Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-10, 8:08pm

Question And yet ANOTHER question...regarding color this time

I see a specific boro color a lot and was wondering what it is. It's a pale, slightly milky but mostly clear yellow glass.
It looks like this: http://www.pyramidcollection.com/prodimages/P21207B.jpg
and this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/64646225...facet=handmade (the bottom of it, anyway.)
Old 2011-10-10, 8:14pm

Possibly Pearl Yellow from Momka? Or is it Yellow Pearl? I had a couple of rods so you'd think I'd know but I play mostly with 104. Don't get me wrong- I can make a mean marble and use boro for that! lol

Hopefully someone else will give you better info than I have.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-11, 6:42am
Pyromaniac

The first link I'm not sure of, but it appears to be transparent non-striking amber, though it could be a lot of colors, blown thin. The second link looks like silver fume applied to clear glass - unstruck or lightly struck. Momka Cloud does something similar, but it's more translucent than transparent. I don't know how either would work out in a bead however, which is what I'm assuming you're aiming for?

Some other suggestions: NS warm yellow, GA Solara... try striking them and slightly reducing the surface. Solara is one of my favorite GA colors by the way. It can go yellow, orange/amber right into purple, depending on how you work it. Fun.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-10-11, 9:00am
Formerly Bakerman44

I think it's a heavy silver fume; I've gotten yellow results sometimes. I think it depends on the brand clear you're using. I don't fume much, so maybe someone can chime in who does fume a lot....either stomp my guess or confirm it.

The first link may not be fumed, but I feel confident the 2nd link is fumed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cornbread; 2011-10-11 at 1:33pm. Reason: bad grammar
Old 2011-10-11, 10:21am

I am sure that there are a lot of ways to get this effect both with commercially available color and with silver fume. My guess is its fume. Try them all and pick the one that pleases you.
Old 2011-10-11, 10:40am

I agree, the second pic looks like clear that was fumed based on the colors in the base and the fuming being heavier at the top. I first thought it might be an amber base but look at the the pic of the jar laying on its side. Appears to be clear base.

The first pic looks like good ole boro amber tubing blown into a pipe. The cloudy appearance is from the smoke inside the pipe.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-10-11 at 10:50am.
Old 2011-10-11, 4:32pm
boro color bender

It's fume... silver... kinda heavy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-11, 4:33pm
boro color bender

The first one is an incense burner... had a buddy that used to make that exact style... might be his... he just fumed them.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-19, 2:22pm
Capitalist Pig

Probably silver fume, NS Yellow can also look like that if you just want lines or dots.
More control on placement.

"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." [Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party]

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]
Old 2011-10-24, 3:23pm

I would agree, the first one, the incense burner, may come to you clear and get yellower with the smoke? The second one looks fumed to me, as well, the whitish part as well as the amber are both typical silver fume reactions.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-10-25, 6:03am

Even though the majority vote here (probably correctly) goes to the fuming factor, I'd say (like Sue) that you'd get that "look" from Momka's Yellow Pearl.