Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-13, 5:54pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Lydia - what a heartbreak to have such a gorgeous bead crack.
Even worse that it happened with a custom order .

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-13, 6:01pm
da General

Lydia - I am so sorry! You know, it was beyond a doubt in the original April 2009 Diamond Clear Incompatibility thread that cracks down the mandrel line were NOT necessarily thermal.

Amy - Northstar/Precision is STILL giving us lectures on how we didn't know how to make beads, thus causing the cracks. All the while it's Northstar/Precision who obviously can't make compatible glass - Diamond Clear of the past two years, your experience with that batch of da Vinci, and Waterfall (remember the second batch of Waterfall that they was NEVER pulled off the shelves even tho it wasn't compatible even with itself sometimes?)!!!

Judith - guess it really doesn't matter if it's cracks down the mandrel line or spider web! This is so wrong!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 6:03pm
Storm Queen

Yes....I remember the Waterfall.

Old 2011-03-13, 6:08pm
Artistically Absorbed

I thought of the perfect use for the diamond clear...punties for stringer and twisties! My only problem is that I have some mixed in with other clear,(oops) and I have a couple of different orders of it as well...some may be good and some might be bad! I really dont want to make test beads of each rod to see, do think if you punty the ends like you do with shorts you could tell because they would crack? I'm sorry about everyones beads! I have had some too. I wish I never bought diamond clear, because it sucks not to know if it is good or bad. The disclaimer, that is crazy! There have been 2 bad batches of DC if I remember correctly. I know I'm not ever buying it again. -Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2011-03-13, 6:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Oh Lydia... . That's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. I had a kiln full of bhb's all made with a base of Davinci...this was over a year and a half ago, maybe two years. It was a brand new batch of Davinci and all of my beads cracked. They were curved cracks and there were two or three on each bead. It was blamed on me. I was told that those large mandrels really soak up the heat and they were thermal cracks. I was given a lecture on how to put a bead in the kiln glowing. I was also lectured on annealing schedules, mine is so conservative it's already a joke. I was so stinking pissed...that's when I vowed to never buy Precision glass again. The whole DC thing had just happened months before too. Yes, I need to be treated like an idiot and told how to make beads all over again.
That sucks, Amy. I'd have been shocked had you told me this before I read their disclaimer but now, NOT SO MUCH. lol By the way, I bet I got some from the same lot. Nearly two years ago, I had the same problem when I used DaVinci as a base glass. All of my round beads cracked, so rather than causing a stink, I just used the rest of it for stringer work.

Old 2011-03-13, 6:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Lydia - what a heartbreak to have such a gorgeous bead crack.
Even worse that it happened with a custom order .
It did suck and you know, back in the day, I'd have sucked it up and just let it roll off my back but these days my sales are in the toilet as it is without having to deal with bad glass too. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it actually feels nice to get this off of my chest and to know that I'm not the only who has issues with Precision glass.

Sorry you've all had to deal with this too.

Old 2011-03-13, 6:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Lydia - I am so sorry! You know, it was beyond a doubt in the original April 2009 Diamond Clear Incompatibility thread that cracks down the mandrel line were NOT necessarily thermal.
Oh, I believe that Hayley. I made a bead with Cim clear that day and it was fine. No cracks.

Old 2011-03-13, 7:47pm

Did the original thread get wiped? I vaguely remember that is did. A shame.

I just don't get how Precision can not get it ... here are bead makers with years of experience and beautiful and stunning work having issues with this glass. It's not like we don't know how to make beads (and anneal) our beads ...grrrr.

Old 2011-03-13, 7:55pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm wondering why vendors would even bother carrying DC or any Precision glass for that matter? Even if they tested it before selling it it sounds like they would be stuck holding crappy glass they couldn't sell. I made a decision over a year ago to no longer buy any Precision glass and I'm glad I did. Double Helix gets about 95% of my business.
Double Helix is just a joy to work with. I've gotten sucked into buying Precision glasses, and just can't get it to sing for me. DH, on the other hand, ...

I've used Lauscha (reformulated) with all of my silver glasses without any problems, but the last couple of batches I've gotten have been plagued with scratches, so I've tried the Reichenbach and Aether. If Lauscha were scratch-free, I'd stick with that. I like Aether, but you should see how green it makes Dark Aurae!! I couldn't believe it the first time I used it, so I made another bead exactly the same, and got the nice blues and purples with just a hint of green.

My Diamond Clear went into the trash after 2 beads were sent to 2 different customers, only to arrive broken.

Lydia, that's a crying shame! What a gorgeous bead!

Old 2011-03-13, 8:00pm
da General

Betsy - Just to clarify, it was Lauscha Reformulated Soft that we had incompatibility issues with in one of my classes . . . the regular Lauscha Reformulated plays well with silver glass. I just find Lauscha Reformulated regular and Reichenbach 104 clear too stiff for what I use them for.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 8:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I can't believe that disclaimer .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-03-13, 8:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonjewels View Post
That sucks, Amy. I'd have been shocked had you told me this before I read their disclaimer but now, NOT SO MUCH. lol By the way, I bet I got some from the same lot. Nearly two years ago, I had the same problem when I used DaVinci as a base glass. All of my round beads cracked, so rather than causing a stink, I just used the rest of it for stringer work.
Yeah, I prefaced my cracking complaint with the fact that I had made literally hundreds of beads with a Davinci base and never had an issue before. I get a new batch and BAM!...all my beads crack. But it was still all my fault. Just for the record, it was the supplier/vendor that told me all that, not Precision themselves. I was told that Abe was going to be made aware of my "problem" but I never heard about it again. I felt as if I had been patted on the head. After that I switched to using Aion2 seconds as my base glass. Of course I've never had an issue since.

Old 2011-03-13, 10:01pm
da General

Okay I am confused. The disclaimer was found on ABR's website under the Diamond Clear description looking like it's stated by Northstar effective 1 June 2010.

Abe from Northstar posted this in a few threads: "Issues with recent batch of Precision Diamond Clear," "Filmy Diamond Clear," and "Diamond Clear still cracking" on 2 November 2010:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=177
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...21#post3268521
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...17#post3268517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
Hello this is Abe from Northstar I just wanted to let everyone know that we are going to come up with a way to make everyone feel better abou the DC problems and we will let you guys and gals know what we are doing in the next few weeks. We also hate to see this happen and feel sad that the DC has changed, we are not sure why. We love you guys and gals and care alot about what you do. We hope we can make everyone happy.
Abe
Perhaps Abe and ABR can respond and let us know what is going on?

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=7008
Quote:
NORTHSTAR GLASSWORKS DISCLAIMER
Precision 104 Diamond Clear

As of June 1, 2010, Northstar Glassworks will not allow returns, refunds, or exchanges for Diamond Clear. Please forward any questions to your distributor. Northstar has worked hard to address all cracking issues experienced by some people. Diamond Clear is an advanced clear for people who are willing to test and find the application that works best for them. Diamond Clear is very clear and if worked correctly will be scum free and will magnify any colors that are being used. Diamond Clear needs to be worked in a heavy oxidizing flame. For the least problems, play with your oxygen and propane valves to find the best flame setting for your application. Diamond Clear is a little stiffer than most 104 colors so it will cool faster than most colors offered by other manufacturers. The COE has a range of 103-105 which is compatible with all colors made by other manufacturers. When making mandrel beads we do not recommend pressing the bead until you are sure this application works for you. Make sure to use a kiln and not vermiculite or a crock pot. Make sure your bead is not too cold when putting it into the kiln. This will help eliminate cracks running down the mandrel. Cracks running down the mandrel are thermal cracks and are not the result of incompatible glass. If glasses are incompatible, you will get spider web looking cracks that seem to be everywhere. Make sure you test your Diamond Clear for the best application as all applications do not work for everyone. We recommend annealing the Diamond Clear at 940-980 degrees. We hope you have fun and enjoy your color and especially this clear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-13, 11:37pm

Well that's interesting. Not sure which end is refusing refunds/returns but it's not just ABR refusing. Though not as in-depth as ABR's disclaimer, I've seen similar notices on other vendor's websites as well regarding not accepting returns of DC.

Quote:
Okay I am confused. The disclaimer was found on ABR's website under the Diamond Clear description looking like it's stated by Northstar effective 1 June 2010.
...Perhaps Abe and ABR can respond and let us know what is going on?

Old 2011-03-14, 8:23am

Back to Clears! I found this wonderful blog from Laura in our tutorial section about Lauscha Soft Clear (half the price of some other clears). Here is the link in case you haven't seen it.
http://chestnutridgedesigns.com/sect....aspx?bp_id=11

As for Precision. I will wait until things are positive before I sell it again as we can't return it once we buy it.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-03-14, 8:30am
no more

Not much to Explain here guys and gals.
Northstar told us to put up their disclaimer if we wanted to continue to sell the 104 coe clear.

We are offering good prices on the TAG Clarity. It is stable and great!
We prefer to sell that for clear 104CoE when someone needs to ensure high % of chances of keeping the bead from cracking. Clear 104 COE.. rough!

boro anyone?? jk.

Lauscha/ Kugler/ Hammond Encasement! so many choices in 104

Old 2011-03-14, 8:41am

Maybe just say no to selling it and stock up on the other clears? It just burns me up that they can wipe their hands of ALL responsibility for their product. Wow! You probably won't be selling much of it anyway at this rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_ABR View Post
Northstar told us to put up their disclaimer if we wanted to continue to sell the 104 coe clear.

Old 2011-03-14, 8:50am
And silence is golden

For anyone wishing to dump their Diamond Clear, send it my way. My son uses it for "practice" in marble making. We have tons of broken up marbles, but he at least can perfect his skills without going through all of my other clear rods. One day, when I found a little time to sit down to the torch, I thought that I wanted to give Diamond CLear another try. There wasn't a single rod left of the pound that I had. He used it all up!
Old 2011-03-14, 9:32am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
We are offering good prices on the TAG Clarity. It is stable and great! We prefer to sell that for clear 104CoE when someone needs to ensure high % of chances of keeping the bead from cracking.
I TAG Clarity but what is a good price? It is $60/lb. on the ABR site at the moment, or $45/lb. if I buy 5 lbs.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-14, 9:43am
da General

Quote:
Not much to Explain here guys and gals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Maybe just say no to selling it and stock up on the other clears? It just burns me up that they can wipe their hands of ALL responsibility for their product. Wow! You probably won't be selling much of it anyway at this rate
Thanks for your reply, Cody. I have to agree with Cyn tho - just don't even sell something that the manufacturer is not even willing to stand behind!!! The disclaimer makes you look bad too, imho!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-14, 10:14am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Cody. I have to agree with Cyn tho - just don't even sell something that the manufacturer is not even willing to stand behind!!! The disclaimer makes you look bad too, imho!
Ditto. If I saw that on a vendors site while I was shopping I would probably leave without purchasing...anything.

Old 2011-03-14, 12:25pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
I guess, based on their disclaimer, this mandrel line crack issue is a thermal problem? Really? All of these beads went into 980 degree kiln that had been soaking for hours. When they were garaged, they were glowing red. If glowing red isn't hot enough, what then? Garage only when molten or white hot?

This one pushed me over the edge. This was a custom order. I photographed it, it looked fine. I sent the photo to the customer and billed it. When I went to ship it, I noticed that a fine hairline crack had started along the back side. Now it's cracked all of the way down the middle, front and back.

This is so sad. It was lovely Lydia.

Old 2011-03-14, 5:25pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Oh Lydia, a crack in a bead that beautiful is a crime against nature. I am so sorry
cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-15, 7:27am

Thanks Holly and Cara. I should be desensitised at this point. I sold a bracelet a few months ago that had a bead made with DC in it. Just heard from the customer and the bead has a crack along the mandrel. I would scream if I had the energy. This coming at a time when I had to replace two lost international orders. Between remakes of cracked beads and lost beads, I feel like I keep running head first into a brick wall. Of course the lost beads have nothing to do with the DC beads but maybe it's best anyway, that I should have to replace them, since they too were made with DC.

I ordered some Clarity a few days ago. Hopefully I can recover and put this all behind me.

Old 2011-03-15, 7:43am

Lydia, your not the only one. I too have had to replace international shipping purchases. Both going to Germany which odds are, never get there. There is something going on with German deliveries. They are two different buyers and this has happened in the past too. I am almost thinking of not shipping to Germany anymore. I can't keep making up for lost items. I really don't think that it's my responsibility, but I do it because I feel bad for the customers who don't get their item that they paid good money for. Uggggghhh....thank God I didn't start to use Diamond clear on top of it.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2011-03-15 at 8:37am.
Old 2011-03-15, 8:21am
Gimme that silver glass!

Wow, just WOW...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-03-15, 10:14am
da General

Quote:
Thanks Holly and Cara. I should be desensitised at this point. I sold a bracelet a few months ago that had a bead made with DC in it. Just heard from the customer and the bead has a crack along the mandrel. I would scream if I had the energy. This coming at a time when I had to replace two lost international orders. Between remakes of cracked beads and lost beads, I feel like I keep running head first into a brick wall. Of course the lost beads have nothing to do with the DC beads but maybe it's best anyway, that I should have to replace them, since they too were made with DC.

I ordered some Clarity a few days ago. Hopefully I can recover and put this all behind me.
Lydia - The more I read about people having incompatibility issues with Diamond Clear, the more upset I am with Northstar/Precision for continuing making Diamond Clear that MANY have had cracking issues with for the last TWO years! Not to mention its disclaimer making us the ones who are at fault when beads crack!

I am so sorry you have to waste your time, glass, and to have to replace already sold beads! It's heartbreaking to see you preferring to replace a supposedly lost package instead of dealing with yet another customer's cracked beads due to Diamond Clear!

I like Clarity too! With Aether and Clarity, we can all put Diamond Clear behind us! To think that Diamond Clear HAD the market with all of us who use silver glass once. It's a shame (and shameful) to see where it stands today!

Quote:
Lydia, you're not the only one. I too have had to replace international shipping purchases. Both going to Germany which odds are, never get there. There is something going on with German deliveries. They are two different buyers and this has happened in the past too. I am almost thinking of not shipping to Germany anymore. I can't keep making up for lost items. I really don't think that it's my responsibility, but I do it because I feel bad for the customers who don't get their item that they paid good money for. Uggggghhh....thank God I didn't start to use Diamond clear on top of it.
Cyn - Curiously we have had trouble with lost package to Germany too!!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-15, 10:20am

Well, this is interesting. I wonder how many others?

Quote:

Cyn - Curiously we have had trouble with lost package to Germany too!!!!

Old 2011-03-15, 11:21am

Quote:
Lydia, your not the only one. I too have had to replace international shipping purchases. Both going to Germany which odds are, never get there. There is something going on with German deliveries. They are two different buyers and this has happened in the past too. I am almost thinking of not shipping to Germany anymore. I can't keep making up for lost items. I really don't think that it's my responsibility, but I do it because I feel bad for the customers who don't get their item that they paid good money for. Uggggghhh....thank God I didn't start to use Diamond clear on top of it.
Seriously? Well. This interesting because that's where both of these packages were going to! I guess the custom's department likes beads a lot.

Hayley, you're right. It's a shame. I trusted that they were doing quality testing. Who's doing the testing? Us? lol

So far they've cost me nearly a grand. Not including the beads I lost LAST year when they stocked the market with bad glass.

Old 2011-03-15, 12:16pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Re: packages to Germany - I wonder if it would be worth asking on Etsy too, to see if it's wider than just beadmakers. And I wonder if it would be possible to get a group of you notifying an office there. If it's anything like the postal guy who was stealing the Netflix, it may be possible to get the person/people in charge busted. (Ok, color me an optimist )