Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-05-20, 2:50pm

Default Expanding my studio - come along

I love reading this thread - I learn so much and I love to see where everyone else creates their magic. So as I remodel and expand my little space I thought I'd share my journey - for those who would like to follow along - Here we go:

This shed was my studio ( the front part with the windows) and where the doors are open was my storage shed for all of our yard stuff and wood pellets, and the hubby's junk.

But I kicked my hubby and all of the junk out and decided to bust out the wall separating the two areas (I actually made him do the work)

So I am going from 8 x 14 - and adding an additional 12 x 16 - woo hoo! I have lots to do and not enough time to do it - I plan on working an hour or so each night after work and hopefully I can get some work done on the weekends. Wish me luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-20, 3:03pm
dances with ideas...

Wow, you lucky duck! I too love reading these threads. Hope the remodeling goes smoothly!

Old 2013-05-20, 3:36pm
Loving learning

Awesome!
Old 2013-05-20, 4:38pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

OMG ... that space will be fabulous!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-05-20, 7:41pm
grama punky - class junky

How nice! Will be fun to watch the progress

Old 2013-05-23, 4:54pm

So I decided to take a few days off work and focus on the studio remodel. The section that I had been working in before now was ready to be tiled - just needed a little cleaning. I was able to get quite a bit done today. The only thing left is around the edges and I just got the tile cutter so that will be tomorrow.

The additional space needed a bit more work. The floor had to be insulated due to our winters here in Maine. Then I had to put down some cement board. I actually cut it all myself

I will be putting down more tile tomorrow, hopefully I get it all done.....wish me luck as I am VERY sore right now! Sucks getting old.

Old 2013-05-24, 3:21pm
They see me rollin'...

Wow, that's going to be VERY nice when you're done! What a great space!

What is the cement board for? Just wondering...I am going to tile my floor too. It's already insulated.

Looks great!
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-05-24, 5:51pm

You're in Maine???? Do we know each other? Do you ever hang out in Rockland in my favorite of favorite places????

Where in Maine, btw????

Sue-- in Bucksport!!!

PS Love your studio.
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-05-25, 7:20am

Sue, I don't hang out in Rockland, as beautiful as it is - or Bucksport But I live in Montville and work in Belfast....don't think we know each other .... I don't know any lampworkers around here. I hibernate in my studio when I am not at work or tending to the family. Trying to get this studio sheet rocked in the rain is going to be impossible, since I don't have it yet - lol

Patti I used the cement board because my floor was uneven from storing 3 tons of wood pellets - so this helps to smooth out a rough of slightly uneven floor.

I have all of the tiles down and will grout it today - on yet another rainy day in Maine, may have to turn on the heat out there .....grrrrrrrr!

Old 2013-05-31, 3:13am

All of the tiles are down and I have almost finished the insulation. Taking a break for the weekend - sheet rock is next

Old 2013-06-06, 11:06am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Glassy View Post
All of the tiles are down and I have almost finished the insulation. Taking a break for the weekend - sheet rock is next
Pictures!!!

Old 2013-06-09, 5:36pm

I will take some tomorrow and post.....promise

Old 2013-06-10, 9:57am
Curmudgeon Engineering

The cement board is recommended for an underlayment for tile. The tile sticks to it better and it makes evening out the floor much easier.
Old 2013-06-10, 4:42pm

Lightbulb

Ok..... so I promised to show photos (can't believe I am going to show this mess) But here goes.

I have closed in the eves to keep out the critters in the winter, finished the tiles in both sections, insulated all of the walls, but I ran short to finish the ceiling - go figure.

So I go to the local hardware store to get more insulation and they gave me unfaced insulation (no paper backing). I will have to go back tomorrow.

I have decided to be lazy and not use sheet rock on the ceiling, I am using bead board instead

I made my husband run me 10 outlets in the shed that I am insulating now - and 3 plugs in the ceiling for my new shop lights.

I want to say that the floor tiles were given to me - they were left over from several different jobs so they were very random to say the least. I had my son help make a random pattern with them and I think it came out ok..... It will look better once I mop it.

I will keep the pics coming.

Old 2013-06-10, 5:45pm
Wonder-wench

I really like the random tiles, it looks great!

Old 2013-06-10, 5:55pm
dances with ideas...

I think the tiles are great, in every respect! And 10 outlets--woo-hoo!!!

Old 2013-06-13, 9:22am

Looking great! I like the floor with the way your design came out!
Old 2013-06-13, 10:50am
Practicing perfect

OMG! What a fantastic space. One can only wish! One of these days. Big sigh.....

Old 2013-06-13, 12:26pm
Somewhat out there!

Wonderful. Lucky you.

Julianne
Old 2013-06-15, 4:35am

Progress Update: I have all of the insulation up - some of the ceiling is finished and the walls are coming along nicely..... but of course not fast enough. My goal is to have it finished this weekend (one can only dream) I am now kicking myself for installing 10 outlets - I have to cut them out of each sheet GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 2013-06-15, 2:54pm
dances with ideas...

In the long run I bet you'll be happy you have all those outlets! How exciting to be closing in on the goal!!

Old 2013-06-15, 5:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Shortcut for cutting them out - take an old lipstick and rub it over the face of the outlets - push the sheetrock up against the wall and voila - it will have an outline of the outlets on the back and can cut the correct size box out.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-06-15, 5:36pm

Squid - that is a GREAT idea. I said something similar and my husband looked at me like I had 3 heads - lol...... and then he made me measure them BUT - great minds think alike.

So all but one wall is done in the larger part of the shed. And go figure it is fathers day tomorrow - grrrrrr...... so now I will feel guilty making my hubby work. Maybe if I sit with a pout on my face he will feel pity and work for me

My son and I made what is hopefully our last trip to the hardware store tonight......but I am sure I forgot something.......

Old 2013-06-20, 3:59pm

Just a sneak peak at the progress. The walls are going to be FUN - yes I said FUN walls - lol. The walls are covered in panels made out of the same material as a DRY ERASE board. I can't keep the kids, or my hubby from drawing on them.

My 12 year old son has been helping me with the trim - and we are not as close to being done as I would like but I have been under the weather this week, so progress after work has been slow. Hopefully my hubby will finish the walls in the front of the studio this weekend and by the middle of next week I will be building the benches.....so excited!!!

Old 2013-06-24, 9:28am
Somewhat out there!

Looking good

Julianne
Old 2013-07-04, 4:28am

Making progress - I have the benches built!!

Old 2013-07-04, 7:50am
Mr Brutus RIP

Looks Fantastic!! LOVE the floor!!

Old 2013-07-04, 10:38am
Wonder-wench

drooling with envy! love the bench space

Old 2013-07-04, 5:43pm

Thank you! I was able to get one coat of polyurethane on the benches today....it was 90 degrees, hazy hot and humid here in Maine. I HATE the heat so I spent the day organizing my goodies that I have been storing in my house.

Old 2013-07-08, 12:00pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Wow, what an amazing space! The floors, the benches, all the outlets... just perfect!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/