LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-12-11, 9:50am

One more question. I've tried using Bora Bora several times. It either turns brown (on ivory or white) or it turns a bit green and brown when encased with clear and mixed with silver (on a clear base). Does anyone have a trick to making this frit look really good? I tried to encase it once with a vary pale yellow and it must have mixed with it because the bead came out all cloudy and bright yellow. I didn't use silver with it that time. I couldn't even see through the cloudiness of the encasing to see what was supposed to be underneath. I'd love to know how to use this frit.
Old 2005-12-11, 12:09pm
Cheerfully Profane

Hey Rachel! With silver, you get lots of browns and greens and if you roll it in the z-99 again, it's so yummy you could eat it.

I have my own lil thing that I like to do with it, but it's a secret! Shhh! LOL
www.fronthallglass.com

Rebekah
Old 2005-12-11, 1:47pm
all for the love of glass

Rachel..'festival of light' is from Spiral Dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2005-12-11, 3:24pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Rachel, try Boro Bora on transparent bases. Seems to be my most popular bead right now, as my customers like that it has browns and greens it the finished beads. Perfect for fall and winter colors.
Oh and I didn't add silver, a odd thing for me,

Speaking of which Ii need more, as I am out right now, off to see if Val has any up I can buy I need it like last week. More orders and I am out of frit, this is never a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-12, 4:29am

oh my heavens too much wonderful info i am going to have to read this thread several times..i have worked with alot of glass diversions and i absolutely love the hawaiian sunset (i'm so thrilled i can't get the spelling right) i also bought party favors from gg glass and i love it..gotta go read the thread again..thx for the info when i get more efficient at this forum i'll learn how to attach pictures..thx again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2005-12-12, 5:24am

Could I use these frits on Moretti/Efettere glass? I normally make my own frits for moretti because of the compatiblity factor.
Old 2005-12-12, 7:30am
Ad astra per aspera

You can use them **sparingly** on Moretti in one of two ways...1) Make a small base bead, roll in 1 or 2 layers of frit, melt in or not, and encase heavily in the same glass (compatibility-wise) as your base glass....Moretti with Moretti, Vetrofond with Vetrofond, etc. I find that this minimizes compatibility problems. 2) Make a bead and put the frit on the surface, again 1 or 2 layers only, and melt in to whatever extent you wish. What seems to work best with encasing is having enough "contact points" for the base and encasing glass to touch. If you have a solid layer, no matter how thin, of frit between the base and encasing, the likelihood of cracking is MUCH higher. Same with frit on the surface...the base glass needs space to peek through.

I love ALL the frits, it's a terrible disease. My favorites of the moment are:

Spiral Dance: Copper Penny, Pomegranate, Ring of Fire

GG Glass: Impressions, Bejewelled, Mountain Vista

Val Cox: Cherry Blossom, Ocelot Spots, Silver Lake, Mood Swing and wayyyy too many more.