Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-07-24, 12:30pm

Default Frantz frustration

Early Tuesday morning I went online to order a set of flashback/quick connectors because I was hoping that I might be able to get my torch hooked up this week-end. I knew that I should have ordered them earlier - so I agreed to pay the large extra postage fee for fast shipping. In the note I stated that I needed them ASAP.

I received a confirmation message at about 7:30 AM on Tuesday with a five digit confirmation number.

I kept expecting to see a delivery and it finally occured to me today that I never received any shipping info...so I called them today [Friday] - first she can't find my order, and needs to call me back. When she calls back she says that they are waiting for a response to an email they sent me. I go back and check my emails: in box - nothing, junk mail - nothing. So she sends me a test message to see if it goes through.

The message comes through with only her name - doesn't say Frantz anywhere until I open it. I only opened it because I was expecting it.

So...then I go back into my deleted email folder, [which still had about a weeks worth of deleted stuff in it] and I see an email that has an attachment, a name I've never heard, and a message "Sales Quote - six digit number [totally different than the earlier number]. I had dumped the email - I don't open emails with attachments from strangers - only after I opened it today could I see that it was from someone at Frantz.

So tell me - would you have opened that email?

I suggest that the name Frantz appear in the heading - not just "sales quote" with a random number

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Last edited by wendybritt; 2009-07-24 at 12:33pm.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:43pm

I would have done the same as you! I NEVER open email from someone I don't know, I push it all into spam especially if it has an attavhment.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

I would have done that too.

I have a friend who sends emails all the time with <no subject> in the subject. Drives me crazy, my filters always try to delete his posts.

Emails from Frantz should have Frantz as the sender, easy to ID. Weird that they wouldn't have it set up that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:58pm

I got an email from a Frantz employee about an order recently, too. I wasn't sure if it was from Frantz, some other order I placed, something for my husband or spam/phishing. I did open it with the intent of finding out who it was from, but I was also intent on being careful not to click on anything but the delete button if it was something I didn't recognize.

I strongly feel that it would be in their best interest if they would create Frantz business email accounts for employees that are expected to be contacting customers. Love doing business with them... but I could see this potentially being a pain in the ass for them AND their customers if they don't figure something else out. Why not eliminate the potential for disaster (minimal or not) before it becomes a problem?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-24, 2:14pm
Spoiled

I wouldn't have opened it either.

And when you didn't respond back in a day or so, she should have called you because you obviously wanted it as a rush.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2009-07-24, 7:57pm

That's a shame you couldn't get set up right away!

I ordered from Frantz on the 20th. The email had an attachment but the From was "Firstname Lastname - Frantz Art Glass", subject "Sales Order XXXXX"...

I wonder if everyone has to set up their own email account settings & some didn't do it right. I had to do this for a job I had we I was a freelancer but had to use the company's email. I set it up wrong. But I was told right away.
Old 2009-07-24, 8:02pm
Storm Queen

Every time I get an email for my order from them it comes as "so&so@frantzartglass"

Old 2009-07-25, 4:10am

Same here! when I have emailed them with a question I have always received a response (it may take up to a couple of days...for me , at least) and it has always given a name@Frantzartglass.

As for opening strange emails, They're automatically pushed into my spam folder! I've had friends ask me why I hadn't returned emails before...I've had to tell them to put their name in the subject!

Duane

Quote:
Every time I get an email for my order from them it comes as "so&so@frantzartglass"

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-07-25, 5:25am

Those of you that get the full address...i.e. "soandso"@frantzglass.com in the email listing - are you using Outlook? My Outlook [Microsoft 2007] just gives me the "soandso", I have to open it to get the full address - don't know whether this is standard for Outlook...or if it is a setting that can be changed. I know that with my old computer I would get the whole thing...

Old 2009-07-25, 5:34am

I found the following in someones rant about what they didn't like about Outlook:

"Always takes extra clicks to see an actual email address.
Only names are ever shown in the normal interface. You must click and open a properties dialog to see the actual email address. Makes it a pain to see what company someone is with, or what email they sent from (company or private?), or to tell spammers from similar named contact"

Old 2009-07-25, 5:45am

That is why I dumped Outlook for my personal email back in 1998. I used Eudora at first and then switched to The Bat around 2004 or so.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-25, 6:43am
looking for work

this same thing just happened to me this week too. There was formatting in the email too so you couldn't really read the email properly. The only reason I didn't delete it, was because one of the words that popped out to me was a glass brand.
I must say, that I have NEVER had a complaint about ordering with Frantz before this week, and I am still waiting on the order so I am sure it will be fine, but this was a PITA. One of the problems was on my end, then i had my hubby call to add something I forgot (which hasn't been added to the email invoice), I hope they remembered to add it as, it was a small thing I am not going to pay for shipping on by itself but something I really needed.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
James Thurber

Old 2009-07-25, 8:31am

Quote:
this same thing just happened to me this week too. There was formatting in the email too so you couldn't really read the email properly. The only reason I didn't delete it, was because one of the words that popped out to me was a glass brand.
I must say, that I have NEVER had a complaint about ordering with Frantz before this week, and I am still waiting on the order so I am sure it will be fine, but this was a PITA. One of the problems was on my end, then i had my hubby call to add something I forgot (which hasn't been added to the email invoice), I hope they remembered to add it as, it was a small thing I am not going to pay for shipping on by itself but something I really needed.

You don't have to. Shipping is free again this weekend.
Old 2009-07-25, 8:51am

I use the Preview Pane in Outlook 07. That way I can see who it's from without actually opening it and delete it if necessary. I use that function at work, too.

Old 2009-07-25, 9:56am

Quote:
I use the Preview Pane in Outlook 07. That way I can see who it's from without actually opening it and delete it if necessary. I use that function at work, too.
I do the exact same thing. Works great.

That said, I also noticed that the latest ad-email from Keith at Frantz had has his name appeared on the email as: Keith Hobbs Frantz Art Glass. That is the smart thing to do.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-07-25, 9:57am

Quote:
Those of you that get the full address...i.e. "soandso"@frantzglass.com in the email listing - are you using Outlook? My Outlook [Microsoft 2007] just gives me the "soandso", I have to open it to get the full address - don't know whether this is standard for Outlook...or if it is a setting that can be changed. I know that with my old computer I would get the whole thing...
I'm using Outlook as well & mine doesn't give me the whole address it just gives me, was I said above, from field "Firstname Lastname - Frantz Art Glass". I wonder if your field is too small to list the second part. Try to make your "from" field larger. Or again, maybe this particular person has their email set up wrong.
Old 2009-07-25, 12:34pm

I checked with DH again about why he recommended turning off the preview pane...he said that in the past there was a risk of malicious code that could execute by just opening the preview page. He is an IT consultant, but he doesn't use Outlook and does not know if this is still an issue - so he always recommends leaving the preview pane off.

Since I am definately NOT a computer whiz, I usually just do what he says. I will probably need to look into it when I get some time.

Last edited by wendybritt; 2009-07-26 at 1:42pm.
Old 2009-07-28, 5:22pm
Cali4nia baby

Microsoft is engineered to need security and upgrades on a regular basis to suck your money eternally - you are at their mercy. I have had mac for years and have no problems with hacking (they can't do it), security or mail stuff like this. Get a Mac you will NEVER regret it !
Old 2009-07-28, 5:53pm
Cali4nia baby

Microsoft is engineered to need security and upgrades on a regular basis to suck your money eternally - you are at their mercy. Only microsoft produces computers that can be hacked. I have had mac for years and have no problems with hacking (they can't do it), security or mail stuff like this. Get a Mac you will NEVER regret it !
Old 2009-07-28, 8:18pm

Still don't have my flashback arrestors. She told me on the phone on Friday that they would cover the cost for the upgraded shipping, and that I should have them Monday [yesterday]. Hasn't shown up yet. Looks like they are sending it priority mail. I just checked the shipping info again [10:00 PM tuesday night] and there is no information...just this:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on July 27, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later"

It's not the end of the world...and there was nothing malicious done. I know that stuff happens, but when it does it's just frustrating. I will be setting my torch up on Thursday evening...if the flashback arrestors aren't here, I'll just add them later.

Last edited by wendybritt; 2009-07-28 at 8:25pm.
Old 2009-07-29, 12:48am
a pox upon an idiot :..

It's not really necessary to use the flashback arrestors with a surface mix torch and you can grab the quick connects from Home Depot or a similar store in case they don't come tomorrow and you want to torch.
Old 2009-07-29, 7:12am

Quote:
I checked with DH again about why he recommended turning off the preview pane...he said that in the past there was a risk of malicious code that could execute by just opening the preview page. He is an IT consultant, but he doesn't use Outlook and does not know if this is still an issue - so he always recommends leaving the preview pane off.

Since I am definately NOT a computer whiz, I usually just do what he says. I will probably need to look into it when I get some time.
He's correct, the preview pane does put your PC at risk. Even though you didn't click the message to open it, the programs itself still opens it. If you can see the context it's opened. Think of it as a letter, don't really know what it says until you crack the envelope.
Old 2009-07-29, 8:03am

Thunderbird is a great alternative to MS Outlook. & its free.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-29, 4:12pm

Got my package today

DH uses Mozilla [I think....] I will talk with him about what he recommends. I kind of hate to change...I've used Outlook forever, at work and home both, so it feels "familiar".