Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-06, 1:44pm
still making rainbows

Default New effetre 256...anyone tried it yet?

Hi everyone!

Like many of you, I am constantly seraching for an awesome ceo 104 pink...I have ordered some of the new effetre 256 from Galaxy glass on eBay and am just waiting for it to arrive. Has anyone tried it yet? If you have, any thoughts about it you can share with us? Or better yet, got any pictures??

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-06, 1:57pm
yukue fumei

Hi Stargirl
I got the pinks and haven't had a chance to really play with them(I have the flu) but my initial report is:
The Cotton Candy is about the same shade as regular dark pink(which isn't dark pink) but it looks cleaner--less peachy. If you already have lt bubble gum pink 260 or dark pink, I wouldn't recommend buying alot of this color.
The Raspberry Sherbet(or Crazy Cane as Deonne calls it) is a wonderful variegated purply pink mix. I got a range from pretty purple to Bubble Yum Gum Pink Not a consistent pink for me but very very nice.
The new EDP is similar to the old EDP but maybe a bit easier to strike to that dark deep fuchsia.
I have pics in the camera but haven't gotten around to putting them in the computer.

nagi

Old 2006-10-06, 2:15pm
Contessa Glass

I have the 256 pink, it's actually a lot like the odd batch of light pink from May 2006, which was really darker than the dark pink. Love it!

Here's a pic...These are a base of the 256 encased in lauscha clear dotted with EDP. The spacers are all 256...

Through great effort and hard work, a precious dream comes true

Old 2006-10-07, 5:28am
sunscreen me baby

Very pretty!

~

Old 2006-10-07, 7:34am

Ive tried it too.. the pinks are basically the same...but I do get some nicer color reactions with the 256....when I apply Raku...
Denise
Old 2006-10-07, 7:50am
yukue fumei

OOoh, Deborah--those beads are PRETTY! Love the EDP dots!

nagi

Old 2006-10-07, 11:33am
yukue fumei

OK-here is the pic.
The new stripey mango coral looks about the same as the old one--PRETTY!
The new EDP strikes easier for me...
The Raspberry Sherbet varies between violet-pink to a nice medium pink depending on heat.
The cotton candy looks similar to lt pink, dark pink and bubble gum pink(not in pic)

nagi

Old 2006-10-09, 5:17am

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Is the Super Dark Pink from LBS Supply the same as the Raspberry Sherbet? I have some of it and the rod is very pink and lovely but the beads I'm getting from it are more lavendar than pink. I find it behaves more like EDP too - I have to strike the lavendar color and it will devit if not careful.

Cindy

Old 2006-10-09, 7:11am
yukue fumei

HI Cindy-
Wow--that super Dark pink on his site looks pretty. His looks lighter and pinker than the rods I got from Frantz.
The Raspberry Sherbet(also 591256) from Frantz is a purply pink but doesn't devit.. .wonder if you got the new EDP by mistake? The rods of new EDP and Raspberry Sherbet are very close in color.
Also, the rods I got vary in color from a gorgeous bubble gum pink to EDP purple but both shades melt to the same purply pink color.

Sonetimes to get the purple to turn pink I'll use a little tiny bit of reduction(and then back to oxidizing).

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2006-10-09 at 7:17am.
Old 2006-10-09, 6:11pm

I took some pictures of the test beads I made and the super dark pink rod. I put it next to the bubble gum pink rod just for comparison. It is different than the Raspberry Sherbet from Frantz I think but I could be wrong.

The bead holes are a nice shade of pink - maybe I could strike it to that color.
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-09, 6:36pm

I like that rasberry!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-10-09, 7:24pm
still making rainbows

Thanks SO much everyone for the responses! They have really helped. Can't wait to get my glass order now!!!!

I have one more question though...is the raspberry from Frantz the same as the dark pink crazy cane 256 that Galaxy Glass is selling on eBay? Here's a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Effetre-Moretti-...QQcmdZViewItem

- Janet

Old 2006-10-09, 7:27pm
still making rainbows

Whooops! OMG, I just realized that nagi answered my last question in her initial response! Thanks Nagi

- Janet

Old 2006-10-10, 1:21am

Wow - there are so many batches of this color! I just bought some of the crazy cane and also the cotton candy from Galaxy Glass.

I haven't tried the Super Dark Pink - where did that come from?

I have 6 or 7 batches of 256 and 260 (including bubble gum, etc.) - all of which are so similar it was a real disappointment. I am really looking forward to the new batches - especially from the pictures.

I have also not tried the new EDP or the Raspberry Sherbert. They sound wonderful, though! Damn - maybe it's time to make a drive to Frantz....

Old 2006-10-10, 3:59am

Kandice - the super dark pink is from LBS supply.

Cindy

Old 2006-10-10, 10:39am
mikefrantz

Default The 256 origin

The 256 from Sungirl and from LB Supplies and that which is at Frantz Art Glass all came from the same shipment. The entire 800 pounds that were received are all 256 dark, but in production some came out light (aka cotton candy) and the balance came out dark. Within the darker batch there is different tonalities, but for the most, they come out the same, while the cotton Candy (CC) is different from the darker color is consistant in color where as the bubblegum 260 has pink and white blended or not blended well. While the bubblegum pink 591260 is almost as nice as the 256 CC (for some folks) it is much less priced than the 256. The fuxia (purple) edp 591254 is the best production ever.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Sincerely

Mike F
Phone: 360-426-6712
Toll Free: 1-800-839-6712
Fax: 1-360-427-5866

Old 2006-10-10, 10:39am
mikefrantz

Default The 256 origin

The 256 from Sungirl and from LB Supplies and that which is at Frantz Art Glass all came from the same shipment. The entire 800 pounds that were received are all 256 dark, but in production some came out light (aka cotton candy) and the balance came out dark. Within the darker batch there is different tonalities, but for the most, they come out the same, while the cotton Candy (CC) is different from the darker color is consistant in color where as the bubblegum 260 has pink and white blended or not blended well. While the bubblegum pink 591260 is almost as nice as the 256 CC (for some folks) it is much less priced than the 256. The fuxia (purple) edp 591254 is the best production ever.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Sincerely

Mike F
Phone: 360-426-6712
Toll Free: 1-800-839-6712
Fax: 1-360-427-5866

Old 2006-10-10, 1:07pm

Thanks Mike - that helps a lot!

Old 2006-10-10, 3:03pm

So, Mike does that mean my Super Dark Pink is dark cotton candy?

Old 2006-10-10, 10:26pm
HourGlass Studio

All these new pinks are so confusing. I ordered some of all of the pinks from a few diff suppliers just because they all had diff names. In the end I dont know what I am getting.

Old 2006-10-11, 1:25pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I just wish sellers would name their stock the same name as the supplier. Is that too much to ask? I mean if Galaxy Girl got the pink from Mike why can't she give the pink the same name Mike gave it? At what point does it stop being creative marketing and start being deception?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-10-11, 1:51pm
Missing presumed fed

How is the latest batch of EDP with regard to devit? Does it behave well, or is it prone to going white and scaly?
Old 2006-10-12, 7:48am
yukue fumei

Hi Emily-
here are some test beads of EDP. The photo came out more blue and a shade lighter than the actual beads(the color looks more like the paddle in the original post). I got a variety of rich colors, from violet tones to reddish tones. The test bead at the bottom is from an old batch of EDP.
I still get devit on the bead ends if I strike to fuchsia(Ingridh's technique from WC), but not on beads I heat to glowing and pop in the kiln. Oh, and it still devits some other colors

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2006-10-12 at 7:56am.
Old 2006-10-12, 5:28pm

It's official. I'm in love! I got my batch of 256 Dark Pink that's the new crazy stuff sold by Galaxy Glass. It's gorgeous! I played with it some yesterday, and the color is just sublime. Here are some tips for everyone -

1. According to what I have seen, this is the same as the Super Dark Pink sold by LBSupply, and the same as Raspberry Sherbert sold by Frantz. I looked, but can't find it anywhere right now, so I am so glad I got some!

2. The pic above that shows spacers made by this color is really accurate to the color I got, except mine is slightly more purply. It's still a gorgeous dark pink, though.

3. This is the closest color to Streaky Pink I have found - and this is darker even. A gorgeous cool pink.

4. This color is a lot easier to strike than any of the other pinks out there, including Streaky Pink. The longer you work it, the darker and more purple it gets. It's not nearly as dark as EDP, but it approaches that shade. I would even venture to call this EDP light.

5. This color can devitrify a little bit - but the divit is easier to melt off than EDP.

6. This is the only downside to this glass - every single rod of the batch I got has small holes running down the center, which creates large bubbles in the glass when it's melted. Some of these got so big they popped when I made a spacer. So I had to mash the glass a little to pop some of the holes. This is the only reason I may hesitate to buy this glass again. Hopefully the next batch won't be that way.

7. This glass can be shocky - it reminds me of normal 256 in that you need to warm it slowly.

8. Consistency is almost exactly like Streaky Pink when worked, and behaves quite like it in the flame - even has whitish streaks before striking. I was THRILLED when I saw that!

I will have pics later on when I have time - I plan on making a set with this very soon. It's reaction with a few other colors is just wonderful. I am so happy!

Old 2006-10-12, 5:51pm

So basically, if anyone has any, and doesn't like it or wants to get rid of it, PM me!

Old 2006-10-12, 6:31pm

Kandice, You are correct! This is the best pink I have ever gotten also. I love the color. I too have bubbles- big ones in this glass. I pulled it into stringer and I popped all the bubbles before the pulls. The strange part is I still have bubbles. This is the strangest glass I have ever used. The bubbles are driving me crazy. BUT the color is also driving me crazy. I love this color. I am at war with this pink and the bubbles......... Why can't I just have it all?????? A fantastic color and the worst case of bubbles.......

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-10-12, 6:40pm

LOL - yeah, exactly!!! The only other color that's comparable in terms of bubbles is Opal Yellow. Damn - gorgeous colors, but the bubbles make me scream!!

Old 2006-10-12, 6:55pm
still making rainbows

ACK! And I only ordered half a pound of it. Is it all sold out already???

- Janet

Old 2006-10-12, 7:08pm

It looks like it - LOL - I only got half a pound, too. Bring it back, oh vendors!

Old 2006-10-13, 8:24am
Oh No You Didn't!

I bought a batch of light gray from Frantz over a year ago and everytime I try to use it it strikes to a weird silverish, or maybe dusty pink.

Here's a picture of some beads I just pulled out of the kiln using the gray along with the actual gray rod I used to make them. I don't know why it happens, but it does.
Attached Images

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon