Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-20, 5:23pm
Contessa Glass

Default All my violets turn silver...why?

Hi, I need some help. I'm working in moretti and I've gone through a bunch of violets and they're all turning silver or "shades" of violet and silver. Its a cool effect, but I really just want a nice medium to light pastel violet to put over a transparent ink blue or even amethyst. I tried violet, new violet, lavender (not even close), pastel lavender blue, bright violet, new plum and about 3 others and they're not right. Am I burning the heck out of them or something? or Is there something in vetro or lauscha I could try that won't turn silver?

I'm posting a pic of what's happening. I'm hoping someone can help...Thanks.

Through great effort and hard work, a precious dream comes true

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-20, 5:25pm
Does it come in Purple???

You are working in a reducing atmosphere. But as a rule it tends to do that no matter what (at least around the edges) for me.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-07-20, 5:27pm
"Sinners have soul too"

It looks like you're using a reduction flame (high propane).

Old 2006-07-20, 5:28pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Wow, that's the first time I've ever posted at the exact same time as someone else : )

Old 2006-07-20, 5:31pm
Contessa Glass

So increasing oxygen might help? I hope so, I'll try, I think I'm going to get silver around the edges still like you do Jodie.

Old 2006-07-20, 5:40pm

Give them a quick dip in Whink (brown bottle can be found at Walmart in the cleaning aisle as a general rule) scrub with paper towel and rinse thoroughly. Wear protective gloves...just like the bottle says.

It doesn't take long.
I have some in a small plastic bottle frit comes in (minus frit of course), drop in bead, swirl around with old piece of bent mandrel, fish out with same mandrel, wipe clean, rinse thoroughly. Should be pretty Purple. If you have a stubborn spot just dip q-tip in solution and rub then rinse.

After you are finished you will see some specks of stuff floating around in the jar, just ignore them, cap the jar & put it as high out of reach of little hands along with your bottle and etching solution as you can get it. It lasts forever and you can always add more to the jar when needed.

Oh BTW it works wonder with greying Copper Green too

= finally

= Nada
On a Minor with a Regalia
Old 2006-07-20, 5:46pm
Certified Glassaholic!

In a pinch Coke works as well.

Old 2006-07-20, 5:52pm
Contessa Glass

OMG- I just realized I posted this in the family room. Mods, please move this to Technical....thanks. Brain dead toddler-mom here....

Whink and Coke? can it be that simple, I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to get both and thanks for the help!

Last edited by GlassyLynn; 2006-07-20 at 5:54pm.
Old 2006-07-20, 5:56pm
Certified Glassaholic!

If you already have etching solution/cream that works well. I usually just dunk my bead and rinse quickly. 2 seconds of rubbing with etching stuff gets all the grey silvery stuff off. I use it on copper green, turquoise, purples...anything that reduces.

Cheers,

-Yee

Old 2006-07-22, 1:12am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by briatha
Give them a quick dip in Whink (brown bottle can be found at Walmart in the cleaning aisle as a general rule) scrub with paper towel and rinse thoroughly. Wear protective gloves...just like the bottle says.

It doesn't take long.
I have some in a small plastic bottle frit comes in (minus frit of course), drop in bead, swirl around with old piece of bent mandrel, fish out with same mandrel, wipe clean, rinse thoroughly. Should be pretty Purple. If you have a stubborn spot just dip q-tip in solution and rub then rinse.

After you are finished you will see some specks of stuff floating around in the jar, just ignore them, cap the jar & put it as high out of reach of little hands along with your bottle and etching solution as you can get it. It lasts forever and you can always add more to the jar when needed.

Oh BTW it works wonder with greying Copper Green too

I looked tonight in wally world for Wink and coudnt find it . .. whats it made for as in toilet , kitchen .. silver tarnish cleaner ???

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-07-22, 4:29am
Cheesehead Packer lover

It's usually by the cleaning supplies. I't is supposed to be a rust remover, my mother paints china and she told me about it. Abottle will last a really long time.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-07-22, 4:35pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

K .. thanks , I will check again

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-07-22, 4:45pm

Thanks Cherie for answering Silkys question. I was at a show all day and just now got home and grabbed a bite to eat while reading some posts.

I hope you can find it. If not ask a clerk where it is.

= finally

= Nada
On a Minor with a Regalia
Old 2006-07-22, 8:52pm
The Crazy One

You could also try "the works" toilet bowl cleaner. It's less than a buck, works very quick and you can get it at wally world. I use it quite often with purples and turquoise, somehow it's easier than chasing the metal out with a high O2 flame.

Sign me lazy and cheap!