probably wouldn't be doing it by digital tutorial. LOL

I'm all for sharing knowledge. I'm all for passing along what we know. I just don't think that it all has to be for free. It NEVER was all for free. People have always paid for books, classes, served as apprentices and gophers to earn their knowledge. How are tutorials different? They aren't. They are simply a new format...that's all.

~~Mary

Last edited by scoutycat; 2010-11-02 at 8:34pm.
Old 2010-11-02, 8:24pm
speed winding is a sport.

I have bought several tutorials and really don't mind spending the money. It is a lot cheaper than taking Master Classes...which I LOVE doing and would certainly take more of if they were available in my area. That being said...when I first started participating on this forum, many of the artists posted what they did to achieve the results on a bead they had posted a picture of. They were open and helpful to anyone with a question on how it was made or any other questions regarding its 'birth'. Not so much anymore in most instances...

Old 2010-11-03, 9:10am
Isinglass Design

I have to agree with scoutycat when she said:

"People's tutorials need to be good enough that people will want them even if they know about the technique - instead, people are trying to sell 'their' technique, and so 'guarding' that technique becomes important. ..... If a tutorial was awesome, there would be no need to feel threatened but someone 'spilling the beans' about how it was done, since it would be either too complicated to share easily, or the benefit of words and pictures wold be so great that no one could capture it in a few sentences."

That said, I do use a couple of techniques that I don't feel like sharing with the world right now. But then, no one has asked me to either!

Laurie
Old 2010-11-03, 2:31pm
geekitude on two wheels

Hey, if you aren't ready to share then that's ok too - we all feel that way, it's hard to have worked on something and then hand it off to someone. There's no sense of you owning the idea (except maybe in your own mind I guess), tho. I mean, if you aren't sharing your particular process, and someone else shares how to do that technique, you can't get very upset about it - obviously, they came up with it themselves. But putting something out there for sale, and then expecting that only ppl who have paid for it will recieve the information, or buying a tutorial an thinking that only a very select few will know about the technique(s) is silly. A tutorial as a way of getting a class that would be otherwise inaccessable is a great idea, and hopefully has enough pics, info & teacher access to be valuable. But, just like a class anything that is shown or shared becomes public info.
Old 2010-11-03, 3:07pm
Mary Lockwood

I don't see how this art/craft is any different from any other.

There are always going to be people who want paid for what they know.

There are always going to be people completely unwilling to share or help anyone else for free.

There are always going to be people who instantly share everything freely.

There are always going to be people willing to pay.

There are always going to be people who pay and then complain about it.

There are always going to be people who refuse to pay. They will either figure it out on their own or they will convince friends to give them for free what their friends paid for.

There will always be people who are willing to pay and then tell everyone everything because they are helping their friends out.

This is the nature of the beast.

None of this will ever change.

Do what you want to do and everyone else will deal with it how they want to deal with it.

As far as classes go, I've taken to charging a flat rate per day. The studio pays me my flat rate for the day and they keep everything else to cover their expenses (which are NOT low) and keep their business operating. Keep in mind, they have to insure your butt, your classmates's butts, their own butt, their studio equipment, their fuel, their oxygen, their glass, their tools, their consumables like bead release and mandrels...etc. The list is endless. And they don't only stay open for your class. They are open lots of hours so you can go buy glass when you want or rent torch time when you want. Classes help fund that stuff.

It took me THREE YEARS to figure out how to make those silly jellyfish. I get $18 for saving YOU time, wasted effort and the glass that goes with it to catch you up. Granted, I'm kinda slow at figuring this stuff out so it might take someone else only a few months to figure it out LOL...but still. I bring you completely up to speed for $18...but that's not enough. You want me to do it for free so that you can what? I don't know.

More to the heart of it, I think, is that most (not all) of the tutorials you are talking about were written by members of this forum so that if someone comes here and starts revealing everything, the author is right here to see it.

If you went to a Bead Bash type of event with a copy of someone's book (which they were trying to sell there), and stood up in front of that crowd and started revealing all the tips/tricks/lessons in the book right in front of the author's booth it would be just as sucky as doing it here on the internet with a digital tutorial.

Would you do that? Heck no. None of us would.
This whole argument is ridiculous.
~~Mary

Old 2010-11-03, 3:09pm
Rose colored glasses…√

So...

who made my cake?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-11-03, 3:20pm
Mary Lockwood

I do 200% agree that the quality has to be high. If you can totally give the technique away in a few sentences, it's not enough. LOL

Old 2010-11-03, 3:38pm

Sheep are dots.

So much for a paid tutorial...

I agree, Mary. Thank you for taking the time for the thought out posts.

I've taken classes, and each time I come away with something that steps my level up a notch, even if it's not specifically why I took the class. I wish there were more in my area, but buying tutorials is a way less expensive, time consuming alternative so I can learn and practice at my own speed and time frame.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-11-03, 5:25pm
geekitude on two wheels

Mary - Some people will be completely open or completely secretive no matter what, certainly, there is always a 'culture' that influences the crowd as a whole to be more open leaning or more secretive. I personally am not interested in figuring out how to make a jellyfish, but for people who just want to know how to do it, and all the annoying things that can go wrong and how to fix them, or how to get details like I'm sure you must include in your tut, 18$ might be a good deal. I haven't seen your tutorial, so I can't share your tech, but I don't want to be accused of stealing your buisness by telling some noob who's asking about jellies how to make a rough jellyfish, or putting a tut in the free tuts section or something.

and, regarding this:
Quote:

More to the heart of it, I think, is that most (not all) of the tutorials you are talking about were written by members of this forum so that if someone comes here and starts revealing everything, the author is right here to see it.

If you went to a Bead Bash type of event with a copy of someone's book (which they were trying to sell there), and stood up in front of that crowd and started revealing all the tips/tricks/lessons in the book right in front of the author's booth it would be just as sucky as doing it here on the internet with a digital tutorial.

Would you do that? Heck no. None of us would.
This whole argument is ridiculous.
~~Mary
Of course I wouldn't stand in front of your booth and reveal all your tips and stuff - but this is not your booth. For many this is their classroom, and sometimes the only one they have available. For probably most, this is where they socialize, share, show off etc. - it is like a living room for e friends. That you have chosen to come and sell your wares somewhere that people have come together to learn about glass working is logical, but we should not stop having discussions about jellies (or whatever) because someone wrote the book on it. Not saying that you are trying to stop anyone, just that ppl feel more uncomfortable sharing info that may be covered in a tut.
Old 2010-11-03, 6:42pm

Well said Jen
Old 2010-11-03, 7:43pm

Who would have guessed that my original question-observation would have generated so much debate, on so many levels? This is great! I think we all need to continue to define the ettiquite (sp) and ethics of both e-teaching, and sharing of information. THAT is the part that was missing hundreds of years ago. We have an open and easy forum for the exchange of ideas, here, and imho, that is PRICELESS!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-11-03, 9:58pm
I'm a lilac!

I think Jen has a really valid point, and it's similar to the point I mentioned earlier... so, for example, I make these encased frit and silver foil beads. This is by no means a proprietary design, I've just been making them for a long time, as have many other people. Now, suppose someone else who has been making them for a long time decides to put out a little tutorial/recipe book on making them. This is cool; I'm sure a lot of people could use detailed step-by-step instructions with clear pictures.

the question, though, is whether I should then feel as comfortable as I previously had, in explaining the method to people. Or, what if I had a series of free tutorials I was working on, and that method was next on my list? At what point to I have to pull back from sharing information that I earned and should be able to share at will?

Here's another scenario:

Say that one day at the Frantz Bash beadmaker A is casually showing beadmaker B a bracelet she made. Beadmaker B says "Wow! That bead is so cool! How did you do that, if you don't mind me asking?" Beadmaker A has no qualms about sharing this technique she came up with, so she tells beadmaker B.

Fast forward five or six years, and beadmaker B has been making their own distinctive and lovely beads with this technique for many years, when the tutorial craze hits, and he decides to write a tutorial on his specific beads. By then he's completely forgotten, as we often do with things like that, who he learned the technique from originally, or even that he didn't come up with it in his own experimentation.

Beadmaker A doesn't have a problem with this, except now she's asking herself... "if I answer questions about how that's done, will it harm my reputation? Will people think I'm giving spoilers for Beadmaker B's tutorial?"

Will the community think less of her for sharing information that is hers to give, on the basis that someone else has put it in a tutorial for sale? Even if the information originated with her, other people don't know that, and it's difficult to prove... plus, she wouldn't want to make beadmaker B look or feel bad. Kind of the way it works is that the first person to put it in print "owns" it, and that puts everyone else in a potentially awkward position in terms of sharing techniques someone has published.

These are just some issues that I think bear discussing, not a condemnation of tutorials.

Old 2010-11-03, 10:29pm
geekitude on two wheels

Totally agree Melodie! And with you as well Kalera - those are exactly the kinds of concerns I have.

Oddly enough, when I've gone to a class or bought a book or dvd, I've never felt particularily concerned about sharing stuff I learned from there. I try to share where I found the info so the person can go chase it down, but that info doesn't always get passed on and I'm sure it isn't always retained. Regardless, no one has ever suggested that perhaps I should keep the details of Corina's book, or Loren's class, or whatever private. There is a sense that there is some intrinsic value in owning the items or having been to the class, and the techs are cool but not all there is. I would still buy the books and stuff I've bought if someone told me how to do everything in it. Why isn't it the same for tuts? Is it because they're usually pretty short and picture heavy, but still cost the same as full fledged books? It makes me wonder if people are disappointed with their tuts, and looking for value somewhere it is not or something. Or maybe that there is a perception that there is not enough info being provided for the price, so the tut needs to be 'protected' to retain it's value. Idk, some seem pretty happy with them so it's hard to say.

This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion, but to me there also seems to be a sense that the writers 'deserve' a certain amt of money for their time and effort, which seems odd to me. Buisness decisions (like publishing) are obviously a risk, and really any time spent may be totally forfeit. Any good buisness person will have made this a calculated risk, and stand to gain considerably while possibly losing instead. It's not the consumer's job to cover expenses, it's the company's job to provide a service or product the customer wants or needs. There is no way I'm ever going to be compensated for the hours it took me to develop my art ideas, process and techniques; I point these things out to customers to educate them so they can appreciate what they're looking at, but if my stuff is ugly and amateur, I'm just SOL. But I hear a lot of ' it took me xxx time to develop this tech, and i took yy pics and wrote some stuff" and honestly it sounds more like attempts to justify rather than explain. I get the feeling that maybe ppl are writing these tuts as an attempt to get quick money to chase their art ( IMHO, anything you can throw together in a few months is quick money - especially if you aren't trained in that field), instead of writing and teaching because that's what they love to do.

Electronic media is incredibly powerful, and incredibly challenging to our previous ways of managing information. Hopefully we can keep having good discussions like this one as we all figure out how to deal with it all

Last edited by scoutycat; 2010-11-03 at 11:15pm.
Old 2010-11-06, 1:23am
offically down under

I love tutorials. But, I do not, for the life of me, understands why someone would try to sell a tutorial that has a "technique" that you can figure out by looking at the photos? Or, sell a tutorial that only after you purchase it, find out that you need super expensive tools to make them.

Sometimes, you might have something that is worth sharing but this does not mean you have to sell it.

Old 2010-11-08, 10:47am
Mary Lockwood

Jen, I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. I really do. And Kalera, you too. I get it.

And this might seem nitpicky, Jen, but I do have to say that I didn't choose to come here just to sell my wares to these people. I've belonged to these online forums, both WC and LE, way before I ever had anything to sell. It's my living room too...and my booth...and my respite...and my glassy family. I give as much as I get; maybe that is why it stings when someone complains about how much they pay for something. You'd think we'd all want to support each others' endeavors not beat down.

I think where I'm coming from is that yes...I do think people should not be blabbing the information they learned from books or classes. How is this fair to the other people who paid $500 for that class? OK, so you are in a class you paid $500 to attend. You learn great stuff, then go back to your glassy peeps at home and share what you learned. How is this fair to Suzy who was sitting next to you in class and paid $500 along with you? Or a book...same thing. I honestly don't see the difference.

And as far as wanting paid for time...isn't that exactly what the teacher in the class or the author of a book is getting paid for? Their time and their knowledge---both of which you still do get in a tutorial. Right? or not? You aren't paying in a class for a body to show up and smile at you. You are paying for what they know and their willingness to teach it to you (time). Yes, a class takes me 8 hours. I don't have to reteach the tutorial every time I sell one, but it took me 2 months to put it together. Even if it didn't take me that much time, you are paying to learn something. If you learn it- you got what you paid for. What is the problem with that?

And yes, I can use one person as an excellent example because I bet the threads are fresh enough to find--Michael Barley's baleen beads. I've seen at least twice over the last two-three years someone post a thread asking how to do the baleen beads. The responses in the thread ranged from 'michael barley teaches classes, here's a link' to 'I hear he is coming out with a tutorial soon, we should find out more'. Nobody who had taken his class before was willing to spill it right there for nothing. That is just one example.

I think maybe one of my problems is that I don't own a lot of other people's tutorials. The ones I've chosen contain a LOT of techniques. They are not just for one single kind of bead. They are substantial and heavy and comprehensive to their subject. It is what I want to buy.

I honestly don't know what to do about the whole uncomfortable sharing thing. I've stepped on toes sharing stuff so I know what it feels like from that end and it wasn't even a for sale trade secret. It was something I was just excited that I knew how to do it and I spit it right out and offended someone. Didn't do it on purpose, but I've always felt funny about it.

I don't want people who figure out how to make jellies on their own to feel bad about sharing it, but I don't want someone who learned it from me blabbing it...and how would I ever know how they came about it? I don't keep track of who buys what...my mind isn't that organized.

I don't know how to fix that, but I don't believe it should be a tutorial issue...I think it should bleed over into classes and books too. Maybe people want to share tutorial info more freely because it didn't cost them as much as a class to get it.

Say there is someone out there in real life, because there are more glass workers NOT online that there are ON it, who is right now sitting in his studio writing a book on making jellyfish beads. More power to him. I will get right in line to buy it because I'm always looking for new tricks just like everybody else. Or even if he's got a website (but doesn't network on forums) and posts it for free...I'll download that bugger, you bet. He invariably teaches differently than I do. I WILL learn something from him and I won't begrudge him at all. I would encourage anyone to do that. Learn from all of us. Soak in as much as you can.

Technique, I don't believe, is ever proprietary. Specific design IS. My jellyfish technique is not proprietary. Offhand glass blowers have been doing it for ages. All I did was shrink it down and apply it to a mandrel for my own uses and that is what makes it sellable to beadmakers. People want to know how to do it the way I do it. I don't feel the least bit bad about selling that in class and tutorial form. It's the business side of my glass work and also another way to pass stuff on to other people and see where it goes.

Crap, this is long...sorry.

But what if I tried to sell a tutorial on stacked dot beads? Are there any of those for sale out there? I wouldn't be able to ever ever expect people to not still share independently a technique that is so common. I think that tutorial would still SELL because people are interested in how specific people do things, and that is great...but for that author to expect nobody to talk about stacked dot beads but them is unrealistic and a little crazy.

People talk about the jellyfish technique all the time and some of them don't even know it.

At this juncture, I should probably just be really glad that I'm not thinking about writing anymore tutorials. LOL It's just not worth the negativity. The ironic thing is that we see these threads from buyers saying how they are getting fleeced, or they feel uncomfortable about it...but the personal feedback I get on the tutorials is positive. I don't mean etsy feedback, lol, I mean what people email me to say.

Where are all the sour grapes coming from? Is this from people buying tutorials that are crappy? ARE there crappy tutorials? Are there tutorials out there for basic things that you can get pretty much anywhere for free? If so---why are you buying them? LOL

If it is that simple, figure it out for yourself or if you are super beginner you can get loads of stuff for free on people's websites, these forums...all over the place.

Bottom line- I don't think people should stop sharing stuff and helping each other. I'm not going to stop. Kalera, YOU know you aren't doing anything wrong and if someone thinks you are you can point to your history. You can't protect everyone. If someone gets their knickers in a twist over something like that, I think it is their problem, not yours.

Go back 5 or 6 years through my posts (or everybody's for that matter) at Wet Canvas and here. Go to my website and see if I've given more away for free than I've ever charged anyone for. Then explain to me how you can begrudge me the cost of tutorials.

If I see a new person or anyone asking for help with a technique that I know is available for free everywhere, and there is also a for-sale tutorial, book or class for it...I'll provide all of it for them to research on their own and decide what they want to do. I've posted or read others' posts about plenty of things in the past that I can just link to...things that pre-date ANY of the tutorials out there.

Someone asks about stacked dots, I can reply with a list of dozens of links to free tutorials, books for sale with that technique in them, and expert dot makers who teach. No problemo.

Someone asks about how to do Baleen beads...I'll point them to Michael Barley's website and his etsy shop and any posts here at LE about baleen beads.

I don't honestly know how else to handle it and not hurt people.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2010-11-08 at 10:53am.
Old 2010-11-08, 11:18am
Experimentalist

IMO, a good tutorial (one I feel was worth what I paid for it) will not be something I read through once. I don't want to buy people's "secrets". I want to learn skills and techniques.

So to me a good tutorial is one that I'm going to refer to more than once. One I will continue to check back with as I progress in my work.

Did that make sense?

I find that the best tutorials are from people who REALLY know their stuff AND (can't emphasize this enough) know how to write.

Sometimes it's not a new technique at all, but merely seeing how an expert does something. And an expert can put enough into a tutorial to make it worth my while, even if it's not a "secret" skill that I'm learning.

Sadly, I've purchased a number of tutorials over the past two years and have been sorely disappointed by most of them (sub-par teaching skills is an understatement).

Having something to say and saying it well are NOT as easy as the majority of people think it is.

There are a few people out there that I've purchased from, however, who totally know what they're doing when it comes to tutorial writing.

Old 2010-11-08, 11:30am

Everyday in classrooms across the world people have paid to learn a new skill, trade, art form, occupation etc. In thousands of bookstores at this very minute someone is purchasing a book on how to do something. Many of those books will in turn be passed onto someone else for them to use. All of us have loaned books to friends, shared a recipe we read somewhere etc. People are constantly sharing information they have read, watched or went to class to learn each and everyday. Who hasn't borrowed a video from a friend to watch? In saying all of this, I doubt seriously if those that are so up in arms over someone sharing their information from their tutorials ever gave thought to their borrowing books or asking to borrow a video or sharing either of those things with friends and family. I bet the thought never crossed their minds they were taking money out of the hands of those that wrote the book or produced the video. It's the very same thing that is being discussed here. Information sharing is not illegal unless you are copying the material and distributing it or selling it. Then, its not illegal unless it is copyrighted. lampwork tutorials are no different. I know many would like to believe that lampwork tutorials are in a league of their own and set their own rules on what is moral ethical and legal. I paid for my lampwork tutorials and I will treat them just like any other media I have purchased be it a book, dvd etc. I will NOT copy and distribute the information, but if I choose to let someone read my tutorial I will with no thoughts to this ludicrous dispute. I love having the opportunity to purchase tutorials when I choose to, but when buying one starts putting limitations on what I can share or say to someone then thats where I draw the line. Play hell if a lampwork tutorial is going to restrict my free speech. Now that I've probably pissed everyone off I'll go back to work
Old 2010-11-08, 12:03pm
Mary Lockwood

Vena, I never said it was illegal, you can do what you want. We all can do what we want, which is what I said in a previous post. We all do what we want and we all need to find ways to deal with how other people go about it.

For some people that would mean not writing tutorials anymore. For some that could mean pulling the ones they've already written from the market. For some it might mean beating you to the punch and releasing everything for free, subsequently making everyone who had ever paid full price REALLY mad.

Trust me, I don't try to fool myself into not thinking more of my tutorials have been passed around for free than have actually been paid for. I'd be really stupid if I believed that. What am I going to do about it? Absolutely nothing.

Have fun.
~~Mary

Old 2010-11-08, 2:36pm

Moth, what I wrote wasn't directed at you. It was just my take on everything I had read. Just wanted you to know I wasn't calling any individual out. We all have our own views, this was just mine. Have a great day
Old 2010-11-08, 2:45pm
Mary Lockwood

Yep, I gotcha.

I don't have to worry about any of this anymore, so you have a great day too!

~~Mary

Old 2010-11-08, 8:52pm
Honey Badger

Quote:
Yep, I gotcha.

I don't have to worry about any of this anymore, so you have a great day too!

~~Mary
MARY MOTH! Damn it, put your tutorials back in your Etsy shop!
I'm way older than you and I'm going to give you some advice you need--so listen up!
You offer good instruction for a fair price, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that; in fact, that is how everyone lives their lives every day.
EVERYONE sells their time and talent--well, everyone that has a job. Artists, too. NEVER let anyone bully or beguile you into thinking that your time and talent are worthless or should be free, because those same people, I promise you, sell their time and talent in one way or another.
You have a wonderful talent and have produced sought-after tutorials that have satisfied many customers. That is a GOOD thing! Just because a few people have a conversation about how nice it would be to get other's knowledge for free, DO NOT let that affect you--do not take it personally. YOU do what is right for you, and in my opinion, that would be to continue to be helpful, thoughtful, and CONTINUE to sell you wonderful tutorials.
Old 2010-11-08, 9:23pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I agree with Lauren!!! 100%...and I am a lot older than you are too, Mary....this is a perfect example of what happens when a few disgruntled people for whatever reason become the loud MINORITY!!! I have chewed my tongue every time someone writes another opinion and especially ones that use the term "people" to describe THEIR point of view. Chapped ASS is not even close to express how this sets me off...how DARE anyone take it upon theirselves to speak for the "people"...they are certainly not speaking for ME!!! Ths thread needs to be burned and buried....it has gone way past its prime...if I were you, I would sell mine at double the price!! or maybe 1/2 price...you decide...but denying anyone buying one of your tutorials is not right. Get that heart off of your sleeve and hand it over for a few days//Lauren and I will take good care of it....
As far as sub-par teaching, I can say with certainty that I have almost bought all of the tutorials...I love to read how other people do things....I have yet to find any "sub-par" teaching...I taught Nursing for over 10 years, I was sited by the State of Virginia and the ANA for excellence, so I think I can have a valid opinion, but I speak for no one but myself. It is time for the quiet majority to speak up!!!
As far as why anyone would try to sell a tutorial with a technique that can easily be seen from a picture??? I am sorry, but even after four years at the torch, it isn't that easy for me! And several times someone has referred to a tutorial that needs expensive tools and I evidently missed buying that one??
Pat
Old 2010-11-08, 9:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondanse View Post
MARY MOTH! Damn it, put your tutorials back in your Etsy shop!
I'm way older than you and I'm going to give you some advice you need--so listen up!
You offer good instruction for a fair price, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that; in fact, that is how everyone lives their lives every day.
EVERYONE sells their time and talent--well, everyone that has a job. Artists, too. NEVER let anyone bully or beguile you into thinking that your time and talent are worthless or should be free, because those same people, I promise you, sell their time and talent in one way or another.
You have a wonderful talent and have produced sought-after tutorials that have satisfied many customers. That is a GOOD thing! Just because a few people have a conversation about how nice it would be to get other's knowledge for free, DO NOT let that affect you--do not take it personally. YOU do what is right for you, and in my opinion, that would be to continue to be helpful, thoughtful, and CONTINUE to sell you wonderful tutorials.
W.O.R.D.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-08, 9:45pm
Experimentalist

Since I'm the one who mentioned "sub-par" writing, let me make it clear that I'm not even a lampworker... the tutorials I've purchased had nothing to do with lampworking.

I can't take back what I said because at least half of the tutorials I've purchased over the past five years have been poorly written.

But keep in mind I also said I've recieved many very well written tutorials. If someone is consistently selling their tutorial and getting great feedback, odds are they are one of the ones who CAN write well.

After I saw Mary's post, I went to her Etsy site and saw how very many tutorials she's sold (one indication that she's probably a good tutorial writer... word of mouth works in this industry) and then looking at all the positive feedback... wow! Mary should feel very proud of her ability to help so many with her tutorials.

Don't really know all the little nuances of this thread... I think each person has to feel comfortable with what they sell, trade, give-away, stipulate, request, etc.

And the person who said "voiced opinions in a thread on a forum can very well be a small minority" is right on. I've seen many make business decisions based on the opinions of a few vocal people. Eek!

Old 2010-11-08, 10:17pm
geekitude on two wheels

Quote:

I think where I'm coming from is that yes...I do think people should not be blabbing the information they learned from books or classes. How is this fair to the other people who paid $500 for that class? OK, so you are in a class you paid $500 to attend. You learn great stuff, then go back to your glassy peeps at home and share what you learned. How is this fair to Suzy who was sitting next to you in class and paid $500 along with you? Or a book...same thing. I honestly don't see the difference.

When I pay for a class, I am paying (hopefully) for the in depth knowledge and access to the teacher as well as learning new techniques. Usually, if I take a class or buy a book, it's in something that I've hit a dead end on and can't figure out how to proceed. Having a real live person demo & answer my questions is invaluable, and there is no way that my 10 min summary should be able to cover that info. I'm not buying secrets, I'm buying information and guidance. A book or dvd are similar - a good one will be one I revisit, and refer to often. I don't feel that sharing that info devalues anything - there is no way I could share the information as well or as completely as a book or class. And if I can it was a waste of money, frankly.

I really don't begrudge anyone making money pretty much anyway they can, as long as it doesn't hurt/take advantage of anyone, so I hope no one is taking my comments as anti-tutorial. I can think what I want about tutorials and their value, and excercise my right to not buy them. It does seem lately that anyone who got asked 3 times how to do that xxxxx thing writes a tutorial and charges 28$ for it, which seems to be devaluing tuts in general and breeding discontent. People expect to learn more than how to make a frit bead (or whatever) for 28$, and are justifiably disappointed when that's what they get. I'm sure some are very good, but there is no quality control (usually provided by a publisher or institution of some sort), and it seems it's hurting everyone - buyers and writers alike.

Last edited by scoutycat; 2010-11-08 at 10:20pm.