No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-23, 1:28pm
You can call me Slater

Default Question about enamels?

I bought a sample pack of every color in the Moretti line, so here's my question:

1. What enamel colors look really nice together and on what base color?

2. Can you get some cool reactiveness going on with certain base colors and enamels?

3. How do you apply the enamels ie: roll it on, shake it on, etc....?

I appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks!!!!
Old 2006-06-23, 4:54pm
You can call me Slater

Nobody has any suggestions???????
Old 2006-06-24, 2:35am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I use an enamel sifter held over a paper coffee filter (don't set the paper on fire!) I find I like that better than rolling the bead in it.

As for colors, I'd say play play play! Use the white to soften the darker colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-24, 5:22am

Penny -- Take a look at some of the links in the 'Enamels' section on this page: http://sgb-midatlantic.org/how-tos.html

I don't "shake" it on or sift it on. That woud put much of the powder into the air, in my opinion. I prefer to keep the enamel as 'quiet' and undisturbed as possible. Rolling or pressing the bead in it is an excellent plan.

I haven't discovered any really outstanding reactions, but I haven't experimented with every single color yet.

JanMD
Old 2006-06-24, 9:47pm
You can call me Slater

Thank You ladies for the info!!!
Old 2006-06-25, 10:29pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Question Speckle Look on Beads

Does anybody know how to get that speckled look...a kind of spatter or stone look effect on beads with enamels? Do you have to use something coarser than the powder or will the powder draw up when heated? I really want to try some enamels, but I'm not sure what to get. On the Thompson's site they talk about 6/20 Mesh and 80 Mesh and 6/20 mesh (lump). I assume the 6/20 Mesh is more like frit, so is this what I need? It seems like the coarser stuff might be a little safer to use.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, Penny. I just thought that since we're both new to enamels we could both benefit from some answers.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-06-26, 2:30am
-boring beads-

Hi there....
I donīt use enamel sifters (we donīt get them here), but little film containers...and I drilled some little holes into the lids. Works like a charm. I use coffee filters, too.
Furthermore I use a spoon...rolling the bead in the enamel gets you an even surface.
About the speckled look, maybe there are other ways, but here is how I do it:
after applying several layers of different enamels...just flash the bead through the flame, not heating it completely. Enamel melts faster than the glass...so it will lump up sorts of and create that speckled look.
To create reactions you may want to cook the bead...the enamel gets you a smooth and glossy surface then, with the colors mixing.
I use Thompson enamels.
As for color reaction...experiment!

Hope this helps!
Anastasia
Old 2006-06-26, 5:42am

Kate's book has quite a bit in it about using enamels --> "The Enamel and Electroform Decorated Beads of Kate Fowle Meleney". More info on it is here: http://katefowle.com/book.htm.

If you ever get a chance to take a class from either Kate or from Jennifer Geldard, by all means do so. Both cover the use of enamels.

On this page here -- http://katefowle.com/gallery.htm -- in the pic called "Shells" you can see two stone-look beads on the edges of the photo. Is that what you're going for with the 'speckled' look? If so, just mix equal parts of regular black and white enamel on the surface of a marver (use a little spatula or the tip of your palette knife to mix it up -- you don't need a lot), roll the hot bead in the mix and re-heat. The two colors will stay distinct -- they really do! Use any two colors for this speckled look, just make sure that they contrast -- a light and a dark. (You don't need the larger mesh sizes for this. Just stick with the 80 mesh.)

Use white mixed with Brilliant Blue (color #9660) for a nifty denim look -- Jen Geldard's trick!. You can see that denim look in parts of some of Jen's beads on this page: http://www.glassgirl.com/ornate_series_beads.htm.

Other things to try:
-- Layer enamel under and over frits. Some frits burst through the enamel and make a very interesting pattern. Some enamels burst through some frits. A wild ride!
-- Make stringer with enamel over various base glass colors. Mix it up. Experiment!
-- Layer enamel over and under silver (or copper) leaf. See what happens.
-- Make twisties using enamels. The colors stay very distinct and concentrated.

Once more, avoid shaking enamels on (like you would use a salt shaker) or sifting it on, if at all possible. These application methods get too much of it airborne and into your lungs and onto your clothes. Use a spoon (spoon it out of a jar) or carefully use a small dental spatula to place a bit of enamel on a marver-top, and roll the bead in it. Clean up all spills promptly with a wet paper towel. The powder will obviously stick to the wet towel.

JanMD
Old 2006-06-26, 9:11am

Thanks Jan, for the wonderful information on ENAMELS...I've been wanting to work with them, and have been collecting information on how to do it. You had everything in a nutshell...wonderful info.

Kathie
Old 2006-06-26, 8:00pm
You can call me Slater

Anastasia ~ How do you use coffee filters with your enamels?
Old 2006-06-26, 8:32pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Thanks so much Anastasia & JanMD for taking the time to help! These are just the kind of details a beginner needs! All the info I've seen online so far is really thin in regard to enamels and mostly about using the enamels safely. I really understand the safety issues, but this is the first technique information I've gotten that makes sense. I realize there are books and DVDs out on the subject and I'd really love to get one or two someday. But right now I'm investing in glass and it will be awhile before I'm able to afford a book or video. So I appreciate the help immensely!

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-27, 8:03am
Missing presumed fed

The Kate Fowle Meleney book is in Jim Kervin's series of booklets focusing on individual glass artists and is really a booklet more than a book. Unless they've gone up recently, they're $15 each, so they're a little easier to afford than some books. The problem, though, is that you'll want them all.

You can use a sifter to apply enamels. Thompson enamels sells small sifters in several sizes. You hold them over your bead and then run your thumbnail over the handle (which is made of twisted wire), which shakes the sifter enough to put a fine layer of enamel on the bead.

It's wise to wear a respirator when working with enamels. They're very fine particles of glass, after all, which aren't things you want in your lungs. A P-100 filter, which filters out very very fine particles, is what you want.
Old 2006-06-27, 8:39am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
You can use a sifter to apply enamels. Thompson enamels sells small sifters in several sizes.

It's wise to wear a respirator when working with enamels. They're very fine particles of glass, after all, which aren't things you want in your lungs. A P-100 filter, which filters out very very fine particles, is what you want.
Thanks for the new info, Emily! I'll check out these books for sure and add them to my wish list folder!

I have a teeny-tiny sifter I bought recently from Jo-Del. I felt that smaller is better...less particles in the air. My 2 packets of enamel powder (brown shades) have just arrived.

I think my firefighter hubby has a respirator somewhere. I need to check with him to make sure the filters are the ones I need. He's always so helpful! He works with boro (firefreak in the forums) and chose and set up my torch and oxy concentrator for me. I'm sure he will help me be safe.

Oh! I just can hardly wait to play with this stuff!

~Mendy

Old 2006-06-27, 9:09am
Missing presumed fed

The fit of a respirator is important. From the picture, it looks like your hubby might be a bit bigger than you, so a respirator that fits his face might not fit yours. There are disposable versions of the P-100 filters. They're sort of like the paper dust masks with the elastic straps that go around the back of your head, but much thicker and with a breathing valve in the front. They're not too expensive, but can be a little difficult to find. Sometimes you can find them in places like Home Depot or Lowe's (look in the paint department, usually). Otherwise, try online. There are a number of on-line safety products companies. I think Rio Grande also sells the right filters and respirators.

3M sells rubber half-mask respirators in small, medium and large that are available at places like Home Depot & Lowe's, where you can sneakily pry open the packages and try them on. When I bought mine, they didn't have the right filters, so I bought the mask but had to order the P-100 filters on line.
Old 2006-06-27, 11:06am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance
Does anybody know how to get that speckled look...a kind of spatter or stone look effect on beads with enamels? Do you have to use something coarser than the powder or will the powder draw up when heated? I really want to try some enamels, but I'm not sure what to get. On the Thompson's site they talk about 6/20 Mesh and 80 Mesh and 6/20 mesh (lump). I assume the 6/20 Mesh is more like frit, so is this what I need? It seems like the coarser stuff might be a little safer to use.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, Penny. I just thought that since we're both new to enamels we could both benefit from some answers.
I just took a class with Jen Geldard and she created some awesome demin looking beads by mixing white and brilliant blue enamel. I think when you mix two contrasting colors together well before applying to the bead you get that granite look.
Old 2006-06-27, 3:50pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
There are disposable versions of the P-100 filters. They're sort of like the paper dust masks with the elastic straps that go around the back of your head, but much thicker and with a breathing valve in the front. They're not too expensive, but can be a little difficult to find.
I think these are the ones hubby has. We used to work contracting jobs for extra money on the side before we got into glass. He tried to get me to wear one when we sanded drywall (I always got sinus infections) but I wouldn't because the work was heavy and I felt like I was smothering while working in one. Finally I just got the guys to sand after I helped them mud. So I have a practically new one somewhere. Sitting still and not exerting myself, I'm sure I could stand to wear one.

Problem is, hubby is at the firehouse tonight and he's the one who stashes our tools, so I'm just going to hold off on the enamels for tonight. That's okay, though, because my 15 lbs. of glass arrived from Moretti & More today (I took full advantage of their Father's Day Sale!) and I have some gorgeous new colors to play with tonight! They had another sale last weekend, too...so I have another 5 pounds along with more Raku frit coming. After our next show...if I do okay...I'm definitely going to get the Kate Fowle Meleney book and, Linda, I really want to try for that denim look, so I'm going to get some white and brilliant blue enamel. I also want to use some copper with the white enamel, because it's just beautiful!

The denim look is really ideal for our summer venue, since our customers are young and love to macrame. Being a newbie, my beads aren't of the quality yet for art shows, though hubby says they're really nicely shaped and getting better as I go. I sold $96 of my loose beads at the last show, priced from $1 to $3 depending on size and materials used, so I was VERY happy. It was the first time I offered loose beads for sale. I was shy about it, but the customers kept asking so I caved. Combined with my crochet & jewelry work I did great at that show! Thanks to all the nice, helpful artists here I just keep learning more and more and it's so much fun! Thank-you all so much!

~Mendy