Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-11, 11:26am

Default Folded beads?

I saw a picture of an ancient glass bead in a polymer clay book. They called it a "folded bead" and gave directions on how to make it in poly clay*. The poly bead had nice symmetrical curves and loops, and was actually more attractive than the old glass bead, but I prefer glass...

I'd never heard of them before; does anyone know more about these beads?

*the poly clay method: form a striped cane into a circle, pinch at 1/3 marks, twist between the pinches. Squeeze the circle into a triangle, then into 3 legs. Fold the legs up and roll into a ball.
Old 2013-07-11, 12:14pm

Tom and Sage Holland and Beau Anderson teach this technique. I've had several classes with Sage and Beau and have been taught the folded bead. You can probably google their names along with folded bead and find more pictures.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2013-07-11, 5:50pm

I learned a little about it last summer. I think it used two mandrels, but I can't remember much more.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-07-11, 5:57pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I saw a picture of an ancient glass bead in a polymer clay book. They called it a "folded bead" and gave directions on how to make it in poly clay*. The poly bead had nice symmetrical curves and loops, and was actually more attractive than the old glass bead, but I prefer glass...

I'd never heard of them before; does anyone know more about these beads?

*the poly clay method: form a striped cane into a circle, pinch at 1/3 marks, twist between the pinches. Squeeze the circle into a triangle, then into 3 legs. Fold the legs up and roll into a ball.
Pic?

Old 2013-07-11, 6:13pm

This link shows the steps. Make a tube/disc in middle of tube/then coax the disc into shape.

http://www.ornamentmagazine.com/back...s_294_2006.php

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-07-11, 6:34pm

http://hogtalismans.blogspot.com/201...m-holland.html

This link has another image of a folded bead and gives some info on Tom. He gives a fascinating lecture on ancient beads. If you ever have the chance to hear him speak, don't miss out.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2013-07-11, 10:36pm
Naysayer

To me this reads as a math word problem...whaaaaaa?

Dott I don't see any links? For the issue you mean?

there's this
http://www.timelessbeads.net/islamic_folded.htm
Old 2013-07-12, 7:51am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for posting the links. What a very cool process and beads ! I had heard of folded beads before but never researched it and had an entirely different concept as to what they were.

Old 2013-07-12, 8:32am
Storm Queen

Huh. I don't care for the final look but I do like it a lot before it's flattened.

Old 2013-07-12, 9:03am

There are multiple styles of this bead. It is one of my favorites!! I learned the Tom Holland style from a friend, but OMG I want to take a class with him.
I also did a research project of two fold beads based on a necklace in the Met. Here is a picture of the single fold beads and the necklace I made based on those beads.
Metropolitan Museum image

My necklace

It is a lot of fun. If you want to make the single fold beads, let me know. I wrote a tutorial for them and will send it for free to anyone that wants it. Disclaimer!! I am not a professional writer and this was my first tutorial and it was written for a class I taught at a medieval recreation event. LOL
Old 2013-07-12, 10:40am
Dianne Gleaton

Default Tutorial

Is this for glass? If so I would love it! Tia, Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
There are multiple styles of this bead. It is one of my favorites!! I learned the Tom Holland style from a friend, but OMG I want to take a class with him.
I also did a research project of two fold beads based on a necklace in the Met. Here is a picture of the single fold beads and the necklace I made based on those beads.
Metropolitan Museum image

My necklace

It is a lot of fun. If you want to make the single fold beads, let me know. I wrote a tutorial for them and will send it for free to anyone that wants it. Disclaimer!! I am not a professional writer and this was my first tutorial and it was written for a class I taught at a medieval recreation event. LOL
Old 2013-07-12, 12:02pm

It is for glass! PM me your email and I will send it to you. I don't know how to post Pdf's here. LOL!
Bea