Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-21, 9:23am

Question Ponti question...

You are supposed/not supposed to use a pyrex ponti to attach to a piece in order to work or sculpt and is removed prior to annealing?

I spoke to someone who blows glass and states that 104 should never be used with 33 COE....

Who is right?
Old 2013-02-21, 9:27am
Salt Box Beads

I use 33 coe punties with my 90 and 104 for pulling large canes.
Old 2013-02-21, 9:29am

So you do combine the two... just to hold it in place right?
Old 2013-02-21, 9:31am
I'm meeeeelting

Many people do it, but you need to be very careful that you don't leave any 33 attached or melted to your 104 piece or it will crack.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-21, 9:32am

Great thanks so much!
Old 2013-02-21, 9:32am

and i love your avatar Artsyuno!
Old 2013-02-21, 9:50am
specializing in obnoxious

I like using a boro punty to pull my 104 glass. I can get my gather good and hot without my punty wilting. But, as mentioned above, I make sure that NO boro is in my final product.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-02-22, 11:46am

Considering the vastly different viscosities of the two, it's actually very easy to get all the boro off your soft glass piece. And the boro punty won't melt or crack like a rod of 104.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2013-02-22, 2:02pm
I'm meeeeelting

It's easy if it's not melted in. I've seen beginners get the connection so hot that it's no longer an attachment you can knock apart.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-02-25, 9:21pm
hyperT

Soft glass hot not molton. Pyrex less hot. attach your handle and reheat the boro a bit as you work occasionaly just a few brushes through the fire from time to time, If you do this right they will separate easily. With practice you will not chip the soft glass when you remove the handle. I just tap it against my torch to remove the handle then fire polish where it was attached. One can get good enough at this so you don't even have to fire polish after removing the hard glass. Practice seeing how cold you can attach them without problems. As far as who is right there is no way you can use pyrex with soft glass unless you know how to do graded seals. You can get away with a difference of 4 in COEs In other words you can seal a 90 coe to a 94 coe etc. I think the glassblower misunderstood you and thought you were talking about fusing them permanantly. Graded seals would bridge the gaps between the two glasses each grade compatable with the one before and after it until the difference is reached. I added that in because I can look into the future and know people will be asking what heck that is LOL

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-02-25 at 9:43pm.
Old 2013-02-26, 4:57am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I tend to use the coe of glass the item is made from as a punty.

if I am pulling murrini etc.. I make a big maria on the end of a fat boro rod and attach to each end before the pull.... you want as much surface of the end of the murrini covered with the maria as possible.... this makes for a more even pull and less waste at the ends of the cane from distortion as its pulled

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."