Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2007-07-28, 2:15pm

Default I'm changing my domain Host, any suggestions?

I've had globat for past 3 years but want to change for several reasons.

Does anyone know of a hosting service that uses frontpage, is priced reasonable, and has good account support? I hate not being able to talk with someone when I have billing or technical questions!!!
Thanks,
Darlene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-28, 2:20pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Godaddy.com, cheap and have great customer service.

Old 2007-07-28, 3:36pm
Dildo Kween!

On a side line to GoDaddy.... one of their affiliates is called fuzzymonkey.net WOW you get so many free things with the domain including a shopping cart and a chat room among others. The Fuzzy Monkey's owner is Erin Spiceland and she seems to be very adorable, cheerful and will bend over backwards for you, and answers all questions promptly. ANd the domain is registered with GoDaddy so you get all of their packages too Anyways - that's my 2 cents worth.
Good luck
Heidi

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2007-07-28, 4:36pm

Thank you both....I do have my domains parked with godaddy. I'll check out fussy monkey and godaddy.
I wasn't sure if I could use frontpage with godaddy! I should call them and check

Old 2007-07-28, 6:15pm

Dreamhost has been awesome for me so far! & they have strong reviews

: Friendly site for reserving spots in Group Magazine Ads.
Connect with me:

Old 2007-07-29, 12:30pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yes Darlene, you can use frontpage with Godaddy. I use frontpage to edit my pages. Off to check out Fuzzymonkey now.

Old 2007-07-29, 12:33pm

godaddy is cheap, but i don't like there control panel
Old 2007-07-29, 1:00pm

I have used DrakNet http://www.drak.net since 1999 for my primary site and client sites. I have tried a few other hosts in the past for other sites, but have moved all my sites to Drak for the last several years. I currently have a reseller account with them, but they have very reasonable rates on standard hosting packages.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-07-29, 1:16pm
beads....mmmm

ditto for dreamhost....lovely.
Old 2007-07-29, 3:07pm
Dildo Kween!

booo-hissss to Frontpage tho! You can tell a website that is made with it because of all the errors.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2007-08-01, 12:37am

Hi, I'm a new member and am also in the process of wanting to get a web site up and running. I have noticed a lot of people using papashop .... got any comments? What exactly should I look for in a host. I need help with designing as well, though I do have some ideas as to what I need. Info as in charges for credit card, paypal use? I want to be able to post my own pics and make changes or additions my self. What are reasonable costs per month? Sorry I'm so long winded but have gone round and round about a site but really need some advice from people in the know and that is you guys. Thanks for taking time to reply, I know you're all busy.
Old 2007-08-07, 5:34pm
It's all about art.

www.Readyhosting.com is $99 a year. It has a ftp system that you can choose your file and upload pretty easily.

I don't have experience with anything else so I can't compare it to any of the above hosts. But I never had a problem with FP either, I know there are better programs but it is easy to use.

Old 2007-08-07, 9:08pm
UIC

I recommend StartLogic. They're well-priced, and have great customer service!

Old 2007-08-15, 1:27pm
ManBearPig

www.1and1.com

Look no further.

Old 2007-08-15, 9:11pm
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi von Frozenfyre View Post
booo-hissss to Frontpage tho! You can tell a website that is made with it because of all the errors.
Yep, FrontPage puts a bunch of extra code in, all Microsoft stuff and bloats the hell out of the page as well. Frankly, it's one of the crudiest WYSIWYG editors. But as long as you like it and it works for ya, pay no attention to me, I'm just a code monkey .
Old 2007-08-16, 8:03am
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadnmama View Post
Hi, I'm a new member and am also in the process of wanting to get a web site up and running. I have noticed a lot of people using papashop .... got any comments? What exactly should I look for in a host. I need help with designing as well, though I do have some ideas as to what I need. Info as in charges for credit card, paypal use? I want to be able to post my own pics and make changes or additions my self. What are reasonable costs per month? Sorry I'm so long winded but have gone round and round about a site but really need some advice from people in the know and that is you guys. Thanks for taking time to reply, I know you're all busy.
I use Pappashop and like them a lot. I haven't always had my questions answered very well but it has always pretty much got worked out. I would stay with them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-08-16, 9:53am
Meow.

I use Pappashop too...it's easy for folks like me who have enough to learn already. At first I was convinced I'd have no problem learning the fancy stuff and creating my own website -- well, then I found that 18 months went by and I hadn't even started.

My site was not designed by Pappashop, or their affiliates -- so that's an option too. although, I've seen several cute Pappashop designed sites too.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-08-16, 7:31pm

I use Pappashop. They have been excellent to work with. First, I used their templates to set up my site. I had all the help needed to get started. Later, I had someone design a custom site for me and we were able to keep Pappashop as the host. Their prices are very reasonable and I feel that they have gone the extra mile whenever there was a problem to solve. They have also been very helpful making referrals for other services that I needed, such as getting set up to take credit cards.

Blog:
Old 2007-08-30, 1:34am
disco granola punk

I had a dedicated server with 1and1.com and it was down constantly. I finally washed my hands of them, with great relief.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2007-08-30, 11:36am

I just changed to hardhathosting.com. They are in Kansas City and they answer the telephone. Plus they work with X-Cart!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-30, 12:22pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahawk View Post
I had a dedicated server with 1and1.com and it was down constantly. I finally washed my hands of them, with great relief.
You're the first one that I have heard that has had a problem. We have four of our sites with them, and close to 75 customer sites with them. Some for up to 5 years running. Never had any of them go down for more than a few minutes.

Old 2007-09-07, 10:34pm
Bead Maker / Instructor

I highly recommend Camelot Hosting. I run a couple of e-stores and numerous informational sites through them and have only good things to say.

Tim
Old 2007-09-08, 9:39pm

Well I"m scrapping X-cart and now looking at Pappa and GoDad.
I am too simple for X-Cart!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-09-10, 4:37pm

Well after an intensive weekend of research I ended up at Camelot Hosting and am going to try my hand at Zen Cart. Camelot installed it for me and they work weekends. That was a big thing for me because that's when I get almost everything done. I did call Godaddy and the salesman knew less about The shopping cart than I did. Not a good sign.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-09-12, 7:23am
Modern Renaissance Man

I have been using godaddy for eight years. They are the largest registrars for domains and is one of the largest hosting companies in the world. If 24/7 customer service means anything to you you need to use godaddy...Goddaddy has many employees that are being trained to take calls..they may not have all the answers but if you ask the right questions you will get answers...if a customer service tech does not know the answer they will up the call level to a senior tech.

My Basic opinion...if your willing to spend as much time on you glasswork as you are on your web site then by all means do it! You will save much money. However if you not willing to spend the time, hire someone to design you web site, so you can do what you do best...make beads!

There are many mistakes that people make when designing web sites. Large picture files is the main culprit. Pictures that are not properly resized to be web safe will kill a site in a heart beat. Improper use of Fonts...not every machine has the same font sets as you do..

As for frontpage...Do not belive all that you hear about frontpage "adding stuff" as for the hard code guru's out there they know what they are doing however most of those site are very dull and lack good design qualities. WYSIWYG is exactly what is means...however even in Dreamweaver you will get stuff that is not where you put it on your layout!

Frontpage is a great editor...once you get the hang of it you can wiz right thru pages...just get your paragraph formats correct and also make use of tables and try not to use frames if your concerned with rankings...

Char!

Old 2007-09-23, 10:29pm

I'm really happy witht he help I got from Camelot. I am up and running! Yippee!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !