No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-13, 1:49am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default Striking glass equals Mud?

I was so looking forward to getting some Sriking glass and reading all the LE'rs
rave aqbout it. Finally got some and all I get is pure mudified colors yuck.
I have turned down the gas andturned up the oxy but still mud again. Yes it does strike in variations but where are all the pretty colors gone too???
Could use some hints please

Thanks Katja
Old 2010-01-13, 2:32am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Katja - welches Glas meinst Du? Sprichst Du von einer Glassorte von StrikingColor (dem Firmenname) oder ein anderes Glas (z.B. Double Helix, TAG, Precision usw.) das striked?
Wenn Du uns den Namen des Glasses nennst, koennen wir Dir bessere Tips geben, was vielleicht falsch gelaufen ist.

Katja - which glass are we talking about? Do you mean one of the StrikingColor (name of the company) glass colors or a striking glass color from any of the other vendors (Double Helix, Tag, Precision etc.)?
If you can tell us the name of the glass color, we could give you better pointers what the problem might be.

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2010-01-13 at 9:02am.
Old 2010-01-13, 9:07am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

sounds like you are not getting the glass hot enough or letting it cool enough to strike properly after the strike.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-14, 12:33pm

What Squid said. These often take a high heat bath to 'activate' them -- but glass is a very good insulator, so it does not shed heat as fast as you would think.

Get it to white hot, and then cool it until it has NO GLOW WHATSOEVER. If it then blushes amber, you are ready to start lightly striking in the back of your flame. These are very generalized guidelines, and Judith's question about the brand will help, since some of these work slightly differently than others.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-01-18, 3:49pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

These were untagged Striking Color glass from the person that makes it. But I will try the high heat again.
Danke Judith, thanks Squiddly,and Jenny

Katja
Old 2010-01-18, 5:19pm

Katja, as your glass cools, it should turn a dark red-brown color. This is what will bloom into the purples, reds, blues etc when you go to strike the glass. Also, don't have the flame too hot when building the bead. If the glass is too hot, it may be striking as you make the bead and then can overstrike and turn muddy later. If you do overstrike the glass and get muddy colors, heat the glass to clear, cool and try and strike again.
Hope this helps.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:33pm
da General

Katja, I have some information on my blog under the label silver glass 101 on striking silver glass that may help, including tutorials.

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/2009/...ver-glass.html

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/2009/...-glass_03.html

|
|
|
|