LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-18, 8:16pm

Default GLASS VENDORS - Who are your Favorites?

Let me first say I don't want to open up a vendor bashing thread! Our lampworking group is going to begin having a "store" for the members. So we want to buy glass in bulk. We're East Coast and I imagine shipping costs will play a big part in the costing - maybe not.

Who do you recommend for service, inventory, price and knowledge?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 2006-09-18, 9:29pm
Ad astra per aspera

Arrow Springs for quantity breaks, reliable service, helpful phone staff, and variety.

Val Cox, Caliente (Michelle), and GG Glass (Gail) for the most drop dead gorgeous glass on the planet AND great service.

HotGlassColor for sexy new glass to fill in the palette from the holy trinity above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-18, 9:39pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

for frits, I'd recomend Glass Diversions. I like the blends and the service is great. Besides, Robin has foils, cz's and other goodies.
As for vendors I've only used one, more than once, Frantz.
And Caliente glass is great too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Giving
a try!
Old 2006-09-18, 9:45pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

Spiral Dance has great frits, too. Their service has been excellent with very fast delivery. And the prettiest packaging bar none.

Joyce

Old 2006-09-18, 11:28pm
burnin' glass just becuz

http://www.morettiglasscanada.com/index.html

best prices i've found on the net, nice people, very responsive to questions etc., love the fact i can SEE what i'm buying as they have pics of all the colours in stock.

they're currently offering free shipping for orders over $250 so combine that with yr 10-15% exchange rate discount and it might be a good deal for you to try some cross border shopping...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2006-09-19, 4:58am
Detail G-Mama!

For Creation Stations and didy shields give Jim at Blue Moon and hollar.

Old 2006-09-19, 5:08am
ManBearPig

I may be a little biased, but this is my favorite vendor...

www.soleiletlune.com

Old 2006-09-19, 5:17am
Susan

I shop from mainly 3 different glass suppliers at the moment:

Frantz Art Glass, I have always gotten great customer Service
LB Supply, again, great customer service
Wale Apparatus, This company has come into New England for various Boston Chapter ISGB functions, they are always very helpful and a nice selection of tools.

Old 2006-09-19, 7:22am
old fart

C R Loo has it all at

http://www.crloo.com

Old 2006-09-19, 7:39am

Howacoglass.com is in Mich lots closer than Oregon.
Old 2006-09-19, 7:45am
Beach Brat

I love Monique at www.jodelglass.com. She has a great inventory of Moretti, Vetrofond, Lauscha and Czech (Ornela) glass, as well as tools and other supplies. She also offers discount prices for bulk buying. Service is personalized, quick, and they are very responsive. Jodel Glass is based out of Rhode Island, and I get very quick shipping here on the East coast. I can't recommend her enough.

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2006-09-19, 7:48am
Angel-Headed Hipster

On Ebay: sungirl501

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2006-09-19, 7:50am
Covered in glitter

I'd call around to a few places and see who might be willing to give you a great price. If you are going to order many pounds of things, you might be able to get more of a discount than they note on the website. I'd probably start with Frantz or Arrow Springs for that. I order a lot from Frantz because I always get good customer service. I also like lbsupplies. JoDel has always been OK with me but I don't like the smoke smell on the stuff. I've never ordered from Arrow Springs because their website is just too hard to deal with. Even worse than Frantz! I've heard things about their customer service as well but I got my kiln from them at bead and button and they were wonderful. Disorganized at the booth, but very helpful to me in general. Glad I got it from them when I did. I don't use a lot of other kinds of glass so I can't comment on other places except for buying Bullseye. Kalera has always had wonderful customer service. I'd recommend her in a flash!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-09-19, 7:53am

I've got to say www.Lampworkingsupplies.com I don't use their shipping but they are in the midwest so I understand shipping is good to most of the country.

They have lots of boro and all the Moretti. I think some vetrofond also, but I don't remember.

I use GlassDiversions for my frit. I thought about doing a small 'store' for the Indiana group with either Bullseye or Lauscha but decided not to add to the mix. Good luck with the venture.

I've used JoDel and also placed a large order with her for a discount. She said she wouldn't offer a second because of our color choices. Just a heads up to realize any discount could change for future orders.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-09-19 at 7:56am.
Old 2006-09-19, 8:27am

My favorite suppliers are Colored Sands (www.lampworkingsupplies.com) for both boro and Moretti (they ship super-fast and have wonderful customer service), Generations Glass (www.generationsglass.com) for boro, and Kalera (www.bridgetownglass.com) for Bullseye. I order a LOT of glass and have always been happy with the glass, packaging, and quick shipping. The sales at Colored Sands and Generations can't be beat when they have them--I always stock up then.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-19, 8:44am
Oooooh Baby!

Wale Apparatus! The greatest thing is that I only live 2 miles away. The bad things is that I only live 2 miles away ($$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Old 2006-09-19, 8:45am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you are going to stock bullseye, I would recommend you buy the "studio rodz pack" directly from Bullseye ($357) This is 1/3 lb of all the standard colors (90 of them - they also have 4 lustres), with a full pound of french vanilla, stiff black and clear. The entitles you to 50% off on future rod orders of $250 or more. (you order $250 at retail and get it for $125). This is, by far, the cheapest way to go for BE.
Old 2006-09-19, 9:01am
Satake Woman!

If you want Satake I'd go with www.dogmawglass.com Oh wait, that is me!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-09-19, 9:02am
Eight Miles Wide

www.howacoglass.com

I love me some JameyLynn!

Old 2006-09-19, 9:14am

I'll add to the votes for www.howacoglass.com JameyLynn ROCKS (she's just a doll to talk to on the phone too!

Frantz is good for bulk buys if you CALL them first & do it that way--I've bought from bulk buys that were done that way--but the website is a horror.

www.spiraldancedesign.com has FABULOUS frit that plays great with a hothead

www.glassdiversions.com frit is FABULOUS as well (and gave us fab sample for the frit swap I ran too!! thanks Robin!!!)

www.ggglass.com is Gail Joseph & she's got frit to die for (and glass too, but I haven't gotten addicted to that YET)--she's just added 104 frit (ohNOOOOO) in a bunch of colors (someone stop me....)

For Bullseye I'd definitely do that "studio Rodz" pack thingy & then get the ongoing discount (drooool...I sooo want to do that....but...$$ & um...I can't even get my torch inside my house yet, rofl....where would I fit the glass? all my glass is living in a picnic basket right now, ha!)

I've only heard good things about www.glassdaddy.com too but I haven't had the spare $$ to order from them yet....

Sigh....better go buy the rubber "o" rings I need for my tank hose & go torch in the driveway before I start clicking links & order something I can't afford
(like that Satake...Jo--those colors just KILL me...I want those colors!!! they're soooo pretty!!!)

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2006-09-19 at 9:16am.
Old 2006-09-19, 9:39am

I adore ABR - https://www.dichroicimagery.com
For Bullseye you can't beat Kalera - bridgetownglass.com
For Vintage German Glass in 96ish - http://PhoenixArtSupplies.com - since I'm the only one selling it, I think it's a safe bet I'm the best

I've had good orders from a few others- but the ones abover were truly wonderful which is a joy
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-09-19, 10:20am

Ebay's sungirl is great too...

And DARN IT JESSICA....I clicked your link....(now go pack my order!...I want my green bubble glass yesterday!...how am I gonna keep that COE separate from my tiny group of bullseye--kept on a kitchen shelf--& my 104 kept in a picnic basket?...come on, I only live in a 2 room apartment!!! & torch in the driveway ....) It's too windy outside today...sun better come out soon...I gotta get off this computer
Old 2006-09-19, 10:27am

You'll never get better customer service than with ggglass. She's right on top of her orders, and there's no shipping charge for frits. I've ordered on a monday morning and gotten my order on tuesday--I think she's got a genie in the shipping department! Gotta love that!

Dawn
Old 2006-09-19, 11:10am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz
I'd call around to a few places and see who might be willing to give you a great price. If you are going to order many pounds of things, you might be able to get more of a discount than they note on the website. I'd probably start with Frantz or Arrow Springs for that. I order a lot from Frantz because I always get good customer service. I also like lbsupplies. JoDel has always been OK with me but I don't like the smoke smell on the stuff. I've never ordered from Arrow Springs because their website is just too hard to deal with. Even worse than Frantz! I've heard things about their customer service as well but I got my kiln from them at bead and button and they were wonderful. Disorganized at the booth, but very helpful to me in general. Glad I got it from them when I did. I don't use a lot of other kinds of glass so I can't comment on other places except for buying Bullseye. Kalera has always had wonderful customer service. I'd recommend her in a flash!
I'm not sure how long it's been since you checked Arrow Springs website, but they have recently revised it, making it a lot easier to navigate..! I had the same problems and would rely on their catalog, but now the website is much easier to deal with. They also have an artisan program that is free to join, and gives advanced notice on specials, which they seem to be running a lot now! If you go to their home page it will have all the information, and don't forget to check out their newest colors in ASK 104 Premier Glass!!! They are a great company and a one stop shopping experience.!
Vickie

My website:

Old 2006-09-19, 11:19am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoglass
Wale Apparatus! The greatest thing is that I only live 2 miles away. The bad things is that I only live 2 miles away ($$$$$$$$$$$$$)
ROFL I used to live an hour away from Wale and felt exactly the same way! I miss being able to hand-pick boro rods! Give my love to the gang next time you're there!

About AS....I've never used their website, I've just made a phone call. They're helpful and pretty good about warning me if something is backordered or out of stock. I placed a large order for dichro strips back in January and was told right away that they were just that day cutting and fusing and asked if I wanted to hold the rest of my order or not. AND they called me to let me know when it was going out. A+ for that!

Last edited by DesertDreamer; 2006-09-19 at 11:21am.
Old 2006-09-19, 11:32am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default I'll have to second that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
For Bullseye you can't beat Kalera - bridgetownglass.com
For Vintage German Glass in 96ish - http://PhoenixArtSupplies.com - since I'm the only one selling it, I think it's a safe bet I'm the best
I've already placed two orders with Jessica...and now I see that she has even more stuff on her new website!! Here we go again!!

Both orders were shipped quickly, packaged well, and you couldn't ask for better customer service. She has a great deal on a pound of 'dirty shorts' (shame on you!! It's glass!!), so you really should give her a try before it runs out! Also the colors of this glass are amazing! I even ordered one of the vintage cigar boxes she has (very limited supply), and have already found a dozen uses for it!! Better get a couple more of those too before they are gone!!

Great Job Jessica, you are off to a wonderful start!!
Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-09-19, 11:42am
FKA Stacia

howaco JameyLynn is great. Really good prices on glass. Shipping is fast and reasonable. She's just great.

Stacia
Old 2006-09-19, 11:43am
Cheeky & Impervious

I order from Lance and Maureen of www.flametreeglass.com a lot. Their pricing is great, their packaging is exceptional (never any breakage, no matter what UPS does to the box), they know all their products, and they are incredibly fast. She calls me within 2 hours with my final total, and any interesting tidbits I need/want to know about. I get my packages in 1 to 2 days.

Old 2006-09-19, 3:26pm

Wow! Thanks for all the info, it gives me a lot of possibilities to check into.
Old 2006-09-19, 5:19pm
Following my Dream

Moretti and More (Island glass) on Ebay Bill and Donell are great,very honest folks.I paid twice accidently thru paypal and they were fast to catch it ( I didn't and could've been ripped off). Also Jon at LBglass is super and if you PM him you get extras right now...look in the sales rack.

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...