Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-03-22, 7:21am
DaveK

Default How they do that?

This is a tube implosion, right?

This is by Brent Graber BTW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-22, 8:24am

Gorgeous!
Old 2015-03-22, 10:01am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocake View Post
Gorgeous!
Yes, isn't it?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-22, 11:29am
DaveK

As long as I am promoting Brent's work, Here is a instagram video.

..and here is an interview.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-03-22 at 12:08pm.
Old 2015-03-22, 5:40pm

Thanks Dave.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-03-22, 7:43pm
He can do the origami

KA, Brent is very approachable. If you have questions about his technique you can ask him directly.

Otter
Old 2015-03-23, 4:31am

i always thought it was a slightly modified version of the solid rod compression tech...but i'm sure Brent will answer your question.
Old 2015-03-23, 9:24am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
...but i'm sure Brent will answer your question.
Not so much, but maybe he will have a class sometime in the future. Untill then any more ideas?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-23, 11:54am

have you asked? he is very nice and very approachable. i'm sure a simple question such as that, would not be met with "just buy my dvd's".
Old 2015-03-23, 12:10pm
Borovangelist

He's usually pretty forthcoming, but just a note, he's not on here as much (at least not posting)

|
|
Old 2015-03-23, 12:39pm
DaveK

Yes, I contacted him via coment on his Instagram. I posted here to get a disscussion going. I am starting to regret giving an attribution to the photo or even posting here at all.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-23, 1:34pm
Slogan Challenged...

Sorry, I think mostly that folks don't know. It is gorgeous work, and I appreciate you posting it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-03-23, 2:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Yes, I contacted him via coment on his Instagram. I posted here to get a disscussion going. I am starting to regret giving an attribution to the photo or even posting here at all.
I guess I really dont understand the regret. In my experience, how you do it whether its on solid rod or tube is irrelevant since there are many ways it could be done. I have made very similar pendants and marbles using solid rod implosions. Brents colors are really nice and somewhat unique. No one strikes color like him but the design is not. You may get better responses if you at least try to make it, hit some road blocks and then open a discussion concerning the problems. At least start the journey.
Old 2015-03-23, 4:42pm
DaveK

Most implosion/compressions, whaterver people call them, are not usually that shallow. Usually you can get the petals closer to the edge with a tube implosion more than with a rod. Yeah, the colors are amasing I didn't expect anyone but BG to know how to fume like that.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-23, 6:56pm
He can do the origami

KJohn, it's not that most folks don't know, it has more to do with respect for a fellow artist. This is Brent Graber's work. He is developing this technique and doing a lot of hard work and research. His sole income is from selling his glass work and teaching. He is very innovative and if you look at his body of work you will see two things, he develops a lot of varied styles and he, more than most is extemely generous in sharing his knowledge.

Most any artist with a little experience can look at this technique in question, deconstruct it and explain to you how it is done. Most people will have slightly different approaches but would achieve the same result. Most of us believe since it is Brent's work, it is up to him if he wants to tell you how it is done. To a lot of us it is a matter of respect.

Often, Brent will develop a technique, refine it for about a year and then integrate it into his class schedule. Brent teaches all across the country and has also had opportunities to teach internationally. So I can say without reservation he will be teaching this at some time. When he does decide to teach this technique, he will teach it in full and ensure his students learn and replicate the process completely. He will be the first one to say go and do whatever you want with it. Whether that is to make exact copies and sell them or integrate the technique into something uniquely yours, he will encourage you. The thing is, it will be ip to him to say it. Most people will have the respect to allow him to decide.

Otter
Old 2015-03-23, 7:35pm
boro color bender

Thanks Otter and all you other fine folks for the kind words. I must have missed the question on Instagram and i am sorry if you felt ignored. I am also saddened by your regret in asking the question, but i suspect it's because you didn't get an easy answer. I would gladly tell you how to do it if there was an easy way for me to do that. There really isn't. I've been working on this idea off and on for probably 6 years... lately i've made huge steps forward toward a flower style I am happy with... my brain is still churning and chewing on it. I have a ton of mixed results and when I do nail it down, I will figure out the best way to convey the information to the community... I don't have any secrets, but in the case of these pendants, it's complexity of process that keeps me from sharing "how-to" more than anything else. For me, it's not always about making money, but properly communicating information on some techniques takes a lot of time, so selling a DVD or teaching a two day class might be the best way to teach something... for those wondering, here's the quickie version... I make cane... a complex layered cane... cut it and bring both sides to a high polish... then combine those cold worked pieces with other colors in a pattern and implode it... there are so many variables that come into play here, it boggles my mind and I kinda sorta know what I'm doing after making a bunch... do i hope folks respect this tech until I can recoup some of the unpaid time i've spent so far? Oh heck yeah... and most will... I thank you for that... these are a ton of fun for me... i love stuff that challenges me on every level... do I wish there was less prep work involved in these? Some times... I can spend hours on a cane and not see what it looks like in a finished piece for 2 days... I'm getting much better at liking the results... they are finally making my inner perfectionist happy... LOL Again, thanks for the love and sorry if i missed a question... I hang out of FB most of the time these days... messaging me there is the best way to get in touch.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2015-03-23, 8:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Most implosion/compressions, whaterver people call them, are not usually that shallow. Usually you can get the petals closer to the edge with a tube implosion more than with a rod. Yeah, the colors are amasing I didn't expect anyone but BG to know how to fume like that.
Well I would have to disagree. Rod implosions can be just as shallow if the technique you choose allows it. Ive been doing them on rod for 3+ years and I still am constantly learning and discovering new possibilities. Pick a technique your most comfortable with work with it for a long while and make it your own style. You will then be the expert answering everyone else's questions.
Old 2015-03-23, 8:47pm
boro color bender

I am also doing these with rod and no fuming at all is involved...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2015-03-23, 8:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for clarifying that Otter. That was very interesting. And thank you Brent for posting, that was interesting as well. I've always admired your work. Fascinating technique and colors. Take care!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-03-24, 4:16am

you can get varying effects using rod or tube, all depending on how thick/thin your maria or bubble is...whether you even blow a bubble (some people just draw stringer on the tube itself w/o gathering or blowing an even bubble) and the angle at which you implode etc.

i'm starting to regret replying to this thread, because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. honest answers get met with semi attitude.
Old 2015-03-24, 4:18am

so it's essentially imploded milli on a solid maria? very cool idea.
i'm not even going to start the argument about "biting" because even if 10 people chose to try to attempt your technique, it would come out looking so different then Brents, that it's a non issue.
Old 2015-03-24, 4:57am
DaveK

Thanks for the explanation Brent. I have experimented with imploding cane and broken pieces of a wigwag. I have been trying to perfect a butterfly hovering over a flower (two implosions stuck together), so i was simply trying to figure out the shallow flower part was done. I didn't think this was someting that was part of a proprietay process. But I really liked your pendy's so I posted the pic as an example of what I was talking about. But I wasn't very clear I guess.

The gist of the Instagram comment was, If you give a class on the technique to let me know.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-03-24, 6:27am

Very cool Flutter-by, KA!
Old 2015-03-24, 6:46am
boro color bender

Ah, cool... I will be teaching in Portland some time this spriong, but we haven't nailed down any dates... as far as keeping it flat, that has to do more with when/how you compress than with what the implosion started as... I've made thousands of implosions and am honestly still figuring out heat layers and how slow pushes vs faster pushes work out... if you watch what's going on inside, as you do your compresion, you can really control a lot of it... for a more wide open bloom, I let my gather chill just a second or two resting on the marver... then when you start to push down, the lower glass is stigffer and doesn't move... the top glass is hotter and kind of opens the flower up more... there's a lot of control in the reheat process too... angle of rod... heat distribution in the gather... it all comes into play... I love complex stuff! Sure, it's frustrating too, but I'm never bored... LOL

Old 2015-03-24, 7:31am
DaveK

Cool. Hey if you ever find yourself in Eugene, stop by for a beer or jello shot. LOL and thanks Chocake (ړײ)
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-03-24 at 7:42am.
Old 2015-04-09, 5:05pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Brent, thanks so much for attempting an explanation! I'm excited that I had mostly guessed that was how you did it. The pendants are so gorgeous! I myself would love to see this in action. When you are ready, of course. Until then I eagerly await each new posting.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625