Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-13, 9:39am
Missing presumed fed

Well, that's weird. But the beads are nice. It's funny that the end of the rod doesn't strike, but stays gray. Maybe it's a reduction effect in the kiln.
Old 2006-10-13, 10:40am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio
I bought a batch of light gray from Frantz over a year ago and everytime I try to use it it strikes to a weird silverish, or maybe dusty pink.

Here's a picture of some beads I just pulled out of the kiln using the gray along with the actual gray rod I used to make them. I don't know why it happens, but it does.
Wow--that's cool!And your beads are beautiful!!
When you look at the end of the rod do you see any pink rings or is it plain grey? thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-13, 10:49am
Oh No You Didn't!

Actually, I was wrong about the color. It's not Light Gray, it's Gray Pearl.

There's no pink in the rod anywhere that I can see. And the pink comes out in the flame before it ever sees the inside of the kiln so it's not the kiln.

Oh, and thank you for the compliment on the beads.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-13, 11:14am
yukue fumei

Grey Pearl?
woohoo! I have some of that!
Gotta play with it and see if I can get some of that pretty pink!
Thanks so much!

nagi

Old 2006-10-13, 11:48am
Oh No You Didn't!

Nagi, let me know if you get the pink too or if it's me doing something that's causing it.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-13, 7:47pm
yukue fumei

I'll check it out tonight

OK-checked it out and it does turn pink in the flame for me but when it came out of the kiln it was grey....
Are you working it special? Maybe reducing it or oxidizing it?
Hints please!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2006-10-16 at 4:27pm.
Old 2006-10-14, 4:17pm
still making rainbows

OMG! I just bought some of the dark pink raspberry at a bead show today. It is truly the most to die for pink ever!!!!!! I can't wait to make a set out of it. It's SOOOOOO pretty. *droooool*

Lol, I am so excited about it that I just had to share that with everyone

- Janet

Old 2006-10-16, 4:27pm
yukue fumei

Yay!!!

nagi

Old 2006-10-16, 4:36pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Nagi, I'm not doing anything that I know of to make it turn pink. In addition to the pink, I get a nice golden color too. I made another set out of it lastnight using just the pearl gray and black. I'm getting ready to photograph them now. I'll post the picture here in a few minutes.

I have yet to be able to make a gray bead out of this. It always turns pink on me.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-16, 7:08pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Okay, here's a picture I made lastnight using the pearl gray. That's all I used in these is a pearl gray base and then decorated with black and pearl gray stringer. So there's only 2 colors in these beads. I dont know where the pink or the gold comes from but I really like the effect.

I bought my pearl gray over a year ago when I wanted some gray for a set but when it turned pink I never tried using it again until last week. I get pink no matter what I do.

Maybe I just got a weird batch? I've never bought anymore so I have no way of telling if it's the batch or something I'm doing to it.

Maybe we can trade a rod and see what you get with mine and I can see if I still get pink with yours. I'll even send you one of the beads I made last night with mine so you can get a good look at the color I'm getting. The gold is showing a pretty metallic sheen in the light. Here are the pictures.

I'm going to post in the Family room and see if anyone else gets pink with their pearl gray.
Attached Images

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-16, 7:25pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice

6. This is the only downside to this glass - every single rod of the batch I got has small holes running down the center, which creates large bubbles in the glass when it's melted. Some of these got so big they popped when I made a spacer. So I had to mash the glass a little to pop some of the holes. This is the only reason I may hesitate to buy this glass again. Hopefully the next batch won't be that way.

7. This glass can be shocky - it reminds me of normal 256 in that you need to warm it slowly.
This is actually the second batch of this pink that Frantz has gotten and both have bubbles. The bubbles are actual tunnels of air all the way down the rod and I think that that is what makes the rods so shocky. This newest batch though is also producing smaller bubbles as you melt it to pull stringers and yep, I kept popping the bubbles too. The first batch didn't do that. It's a gorgeous pink and I can't stop using it. These were made with the first batch:

I think the newer batch may be a tad darker. I have beads in the kiln with it

Old 2006-10-16, 7:26pm

I haven't tried any of the new pinks they looks awesome! Especially the new EDP and the Raspberry Sherbet, Yum!

As for that Pearl Gray color that you are getting the sheen on, that is awsome! I love the way that looks. I think I have some of this that I have barely used. I think I used it like once maybe a couple years ago. For some reason I never seem to use gray and seem to avoid it.

I need to get mine out to play. This would look great with lots of colors I bet.

Here is a photo of mine along with a used rod from the last time I had ever tried it. I don't recall getting any kind of sheen with it, but I may have only used it as stringer detail or experimented a bit and didn't really play and try to do anything with it. The used rod has that pinkish cast to it a bit. I can't totally read the number on it, as the last number sort of wore off, but it looks like the last three number are 255.

Old 2006-10-16, 7:48pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Your Pearl Gray looks different than mine. Mine doesn't have a pink cast to it at all. And the number is P-268 from Arrow Springs. Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Images

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-16, 8:13pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio
Okay, here's a picture I made lastnight using the pearl gray. That's all I used in these is a pearl gray base and then decorated with black and pearl gray stringer. So there's only 2 colors in these beads. I dont know where the pink or the gold comes from but I really like the effect.

I bought my pearl gray over a year ago when I wanted some gray for a set but when it turned pink I never tried using it again until last week. I get pink no matter what I do.

Maybe I just got a weird batch? I've never bought anymore so I have no way of telling if it's the batch or something I'm doing to it.

Maybe we can trade a rod and see what you get with mine and I can see if I still get pink with yours. I'll even send you one of the beads I made last night with mine so you can get a good look at the color I'm getting. The gold is showing a pretty metallic sheen in the light. Here are the pictures.

I'm going to post in the Family room and see if anyone else gets pink with their pearl gray.
WOW--thank you thank you!!!
I'd love to trade some grey(and a bead--wowie!!)!
Please PM me your addy and I'll PM you mine
I'll send you a rod each of the new pinks and EDP too

nagi

Old 2006-10-16, 10:43pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Nagi, I just Pm'd you.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2006-10-17, 7:50am
yukue fumei

WOOHOO!
Thanks so much!!!

nagi