Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-10-20, 8:08pm

I so want to go up to Hagerstown and camp out at the UPS depot tonight! My Cricket is on its way from GTT and should be to Hagerstown in the morning. I'll just save them the rest of the trip. Kids have already been told that if I'm not home when the UPS guy comes and they don't get to the door in time to sign for the box (mind you they are 17 and 19 yrs) it will not be pretty when I get home Can't wait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-20, 8:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
I was working Bullseye and I was probably about 4-6 inches out in the flame.

Thanks for the help. I'll give this a try. I'll have to try and get a better idea of how long my candles are.

I'm pretty much moving from a MiniCC to the Cricket. I also got a Betta last month right before the Cricket was announed. But I only used the Betta once. The Cricket flame is significantly different from the MiniCC. I wanted a more focused flame for boro work because I found the MiniCC to be very fluffy on NG. I like the Cricket flame. It is radiant without being excessively fluffy. And the pinpoint flame on the Cricket is vastly superior to the MiniCC pinpoint. But I'll probably switch the Betta back in this weekend to test drive it a bit more to see what I think.

Thanks again for your helpful hints
I would love to hear what you think the differaces are between the betta and the cricket. I have the betta and would love to know if the cricket is hotter

Old 2008-10-20, 9:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
....only folks who haven't ordered &/or can't afford can whine! (*giggle*--totally kidding here!)
YOU are allowed to STALK the postal service & UPS drivers though!!
~luna

hauling some jewelry to a show this weekend...sharing a bit of table space in exchange for a % & hauling tables.... some stuff sells...
Hope your show went well, ours last weekend was about half the sales as last years.

Robyn
Old 2008-10-21, 9:08am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I would love to hear what you think the differaces are between the betta and the cricket. I have the betta and would love to know if the cricket is hotter
I haven't used either my Cricket or my Betta much yet but here are my first impressions.

First of all, I'm using 1/4 PSI natural gas. I think this is now the biggest limiting factor in my set-up and I think it prevents all my torches from showing their best stuff

Boro -- I like the Cricket and Betta equally for working boro on my set-up. I think both torches are working better than my MiniCC for boro on my set-up. However, it takes a bit of time to work boro on the Cricket, Betta and MiniCC. I did a class where I worked boro on a Minor that was powered with tanked propane and tanked O2 and it took some time on that set-up as well.

So I'm now at the point of deciding how much I want to work boro. I have a 10LPM oxygen concentrator which I understand would power a GTT Lynx if I switched to propane. I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to work boro on a regular rather than occasional basis that I'd probably be happiest upping my fuel PSI and moving up to the next level of torch. I just don't think I have the patience level that is needed to work boro on the entry level torches. And I'm regretting buying the Betta rather than going for a Lynx since they're in the same price range.

Soft glass -- I haven't worked much soft glass yet with the Betta but once again, on my particular set-up, I think the Betta and Cricket are pretty much the same.

I think the Cricket is much cuter than the Betta. And if I was looking to buy a first torch or move up from a Hot Head, I think the Cricket is absolutely the way to go. I personally like the flame characteristics of the Cricket much better than the MiniCC. The Cricket flame can be fluffy but it's not too fluffy and when the Cricket is in pinpoint, it is a penetrating point which I like much better than the MiniCC's pinpoint.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-10-21, 12:43pm
Pyromaniac

Oh my gosh I can't stand it these are soooo cute!
Just got mine in the mail and the sparkle green is so pretty, emerald green and very sparkly!
Woo Hoo!!!!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-10-21, 12:53pm
I need more boro stuff

OMG Lana!!! I envy you...

Old 2008-10-21, 9:48pm

Oooooo .....the Pink Panther is on the way................i cant hardly stand it ...............
Old 2008-10-22, 7:29pm

O M G ............ its in Lexington ...........is sched to be delivered tomorrow.........cant wait to touch it will post pix tomorrow night
Old 2008-10-24, 7:10pm

Wow, 2 days UPS ground, that is the quickest shipping ground I have ever gotten. Anyway it is here and is just BEAUTIFUL!

Robyn

Old 2008-10-24, 8:20pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Got my sparkly purple one today.
Early Birthday present (just let my hubby know ).
Gonna hook it up tomorrow and play!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-24, 8:45pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Soft glass -- I haven't worked much soft glass yet with the Betta but once again, on my particular set-up, I think the Betta and Cricket are pretty much the same.

I think the Cricket is much cuter than the Betta. And if I was looking to buy a first torch or move up from a Hot Head, I think the Cricket is absolutely the way to go. I personally like the flame characteristics of the Cricket much better than the MiniCC. The Cricket flame can be fluffy but it's not too fluffy and when the Cricket is in pinpoint, it is a penetrating point which I like much better than the MiniCC's pinpoint.
Thanks for your thoughts Beckah, Im hoping to go to a cricket from my HH

Old 2008-10-25, 10:16am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts Beckah, Im hoping to go to a cricket from my HH
If you can afford to do it now, I think the Crickets are still priced at $139 -- which is a great deal. That's the introductory price -- I don't know when they'll go to the regular price.

I also like that the Cricket can run well on one 5LPM oxycon. Which definitely lowers the start-up costs. I wish it had been available when I set-up a couple of years ago.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-10-29, 12:20pm
Spell check please

I just got my cricket torch 2 days ago. Anyone have a pic of there's hooked up to the oxy and propane hoses? I have mine hooked up but the hoses are bent so far they almost have a kink in them. I am used to pointing the tip of the torch more upwords, like i used to with my minor. The brass fittings on the cricket are strait down, so when i hooked up my hoses and pointed the torch up like I'm used to, the hoses seem to be in a very tight curve. I had to zip tye them to the torch so they would stay put. Now with my luck i will most likely drip hot glass on the hoses and ruin them. Is there some kind of L shape fitting to put on the brass hose connects so i can get the hoses out of harms way. Or do i have to get used to working with my torch in a horizontal position. I really don't need to have another learning curve, my beads look like crap lately. I have a very small work space so if i have to point the torch more horizontal i will probably burn something in front of me. Like my tool box of glass rods or plastic box of frit. Any ideals would be much appreciated.
Elaine
Old 2008-10-29, 12:42pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefire View Post
I just got my cricket torch 2 days ago. Anyone have a pic of there's hooked up to the oxy and propane hoses? I have mine hooked up but the hoses are bent so far they almost have a kink in them. I am used to pointing the tip of the torch more upwords, like i used to with my minor. The brass fittings on the cricket are strait down, so when i hooked up my hoses and pointed the torch up like I'm used to, the hoses seem to be in a very tight curve. I had to zip tye them to the torch so they would stay put. Now with my luck i will most likely drip hot glass on the hoses and ruin them. Is there some kind of L shape fitting to put on the brass hose connects so i can get the hoses out of harms way. Or do i have to get used to working with my torch in a horizontal position. I really don't need to have another learning curve, my beads look like crap lately. I have a very small work space so if i have to point the torch more horizontal i will probably burn something in front of me. Like my tool box of glass rods or plastic box of frit. Any ideals would be much appreciated.
Elaine
I had a similar issue in that I am used to having my minor pointing much more up than I am able with my cricket. I didn't want to stress the hoses, so I pointed it more out than up and got used to it pretty quickly - I would consider clearing in front of the torch.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-29, 12:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I just thought of something - you could try adding a very small piece of 2 x 4 under the torch - something just big enough to fit under the base - to raise it off the table.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-29, 1:44pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Elaine
Hum....this is something that would concern me a bit, too! I've sold my Mini CC, and want to order a Cricket asap!!!

Does anyone know FOR SURE how long the intro. price will be available? I have to transfer from my PP account, then pay my CC bill so it's clear to purchase. I know GTT was looking into setting it up so we can purchase using our PayPal accounts, but I don't think it's quite there yet

I totally don't want to miss out on the intro pricing while doing all the $ juggling, so if it's going to continue with the "intro pricing" until further notice, I'm probably ok.

Thanks for the suggestion, Squid! I'd probably get used to it fairly quickly, and having worked so long on a hot head, it's probably going to actually be MORE COMFORTABLE to work in a forward/outward direction than an upward one, too!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-29, 3:19pm
Disconnected

You guys need a Japanese torch!

Old 2008-10-29, 5:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Well, for now, I'd be thrilled if I could find someone who would sell me their PINK or BLACK Cricket - yeah, right!

I'm thinking I'll probably have to call GTT and order since I suppose this is a "special order" color (would really prefer NOT purple - sorry Purp Peeps!) - so if anyone out there has a PINK or BLACK one they're not thrilled about (would have to have either the different color knobs or at least the different color ends on the knobs), PLEASE, PLEASE, SHOOT ME A PM!!!

I'm going to see if anyone contacts me in the next day or so, then it's ORDER TIME!

De

Old 2008-10-29, 7:24pm
PyronamixK

The Cricket standard purple is more of a Raspberry pink-like purple and not a grape purple.
Old 2008-10-30, 9:52am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Quote:
I just got my cricket torch 2 days ago. Anyone have a pic of there's hooked up to the oxy and propane hoses? I have mine hooked up but the hoses are bent so far they almost have a kink in them. I am used to pointing the tip of the torch more upwords, like i used to with my minor. . . .
Elaine, I noticed the same thing about the position of the barbs in pictures of Crickets before I ordered mine. It's sounds like you used your Minor as I did--pointed more up. After taking Jim Smircich's class, I re-aimed my Minor (before the Cricket arrived) so that the flame was closer to parallel with the table top. I'm doing the same thing with the Cricket but am still annoyed with the barb placement.

I have the base corner closest to me hanging an inch and a half from the table edge.

Old 2008-10-30, 10:36am
I speak Murrini!

I'm going to be securing my Cricket to my workbench via a Creation Station - the "clamp" thingie worked well for my Mini CC...hopefully it will be OK with the Cricket as well, with the corner pointed towards me. I currently don't have anything that is at the "back" of my workbench anyway, and do have a marble tile that hangs on the wall to shield it. We'll see...

De

Old 2008-10-31, 8:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
The Cricket standard purple is more of a Raspberry pink-like purple and not a grape purple.
Thanks for the input...I did sort of notice that, but if I can order one in PINK and still take advantage of the intro. price (plus the "special order" cost for the color, of course), I'm going for it!

I wrote them an email - hopefully it will all work out great!

De in CA

Old 2008-11-03, 4:48pm
Theresa

Quote:
Elaine
My solution to this was to remove the base and turn it 180 degrees and reattach. The torch is a little closer to me and my hoses go straight down - they no longer have the tight curve. This seems to be working fine for me and have not found any safety issues. Maybe this will work for you.
Old 2008-11-03, 5:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Teesa View Post
My solution to this was to remove the base and turn it 180 degrees and reattach. The torch is a little closer to me and my hoses go straight down - they no longer have the tight curve. This seems to be working fine for me and have not found any safety issues. Maybe this will work for you.
That is a good idea - I will have to see how that works for me. Thanks for posting!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-03, 5:39pm
Theresa

You're welcome!
Old 2008-11-03, 11:54pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
WELL, I DID IT!!! I ordered mine today - woo hoo!!! I'm getting that delicious pink with black knobs (which will have the red/green ends to tell fuel from oxy, of course!) I can hardly wait...maybe mid November, that figured

I'm trying to visualize your solution, Theresa. Thanks for suggesting it - is there any way you can take a quick snap of how your torch sits now? Do you mean you disconnect the "arm" that the torch is sitting on from the base, then turn it around? I'm terribly tired at the moment; my brain's sort of fuzzy - I'm sure this will make sense when I get the torch - but a picture would be wonderful to make eyes at

Thanks!
De

Old 2008-11-04, 4:54pm
Theresa

Hi De~ This is my solution to the bent hose situation that my DH didn't like. I detached the "arm" from the "flat plate" and rotated 180 degrees and reattached. Minimal tools required - a flat screw driver and adjustable end wrench. It did bring the torch closer to me which at this point has not been a problem. It works for me.
Old 2008-11-04, 5:50pm

Default Hot Hot Hot

HOT HOT HOT Thats all i can say! Not only is it HOT Pink it is HOT HOT HOT It melts Bullseye like buttah. My uroboros too. I LOVE this torch! Dont have a prob with the hoses as is. I do use a creation station. Thanks GTT for a super COOL HOT torch!!!

Robyn
Old 2008-11-05, 11:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:

Hi De~ This is my solution to the bent hose situation that my DH didn't like. I detached the "arm" from the "flat plate" and rotated 180 degrees and reattached. Minimal tools required - a flat screw driver and adjustable end wrench. It did bring the torch closer to me which at this point has not been a problem. It works for me.
Oh, Theresa - you didn't forget me! Thanks so much for the photo! I'll admit, having worked so long on a Hot Head, I'm going to want to tilt that puppy UP - but it looks like with this configuration, it still will bend the hoses, but not as extremely as when the "arm" is pointing (slanting) the other direction!

Thanks so much for doing this for me - and all of us!

De in CA

Old 2008-11-07, 8:48am
PyronamixK

Optional elbows (for the hose connections) are available for those of you who like to point the torch more up and down.