No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-10, 8:28pm
Anna Duhame

Default Floral Secret Recipes

I have a couple that I thought I would share...I just think these are the greatest. If anyone else has any they don't mind sharing that would be great.

Stem cane-

start of with vetrofond ocher (really kind of a nasty pukey color)...roll in Iris Amber Green Frit and melt in...encase with dark emerald, and pull. You could also add a line (or two of intense black before encasing).

Iris Amber Green frit is my secret ingredient for any greenery...I have used it with every shade of green and I think it enhances them all.

When you pull it it kind of gives a natural striated look that has a subtle glow. When I use a bright shade of green as a base I encase with either clear or a light amber...to tone down the green a bit. With that pukey ocher I use a bright green and it gives it more of an olive cast. The bead below has greenery with this combination. The base also has a bit of iris amber green frit swirled across.

Pretty pink petals-

I just tried this one today and it works perfectly for pink peonies or roses. I start with a base of white and then roll in Glass Diversions Pretty in Pink Frit...then encase in clear....pull. It gives the petals a streaky pink with tones of light and dark that looks very natural and kind of watercolor-like. I can't wait to play with this combination some more.

A really nice shade of red can be made by using coral and topping with dark amethyst....it gives a nice muted red...as shown here:

I am just really pleased with these discovery so I wanted to share.

Also, I have been getting floral plant catalogs for inspiration. A really fantastic catalog is I think called Plant Delights or something similar. Those catalogs are beautiful..and humorous.

Here is the link:
www.plantdelights.com

other helpful catalogs:

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/
http://dutchbulbs.com/
www.jacksonandperkins.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-01-10 at 8:34pm.
Old 2006-01-11, 3:00am
Embracing My Wonkiness

I love that red, Anna! Thanks!

Lil
Old 2006-01-11, 5:31am
Jeff's Personal Bartender

This is great stuff!! Any idea which of the zillion shades of coral you used for that red??

Amy

Ebay ID:
Old 2006-01-11, 10:06am
Anna Duhame

Yes, sorry about that...more of an orangey red coral gets that red in the poinsettia. Duh, I just bought some and there are several colors in the bunch.

Also (and I just discovered it this morning)...you can get a bright shocking pink when you combine that Pretty in Pink frit with a "pinky-red" coral and pull. Whenever I use frit it creates these great streaks of color.

Depending on which shade of green you use of course effects the stem....avocado is nice...nile green is really gorgeous.

I also encase ever single stringer I make for raised florals...it makes them sturdier for more stringer control and keeps the color where I want it.

This is what I also do on my undersea beads...I encase the hell out of everything! LOL

Another picture of that red in action....and the green.

The green is IAG frit and intense black on nile green.

Old 2006-01-11, 10:18am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Do you ever have COE compatibility issues with the mixing of frits and encasing them, etc?

Old 2006-01-11, 10:22am
Anna Duhame

You know what? I never have. I use a fairly thin layer of casing, but even when I don't I don't have problems. Dumb luck, I guess...lol.